Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choosing secondary school for my son

Options
  • 07-09-2010 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi everyone,

I have 2 boys (10 and 8 years old). My 10 year old in 5th class now, and in 2 years he will be starting secondary school. I have applied to a number of schools years ago and now I need to choose the right school for him.

Wanted to ask your advice on a couple of schools in particular.

What do you think about the following schools or maybe you have kids in these schools. I really, really need your views on this please.

1. The High School, Rathgar
    2. Newpark Comprehesive School, Blackrock
    3. St. Killian's, Clonskeagh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I've heard the high school is good, and its mixed, which I think is better for boys as there is less emphasis on rugby and I think girls have a good influence on boys in terms of letting them have a side thats not 'look how tough I am'.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,367 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

the 3 schools are mixed. hard one, I'd go with location and convenience. Newpark doesnt have fees but Killian's do. I have only heard good things about Killians from friends whose younger brothers are still there.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

Does your son get to have a say in the choice of school? Next year when he's in sixth you should take him around all 3, get a feel for each school and talk to him, leaving him have a say in what school he would like to attend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Eradicate

See can you meet with the principal's of each. Have a look round and go with your gut

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Yuliyaucd

Thank you 4 all your replies. Yes, I will talk with my son and he will be visiting all 3 schools with me. I am glad that I did not hear any bad relplies about these schools, cos I am very concerned about school bullying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Obelisk29

My daughter attends High School (just started transition year) and I have to say we're very happy with it as a school.

There is a good mix of pupils from different backgrounds and it doesn't seem to suffer from the same snobbishness that many of the other fee paying schools seem to engender.

Most of the teachers are excellent and have a genuine interest in the pupils. There is a good range of afterschool activites - hockey in the winter, cricket in the summer - plus a range of clubs like photography and canoeing.

School grounds and infrastructrure are excellent- library, computer room, etc and the music block is very good.

High School was number one school in the country in a survey done by the Irish Times last year - there's a link to the survey on the High School website.

We did have a look at the other two schools you mentioned but I was put off by Newpark when I caught two of the pupils rolling a spliff in the carpark at 9:30 one morning when I was bringing my son swimming - his primary school uses the pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭RIRI

Hi OP

I'm currently looking at the High School for my son, it looks like a great school. They sent me out the prospectus & application form & it says you should enroll your child before theyare 9 years old so you may want to have a 2nd choice just as a back up. Also fees for 2010-2011 are €4950.

Advertisement