Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SAK Moderators

Options
  • 07-09-2010 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭

Was in pricing a lamp at lunchtime in my local RFD and seen he had SAK moderators for €49.99. I know people will probably say you get what you pay for and all that but any1 any experience with them? The lad in the shop says he uses the same on his .17hmr and reckons it does the job fine, any you lads have experiance of them? good or bad? was thinking of pairing it with the .17hmr he has waiting for me. He said he can send the rifle off to get threaded for me while im still waiting so it'll all be ready for when the paperwork comes through, the guy who would do the work is Tom Egan from Tullow. Any1 had dealings with him? opinions on his work? he said it'll cost €60/€70 to get it threaded.

What you lads think??

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Was in pricing a lamp at lunchtime in my local RFD and seen he had SAK moderators for €49.99. I know people will probably say you get what you pay for and all that but any1 any experience with them?

A similar thread about SAK mods here.
    ..........the guy who would do the work is Tom Egan from Tullow. Any1 had dealings with him? opinions on his work? he said it'll cost €60/€70 to get it threaded.

I went down to Tom for a replacement front open sight for the Sauer. I had never met the man before, but was refered to him by a dealer i frequent. He gave me one he had. While i was there he took the rifle, stripped it, placed it into the machine and recrowned the barrel. All while i waited. He said the crown was good, but could do with a "tweaking". He also said the barrel was very true and straight as it spun. When finished he re-assembled the rifle, but would not take money.

I brought the rifle to the range to re-zero and was only a little out. The groups tightened up nicely even with a few types/brands that didn't shoot well before.

He is a very pleasant lad to deal with and does work on guns without a fuss or even an effort. Seems to know his stuff and has some amount of machinery. Also as a sports target shooter and hunter i would have no trouble recommending him based on the bit of work he done for me.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Was in pricing a lamp at lunchtime in my local RFD and seen he had SAK moderators for €49.99. I know people will probably say you get what you pay for and all that but any1 any experience with them? The lad in the shop says he uses the same on his .17hmr and reckons it does the job fine, any you lads have experiance of them? good or bad? was thinking of pairing it with the .17hmr he has waiting for me. He said he can send the rifle off to get threaded for me while im still waiting so it'll all be ready for when the paperwork comes through, the guy who would do the work is Tom Egan from Tullow. Any1 had dealings with him? opinions on his work? he said it'll cost €60/€70 to get it threaded.

What you lads think??

I have a SAK on my 17hmr, great bit of kit, no probs. Know loads who have them. Good value

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

I have a SAK on my 17hmr, great bit of kit, no probs. Know loads who have them. Good value
    So no need for the peltors then no? and no field full of rabbits to a field full of nothing in one shot? If so im thinkin why not:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

So no need for the peltors then no? and no field full of rabbits to a field full of nothing in one shot? If so im thinkin why not:D

I have a sack on my .22 and it is fine. It makes it very quiet but then I use subs with it.
    You can't get subs for the .17 as far as I know so you will still have the the sonic crack from the bullet as it flies faster than the speed of sound.
    But as I said sack is well worth the money and does just as well as any rim fire mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I've a SAK on my HMR, does the job. Compared to the price for a bigger mod you're better off going with SAK IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Thats grand so lads cheers ill get the mod tomorrow!! reckon ill let him send off the rifle to tom egan to get the work done, i asked another lad if he knew him and he said he wouldnt send his gun anywhere else si thats good enough for me.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭chickenfarmer

I have a SAK on my .17hmr, I find it very good. Did a lot of reading up on moderators for the .17hmr recently and the SAK seems to come on top for the price. Compared to the higher end mods for the .17hmr the audible difference is very small.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Feidhlim Dignan

i have a SAK on my .22 can find no faults, strips down for cleaning and all. i reckon there the best rimfire mod on the market for the price

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

i have a SAK on my .22 can find no faults, strips down for cleaning and all. i reckon there the best rimfire mod on the market for the price

+1

Most every mod I see on a .22 or .17 here at the club is a SAK. A good few of the bigger ones as well - mainly .223 and similar.....

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Feidhlim Dignan

tac is the SAK proofed for .223? my one says only up to .22wmr and .17hmr

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭BELOWaverageIQ

tac is the SAK proofed for .223? my one says only up to .22wmr and .17hmr

I'd be interested in the answer to that aswell please

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

I'd be interested in the answer to that aswell please

No I think just for rim fire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭pajero2005

Would a mod make much difference to a .22wmr? I've had different lads give VERY different opinions. Some say they are great, others have said they make no difference at all. I'd be interested to hear from guys with first hand experience on the matter.

TIA,
    Paj.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

No I think just for rim fire

Gentlemen - my apologies - I got it wrong. Seems that they are Predator or Reflex T8 [red face].

tac

Advertisement