Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

90 Day Stay Then 90 Day Wait?

Options
  • 07-09-2010 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you stay in the United States for 90 days as a tourist/visitor, then you must wait another 90 days in your country of residence before re-entrance; essentially a 6 month swing.

I entered on the 1st of August and left on the 1st of September, so I imagine I can freely move back and forth for September and October (which I won't be doing due to finances), but what about from then on - the months of November, December and January? As I've only visited for a month, four weeks, can I return at any time?

This thread will be moronic to some, no doubt, but there's general confusion here. Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

The Visa Waiver program allows you to stay for up to 90 days. Additional stays get set back to zero, they don't all add up to 90 days. However, if you travel back and forth fairly often, be prepared to answer some questions from immigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

As Ruu said the clock gets reset to 0 when you leave the US (except if you go to Canada, Mexico or certain islands). Technically you can enter for 89 days fly home and come back the next day - but expect a lot of questions from immigration and proof of your ties to Ireland etc. Remember the final say on your admission is up to the border officer you get on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

The VWP is forholiday/ business, and not to live in the USA; you need to be outside of the US more than you are inside, but the border officers have leeway in how they apply this rule. When my now-husband lived in the USA and I in Ireland, I made good money and so travelled over often to see him for long weekends when I could get cheap flights. One October, it was my 5th time visiting in one year, but added all together it was less than a month's visit- they pulled me into secondary inspection and grilled me for two hours, went through my lugage, warned me I might not be let in next time, and gave me only one day longer than my return ticket (6 days, I think) rather than the usual 90 days. I was very stressed when I flew over again two months later, but they didn;t even look at me that time...

You going over again later this year for a month or so should be no problem, but you going over for 6 months may raise an eyebrow, as would you going over every second month for a month.

Advertisement