Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop slows down!!!

• 07-09-2010 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi there, I have a 5 year old laptop, Samsung P28 with Windows XP. I have followed all the advice about speeding up my computer but it still slows down after approx. 15-20 mins. I completed the following tasks;
    1)Backed-up
    2)Disk Clean-up
    3)Used msconfig to disable programmes on start-up
    4)Defragged
    5)Removed temporary Internet files.
    6)Removed downloaded program files (such as Microsoft ActiveX controls and Java applets)
    7)Empty the Recycle Bin
    8)Removed Windows temporary files such as error reports
    9)Scanned and fixed Spyware and Malware
    10)Downloaded IE8, but this was too slow at times so,
    11)Downloaded Google Chrome
    The 1 big ommission is the registry cleaning. I downloaded a programme that, quel surprise, suddenly wanted money off me to continue. I can't see registry being the issue. I'm at the end of my list and nearly my tether. Any advice gratefully recieved, barr the suggestion of a new computer!!! - V

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Ccleaner will clean the registry for you but I doubt it'll make a huge difference to performance after you've done all the other things. How much RAM do you have in the laptop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Five years? Reinstall XP most definitely. Also, it may be too low a spec at this point. Remember that even the OS gets heavier over time with updates etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Vikinghar

bhickey wrote: »
    Ccleaner will clean the registry for you but I doubt it'll make a huge difference to performance after you've done all the other things. How much RAM do you have in the laptop?

I have 448 MB of RAM. The problem happens most when I'm on-line. That could be because I'm on-line a lot, but the browser slows to nothing and clicking on Start does nothing either. I resort to pressing the button until it dies!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Vikinghar

Five years? Reinstall XP most definitely. Also, it may be too low a spec at this point. Remember that even the OS gets heavier over time with updates etc.

How will that affect my data files and installed programmes? PS - It was pre-loaded and I don't have disks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

448MB of ram is barely enough for XP with service pack 3, never mind all the other stuff You got goin on, antivirus etc. The pc was fine with XP when You bought it, but XP got heavier with each update and service pack. Add more ram, bring it upto 1GB minimum.

• Advertisement

Vikinghar wrote: »
    I have 448 MB of RAM.

That's just not enough to run XP for long before the RAM runs out. Ideally you'd have about 1GB for Windows XP to keep it moving along nicely. Throw out whatever RAM you can from it and get one of these instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

That's just not enough to run XP for long before the RAM runs out. Ideally you'd have about 1GB for Windows XP to keep it moving along nicely.

Seriously?

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sysreqs/pro.mspx
    Here's What You Need to Use Windows XP Professional

PC with 300 megahertz or higher processor clock speed recommended; 233 MHz minimum required (single or dual processor system);* Intel Pentium/Celeron family, or AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended

128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)

1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available hard disk space*

Super VGA (800 x 600) or higher-resolution video adapter and monitor

CD-ROM or DVD drive

Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device

I'd also suggest a re-install. And yeah you're going to lose all programs you've installed so might want to fetch any installation disks and driver cd's you have.

chin_grin wrote: »

Yes seriously. Let you just work away on your PC with 233 MHz processor, your 64 MB RAM and your 1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available hard disk space

Meanwhile the rest of us will just get on with our lives ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Yes seriously. Let you just work away on your PC with 233 MHz processor, your 64 MB RAM and your 1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available hard disk space

Meanwhile the rest of us will just get on with our lives ;)

I'm just jealous my machine is a pile of crap too. Yeah, didn't really factor in all the MS Updates. Ah well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Time for a new laptop:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭demonspawn

Planned obsolescence. Welcome to the age of consumerism. Years ago they used to make things to last, but they figured out that cut into their profits. Now they make things to break or be incompatible after a few years. My laptop is coming on 5 years and simply using Firefox for more than a couple hours will slow it down to a crawl.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭ikeano29

Sounds like over heating to me maybe. You should try cleaning your fans and also not have anything blocking your fans while using your computer. As someone said already, Ccleaner is a great registry cleaner and it can delete temporary internet files too. I was cleaning a freinds computer on friday which was about 10 years old and Ccleaner freed up 16gigs of space after it finsihed cleaning. So thats deffinetly worth a shot.

Advertisement