Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bulgaria

Options
  • 07-09-2010 2:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

I am thinking of leaving Ireland for Bulgaria, I have had enough of here. Anyone here gone there? Any experiences?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

interesting choice, why there if you dont mind me asking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Property prices are very low. Also the cost of living is peanuts compared to here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

I'll probably do the same sometime in the next couple of years. Have a gaf there in a town about 100 km from Sofia. I spend about a month every year over there at the moment. I love it, but I'm married to a bulgarian. It's difficult over there, a real challenge but I reckon I'll have a better quality of life. It's hard not to get stung buying property over there, even for the locals, so be careful. And forget everything you know about property markets - they don't exist as we know them in Bulgaria.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Hey Haddockman, I worked over there few years back.

Plenty of I.T call center jobs going for english speakers from what I hear. I was on an Irish wage when I was there. The cost of living is buttons, a pack of smokes was 1.50 - 2 BG divide by 2 for € :eek: same price for a beer. Eating out same.

That said you have to remember that you would be working for BG wage! average for an I.T role was 700 - 1400 BG per month.

There are a lot of pro's to the place but also some very big con's not least of which is the language. If you are with locals you'll be fine or in a large urban center. If you lived there and had to go to a corner shop or window or kiosk in the suburbs then the trouble beings.

here i could type for an hour , pm me if you have questions I'd be happy to answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

I was living in Burgas/Sunny Beach during the summer with my GF whos from Bulgaria and I absolutely loved it!

Bulgaria is an amazing country.

Yes, there is a massive difference in poor and rich there as you see some people driving BMW's followed by seeing a family looking in the bins for food.

Prices are amazing, You can easily eat out in a nice restaurant for 4 euro each. I remember getting a large bowl of spaghetti, a large beer and a smilling waitress and pleasant waitress for 2.50euro. Cigs are around 2 euro depending on what ones your getting. Alcohol is really cheap. In a supermarket a litre of vodka could be under 5 euro.

MY GF told me how Burgas is the second most expensive place in Bulgaria after Sunny Beach. So in Sofia and other cities it coud be even cheaper.

However I cannot stress it enough to learn some basic Bulgarian! Even a simple, Zdrasti (hello) and a kak si (how are you) to a shopkeeper will draw a smile. They will actually love you if you make a dig at trying to speak some Bulgarian. However some take advantage of you not knowing Bulgarian and try to con you, so watch out.

Again PM me if you need your questions answered...... I'd be happy to help you.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 Eureka_Bg

I just came across this old thread.

Are there many people on here either from Bulgaria, or people who spend some of the year in Bulgaria?

Looking forward to some replies :)

Eureka_Bg wrote: »
    I just came across this old thread.

Are there many people on here either from Bulgaria, or people who spend some of the year in Bulgaria?

Looking forward to some replies :)

I go to BG at least twice a year during the summer and over Christmas. I have an apartment in Pazardjik where my wife is from. I love it over there and hope to move over whenever it's financially viable.

I wouldn't think there's too many Bulgarians using Boards.ie (apart from you maybe :) )

Hi Jak.

I'm not Bulgarian, but I too spend a lot of time there each year.
    I also love it there and can't wait to go back. We live near Varna on the North Eastern Black Sea Coast.

At the moment, I'm trying to learn Bulgarian (with great difficulty).

At the moment, I'm trying to learn Bulgarian (with great difficulty).

I feel your pain! I've got just about every BG/English language book that's out there.

I can get by when I'm over there with the few words I know, but as soon as I leave I forget everything! I can read, which is a help as you work out what signs are saying and read maps and stuff. I'm not really in a position to give tips, but learning the alphabet really helps.

I've only been to Varna once. Nice town. I'm heading over to BG again in June. We have to fly into Sofia, so no direct flights, and it ain't cheap either anymore.

Yes, it's essential to learn to read and write in the Cyrillic alphabet first.
    Like with any new language, you are constantly learning little bits and pieces each day through signs, menus etc., but it's that much more difficult in Bg because of the different alphabet. However, I have that part mastered. I took 2-3 weeks of intensive lessons over there 3 years ago. I wanted to first try to understand how the language worked rather that learn words and phrases by rote. So I have a basic understanding of the language now. Still can't speak or understand very well, but if I can find a tutor in the summer, I should make a little progress. It's quite a challenge, but I have to say I enjoy it.

You are right, I forget it so easily when I leave, but I also chat to a couple of Bulgarians online which helps a little. I don't chat as much as I should in Bulgarian though. I usually keep up with what is happening over there through English, much to my shame :o

Yeah, the flights are a bit of a nuisance now. Aer Lingus flies direct to Burgas from Dublin, but it's not so near to Varna. So we usually have to find indirect flights. I found one or two unconventional routes which are not as expensive.

Where we are near Varna is still quite cheap to live as we are not on the main tourist route.

• Advertisement

By the way, if there is anyone here from Bulgaria, it would be great to hear from you :).

Or anyone who can speak Bulgarian?

Поздрави. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

I have been learning the language for a while on and off now.

A very good way in which I have been learning is by simply going on Facebook and basically going to a Bulgarian page and trying to pronounce as many names as possible on the page.

Learn how each letter is pronounced first anyhow. Then try online to get some podcasts.

But by far the easiest way is to actually listen to conversations in Bulgarian. You can pick up words pretty easy this way, as you hear them and how they are pronounced. Having a Bulgarian GF helps me too ;) .

An extremely difficult language to learn but it is doable. I really ought to knuckle down further and learn more!

Anyone else got any tips to learn?

Blagodarq (Thanks)

double GG wrote: »
    I have been learning the language for a while on and off now.

A very good way in which I have been learning is by simply going on Facebook and basically going to a Bulgarian page and trying to pronounce as many names as possible on the page.

Learn how each letter is pronounced first anyhow. Then try online to get some podcasts.

But by far the easiest way is to actually listen to conversations in Bulgarian. You can pick up words pretty easy this way, as you hear them and how they are pronounced. Having a Bulgarian GF helps me too ;) .

An extremely difficult language to learn but it is doable. I really ought to knuckle down further and learn more!

Anyone else got any tips to learn?

Blagodarq (Thanks)

Thanks for those tips Double GG.

I haven't tried Facebook. I tried to find a Bulgarian chat site where they chat in English and Bulgarian, but without success.

I have no problem with how the letters are pronounced, and I'm comfortable reading and writing in Bulgarian Cyrillic. Reading also gives me a little time to remember words and understand a little better.

I have tried to listen to Bulgarian, like the TV news etc., but I find it almost impossible to understand.

When someone is speaking to me in Bulgarian, I'm often still working out the first three words while they are on 8th., 9th. and 10th. words, and can panic a little :o. I find it gets easier with practice and I now try to listen to the entire sentence before I work it out in my mind :confused:.

Anyway, it would be great to hear from anyone with more tips or helpful advice.

It would also be great to hear from others who are learning, or can speak the language. Indeed, it's great to see anyone on here with an interest in anything Bulgarian.

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Break all ties

I am an Irish person who has recently defected to Bulgaria. I got fed up of all the bolloxing around in ireland and decided to leave for good.

I am currently learning Bulgarian but as you know it is incredibly difficult to learn and I am just at the stage of trying to read the letters and the sounds they make. I am sure with some effort I will get there eventually. :)

I am an Irish person who has recently defected to Bulgaria. I got fed up of all the bolloxing around in ireland and decided to leave for good.

I am currently learning Bulgarian but as you know it is incredibly difficult to learn and I am just at the stage of trying to read the letters and the sounds they make. I am sure with some effort I will get there eventually. :)

Living my dream that is. How's it working out for you? Where are you living? I reckon the only way to learn the language is to live over there.

Bulgarians are few and far between here Eureka and my mrs generally avoids them too so I seldom meet any in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Break all ties

Tis working out great. I am in the Stara Zagora area. I went down to the KAT the other day to have my car registered, so no more money for the greedy Irish government. :D

I am happy I did it and do not regret anything.

Tis working out great. I am in the Stara Zagora area. I went down to the KAT the other day to have my car registered, so no more money for the greedy Irish government. :D

I am happy I did it and do not regret anything.

Good to hear. I was hoping to move over next year, but these mortgage interest rate increases are putting a huge spoke in my plans.

Hi there!

How long have you been living there in Bg? Are you in the city area, or in the countryside?

Learning the alphabet and understanding the sounds of the letters seems to be incredibly difficult at the start, but believe me, it will become much easier in no time at all. I'm struggling with the language itelf in a big way, but every now and then the penny drops and I go, Ah, I see now! And as Jak said, practicing on a daily basis with the locals is invaluable.

I'm really looking forward to going over again, hopefully in May, and finding a tutor.

I hope your experience in KAT was good. I've found them to be great (in their Bulagrian way) in our area, but as with a lot of things there, it differs greatly from area to area. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭teddy_irish

By the way, if there is anyone here from Bulgaria, it would be great to hear from you :).

Or anyone who can speak Bulgarian?

Поздрави. :cool:

Поздрави и на вас! :) Greetings to you too! It looks that maybe I am the only bulgarian here. But is sweet to see the irish people making efforts to manage with my language :) I'm flattered. If I can help with something just ask.

Cheers

Поздрави и на вас! :) Greetings to you too! It looks that maybe I am the only bulgarian here. But is sweet to see the irish people making efforts to manage with my language :) I'm flattered. If I can help with something just ask.

Cheers

Здравейте Теди :) Hello Teddy.

Where in Bulgaria are you from? Do you live in Ireland full-time?

• Advertisement
Advertisement