Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Req: Spray or drops to help calm very anxious kitten (6 months)

Options
  • 07-09-2010 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    one of our new additions Maisie is now 6 months old and is still a very very anxious kitten around strangers, noises etc.

When she arrived 4 months ago it took a lot of handling, reassurance and gentle care for her to even be petted and stroked. She has come on enormously since she was a new kitten but still gets extremely worried and anxious whenever there is a noise or strangers in the house.

Last week friends called over for a coffee and after they left we finally found her hiding underneath the boiler in the utility room and had to get a screwdriver to release boards to get her out!

We got her and another kitten from the same family at the same time so she isn't on her own ever. The other kitten takes absolutely no notice of anything!

Can anyone recommend a spray / drops that may be of help to her. We don't mind her being a timid cat at all but she constantly looks worried and on edge - darting looks and sudden runs to hide for no apparent reason.

It hasnt anything to do with coming into heat - she hasnt yet but is booked for her surgery next Tuesday (13th). We would love to be able to do something to help her relax!

All advice appreciated thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

You can get a product called Feliway which mimics the facial pheromones, used by cats to mark their territory as safe and secure. It's great for stressful situations (we use it when we introduce a foster cat etc) and generally works well with anxious cats. It comes in a spray and a plug in & you can get it online and from your vets.

You could also try a product called Zylkene (Kalm Aid, sold by most vets, has similar ingredients) which is a food supplement that I've had great results with for my oh-noes-a-strange-thing-I'd-better-piddle-on-this-wall cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Plek Trum

Many MANY thanks Hodock, appreciate it a lot.
    You don't happen to know any Irish online stores that stock and deliver both by any chance? Had a look but all the ones I find are UK based, would prefer to buy in Ireland if I could.

Vet and nearest petshop is 35 miles away, wont be there until the weekend (rural living!) Thanks a mill....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

PS: don't spray feliway directly on the cat.

See if you can find a valerian extract toy or product, that can help to calm cats too.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

Brendaspets sells the Feliway diffuser

I've only been able to get Zylkene online from the UK. Would you like me to dig out the details of the supplier I've used for them too?

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

If you can't get it online, might be worth a phone call to your vet first as not all vets have Feliway in stock all the time, so if you phoned today it might be in by this weekend.

• Advertisement
Advertisement