Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lightening Conductor for new build

Options
  • 07-09-2010 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Anyone any advice on how useful this is? I'm looking at quotes from electrical contractor and this came up as an optional extra. Is it really effective? Would I also need Surge Protection Devices anyway to protect any in home devices e.g. computers, modems etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

it really depends on the building, surveys need to be carried out now, that survey report on the protection requirements. Is your house a standalone building on top of a hill in an area known for lightning strikes?

If you are in a risky area than surge protection built into the consumer unit is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭igilvarry

I don't think it's in a particularly risky area and the house is not on top of a hill. If I don't go for this upfront in the build, how difficult would it be to install one afterwards? Does it involve chasing walls, or can the conductor be routed down the exterior of the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

igilvarry wrote: »
    can the conductor be routed down the exterior of the house?

yes, the earth inspection box and rod would be opart of the civil works though

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭igilvarry

any ideas roughly what that should cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

igilvarry wrote: »
    I don't think it's in a particularly risky area and the house is not on top of a hill. If I don't go for this upfront in the build, how difficult would it be to install one afterwards? Does it involve chasing walls, or can the conductor be routed down the exterior of the house?

Top of a hill is not needed, you can be at the bottom of a hill and at the same risk of lighting.

Its run along the outside face, be it brick or whatever and then down into the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭LeBash

If your looking for surge and or lightning protection, these guys are head and shoulders above anyone.

Thier surge protectors are going to be nearly twice the price, but they will take more than one hit unlike the cheap units that are out there.

You can use the site to figure out what you need, or call them and they will give you the part number you require and tell you where to buy it.

http://www2.phoenixcontact.com/online/portal/ie

Trabtech is the name of the surge and/or lightning protection

Advertisement