Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

9 Speed Sora shifters question

• 07-09-2010 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hi,

Maybe what i'm doing is completely daft but here it goes :D

I want change my handle bars on my TT bike and replace them with ordinary racer handle bars for the winter. I will be moving abroad and its not possible for me to bring my 2 bikes with me.

These handle bars have come from my training bike and have Shimano Sora 9 speed shifters, however my TT bike casette is 10 speed with SRAM Rival deraileurs.
    My plan is to set the H limit (dont think thats the correct term) so it can only reach the 9th gear. Then each shift should correspond to a gear change on the casette?

In theory should this work or am I just asking for trouble. Is there any difference between 9 and 10 speed casettes regarding space between rings.

Im sure there is other problems that I am not aware of so if there is id be greatful for any advice?

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I don't think it would work. Your shifters would have a different amount of cable pull than your rear mech is designed for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Nope won't work. A 10 speed chain is narrower than a 9 speed, hence the shift "gap" on a 9 speed is not compatible with a 10 speed.

in other words..a 10 speed cassette needs a 10 speed chain and shifter. same goes for 9 speed.

What you are proposing to do would work if you wanted to mix a 9 speed shifter and an 8 speed cassette, as the chain is the same for both.

Am i explaining myself clearly? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

I can see your plan alright but as tonto says the shifter is designed to move the deraileur a certain distance with each pull. Even by limiting the movement of the deraileur the distance between each ring on your 9 and 10 set cassette could be different and so cause problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭wellboss

Yeah i think I may have to go down the route of a new 9 speed casette and chain, That would work wouldnt it? As then i have 9 speed shifters, casette and chain

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I think you'd need a new RD as well. Best bet might be to just swap the groupset wholesale from one bike to the other. Or save yourself the trouble and just bring your training bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

el tonto wrote: »
    I think you'd need a new RD as well.
    Not sure about that.

According to Sheldown brown
    Derailers -Rear

Within a given brand/style of rear derailer, all "speed numbers" are generally interchangeable. This applies to all indexable models, basically everything manufactured since the late 1980s. There are a few exceptions:
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/speeds.html

That would explain how this 105 derailleur can be 9 and 10 speed compatible.

They only advertise the Tiagra Derailleur as 9 speed compatible but it seems it would work with 10 speed shifters.

I may be wrong though and would like clarification....I demand clarification.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭estariol

Well can only comment on my set up, (bear in mind this is on my turbo) rrunning a sora triple 9 speed group set with a 105 10 speed cassette 23-11 with the limit screws adjusted. I don't much on the rear casette as its on the turbo so v little hill work.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭wellboss

Thanks guys,

I have put my 9 speed chain and casette on it for the moment but I have not got round to fine tuning the gears just yet. Hopefully it'l work with the SRAM deraileur as my sora one is in pretty bad shape so I may need to invest :).

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

They only advertise the Tiagra Derailleur as 9 speed compatible but it seems it would work with 10 speed shifters.

Tiagra derailleur is a 10 speed d but can be adjusted for a 9 cassette however a 9 speed shifter is required.

Advertisement