Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transporting a Car from Dublin to Cork

• 07-09-2010 3:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Hi All,

Anyone that may have seen my lasts threads may think im attempting a hoax but unfortuneately im not.

Long story short, bought an A3 privately recently and it has tried to break me ever since.
    Started making a strange scraping noise and was difficult to get it into gear after a motorway stint. Got my local audi dealer to do a diognostics on this and they said the flywheel had to be replaced and the turbo was going so i let them replace these at a cost of over 2K

A month later my clutch has given up, garage say at the time of the flywheel work the clutch was fine, this obviously cant be the case but they said they'll change the clutch and wont charge me for the labour so will be approx €300 incl VAT.
    Only problem is the car is in Dromcondra in Dublin. So if anyone knows of a cheap transport service that will bring it to the main dealer in Cork or else a garage in Dublin who'll do the work for a reasonalbe price.
    The recovery truck who picked it up said the pressure plate will need repalcing aswell.
    The garage its at now will do the work for around €800 which i think is a bit steep.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Will the car drive itself at all?

If it will then one of the nationwide transport companies should do it for you, if you can get it somewhere they can pick up from.

If it won't move under it's own steam, then its a breakdown trcuk job and you are looking circa €400 to get it from Dublin to Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Love the Smurf

No, it definetly will not run itself. I'm thinking of getting it towed to port laoise and then towing it myself to Cork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Sh!t man your havin no luck with that motor:mad:

its no joke at this stage, I cant understand how a main dealer wouldnt notice a declining clutch while their changing the flywheel, I took it to a dealer to get the best job done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

You could try Crosbie Transcar http://crosbietranscar.com/
    They have a base in Dublin (Clondalkin) and one in Cork if the car can get onto a transporter under it's own steam.

• Advertisement

Lad to be honest id be tellin that garage to come collect my car and replace the clutch like they should have done while doing the flywheel, we've never replaced just a flywheel in here, we always do the clutch too whats the point in not like????. Just asked the parts manager about the price of the parts and he said he always gets a clutch and flywheel kit for them audis and it costs only a little extra on top of the flywheel if you buy the kit. I wouldnt be happy about it and i wouldnt let them fob me off ether

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭ronaneire

Lad to be honest id be tellin that garage to come collect my car and replace the clutch like they should have done while doing the flywheel, we've never replaced just a flywheel in here, we always do the clutch too whats the point in not like????. Just asked the parts manager about the price of the parts and he said he always gets a clutch and flywheel kit for them audis and it costs only a little extra on top of the flywheel if you buy the kit. I wouldnt be happy about it and i wouldnt let them fob me off ether

Yeah they should have replaced the clutch while doing the flywheel, but was the OP looking at handing out more money at the time when he was already having to spend 2k on the turbo & flywheel.
    OP I hope you can get your car back to Cork, quick and not at an expense.
    I'd recommend changing garage once you get sorted.

at the time I was trying to haggle with them but they never once mentioned doing the clutch but what leg do i have to stand on if they say the clutch was fine when they changed out the flywheel which I know cant be true but I dont really have anyway of forcing them to do it.

at the time I was trying to haggle with them but they never once mentioned doing the clutch but what leg do i have to stand on if they say the clutch was fine when they changed out the flywheel which I know cant be true but I dont really have anyway of forcing them to do it.

You don't have anyway of forcing them. But any competent mechanic or garage in the first place should have replaced the clutch or should have given you the option to have one fitted.
    Don't let them away with anything, ask them why it wasn't changed at the time? I would also ask them for the old clutch when they do replace it.
    What sort of miles are on the car?

80,000 On the clock which isnt much for all these issues to be arising, in my opinion anyway.

• Advertisement

80,000 On the clock which isnt much for all these issues to be arising, in my opinion anyway.

Miles rather then KM? Still it is not a lot really. Hopefully you can get it to Cork and there is no way it will drive down?

Ya thats miles sorry.
    It definetly will not drive, if I try and take off it shudders badly and then ive to physically force it back into neutral.
    Theres a scraping noise if i press the clutch in and out

80-100k is when they start giving trouble im afraid, any garage doin a flywheel at 80k and not offering a clutch also needs a new service manager IMO

The girl i dealt with is saying she was trying to keep the cost down for me and that they saw no issues with the clutch.
    I suppose their now offering to do it for 300 without charging for labour so their conceding some responsibility

Sounds like the pressure plate.
    Best of luck with it.

80-100k is when they start giving trouble im afraid, any garage doin a flywheel at 80k and not offering a clutch also needs a new service manager IMO

We're all entitled to our opinion. 80 - 100k is nothing. I have a 03 BMW with 170k on it and its fine.

they are conceding because they know they should have done it to begin with! the little bit extra for the kit with the clutch(and not 300 quid extra) and no extra work as they would have taken the old clutch out doing the flywheel!!!!

ronaneire wrote: »
    We're all entitled to our opinion. 80 - 100k is nothing. I have a 03 BMW with 170k on it and its fine.
    sorry thats not an opinion thats fact. its a common problem with this model, and a few more for that matter and it tends to happen around said mileage

sorry thats not an opinion thats fact. its a common problem with this model, and a few more for that matter and it tends to happen around said mileage

If it is a fact where the proof? Then I would imagine all similar VW's, Skoda's and the likes would be the same if they happen to have said mileage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

If it is a fact where the proof? Then I would imagine all similar VW's, Skoda's and the likes would be the same if they happen to have said mileage?

I would have said they fail earlier than 80,000 - 100,000miles if anything. Quite often around 120,000km's.

• Advertisement

you have answered your own question, same problem with them all;)

you have answered your own question, same problem with them all;)

Maybe it just the ones you have seen ;)
    I have yet to come across them.
    Anyways back to the OP and getting his car to Cork.

Maybe it just the ones you have seen ;)QUOTE]
    Are you for real????

R.O.R wrote: »
    I would have said they fail earlier than 80,000 - 100,000miles if anything. Quite often around 120,000km's.
    we did 2 golfs,06 and 07 with 119km and 122km, both sales cars:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Maybe it just the ones you have seen ;)
    I have yet to come across them.
    Anyways back to the OP and getting his car to Cork.

If you have yet to come across a failing VAG diesel fly wheel at somewhere between 60 & 80k miles, I would sggest you have zero dealing with cars. They are ALL going. Every car I know with that mileage has either had a flywheel or 2 fitted or is knocking and in need of replacement.

mickdw wrote: »
    If you have yet to come across a failing VAG diesel fly wheel at somewhere between 60 & 80k miles, I would suggest you have zero dealing with cars. They are ALL going. Every car I know with that mileage has either had a flywheel or 2 fitted or is knocking and in need of replacement.

Thanks for your opinion though, I may not take it into consideration.

But that's amazing now, I sold one recently with 154k on the clock...
    The women that I bought it from (she had it from new) and she too didn't have it replaced.

Advertisement