Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HANOVER PARK OVERGROWN

Options
  • 07-09-2010 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

walking past hanover park ( BEHIND PENNEYS ) this morning 9.30. and two men in their 30s one drinking a can, hanging around in there.. it is completely overgrown unsafe and run down and a hang out area for undesirables because they have so much cover.... how come the council dont cut everything down and just have a green area where you could see who is around before walking through. gonna ring a few councillors and see what they can do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭royston_vasey

Can you pm me regarding this, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

I could be wrong here but isn't the penny's revamp incorporating Hanover Park?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

they had a hedge cutter in there about a month ago cutting down everything and the grass at the same time. maybe another one is scheduled soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 pholland

it would be great if this is included in the penneys revamp as a piece of green area........ that is maintained of course

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭carlaboi

Its included in the the penneys revamp if and when that happens.

• Advertisement

carlaboi wrote: »
    Its included in the the penneys revamp if and when that happens.

Do you know if they will revamp the park or turn the park into a carpark?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭carlaboi

ShayK1 wrote: »
    Do you know if they will revamp the park or turn the park into a carpark?

I believe half of the park has been sold to the developer and the rest is to be revamped.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

It is quite the eyesore. See attached.

Such a great location for something really special in the town but instead we are left we possibly the worst driving surface on the planet and potentially a new generic, characterless shopping centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

I think if you were to bank up the surrounds and spruce up the bridge crossing into penneys to be really fancy you could have a massive fancy shopping complex there that you would feel privileged to be driving into. The whole process could include a green area beside the complex, half the size of the current hanover park and in the process of building such a complex you would see urban rejuvenation in such areas as the park, the river which runs by the adjoining street to penneys where the old credit union was. Light the whole place properly and you could see a rejuvenated carlow. But sadly and alas in the times at present this will not happen because developers wouldnt take on a job like this now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

what is happening is that the minute the bord pleannala desicion is made (expected to be positive), Penneys will start working on the site. It includes a town park and plenty of landscaping.

The post office will also be moving into the new centre as possibly will be M&S.

The old postoffice & sorting office will be demolished and a new building built in its place.

Rumor has it, pennys will move into the old Byrnes toy shop in hanover while the work is going on, though Perrys are doing their utmost to get them to move into their old cash & carry.

Assuming positive bord pleanala decision, (before 10th oct) work will commence before end of Oct.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

91011 wrote: »
    what is happening is that the minute the bord pleannala desicion is made (expected to be positive), Penneys will start working on the site. It includes a town park and plenty of landscaping.

The post office will also be moving into the new centre as possibly will be M&S.

The old postoffice & sorting office will be demolished and a new building built in its place.

Rumor has it, pennys will move into the old Byrnes toy shop in hanover while the work is going on, though Perrys are doing their utmost to get them to move into their old cash & carry.

Assuming positive bord pleanala decision, (before 10th oct) work will commence before end of Oct.

That's very interesting.
    Thanks for the info!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

so what are they doing at the moment on barrack street? looks like they are making a full entrance for fairgreen as well as making the road narrower by removing one lane, it will be like years ago when the bus stops and the market used to be there.

i suppose fairgreen owners and tesco can do whatever they like with the town now under threat of job losses?

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭foundry

As far as I know a new shop for Carlow called "Homestore and More" is going into the old Byrne's in Hanover Retail Park.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    so what are they doing at the moment on barrack street? looks like they are making a full entrance for fairgreen as well as making the road narrower by removing one lane, it will be like years ago when the bus stops and the market used to be there.

i suppose fairgreen owners and tesco can do whatever they like with the town now under threat of job losses?

All the plans were on the Nationalist last week.
    They're putting a roundabout on barracks st and opening that entrance to fairgreen in an effort to aid traffic flow in and out of the center.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

foundry wrote: »
    As far as I know a new shop for Carlow called "Homestore and More" is going into the old Byrne's in Hanover Retail Park.

I would think they'd go into 4 lakes beside Homebase as Homebase have a shareholding in them. Also, I'd guess Harry Corry & Woodies would have an issue with home store beside them as much of the product is similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

And scupper any chance of driving along barrack st in less than 30minutes? Sheer madness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

foggy_lad wrote: »
    And scupper any chance of driving along barrack st in less than 30minutes? Sheer madness!

Less than 30minutes?
    lmao, what Carlow are you living in, Times Square version is it?

Advertisement