Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brake Piston Wind-Back Tool

• 07-09-2010 3:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

As per the title, anyone know where you can buy this tool?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

You can use a large G-clamp, placing the clamp against the old pad, not the piston itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

As above this is just as easy, and you can use it for other work also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Thanks for taht but I've done that before. I want the proper tool for the job ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

any good motor factors or halfords, if not a kit make sure you get both sides as they are differant

any good motor factors or halfords, if not a kit make sure you get both sides as they are differant

You mean front and back?

• Advertisement

You mean front and back?
    na left and right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭BrianD3

What car is it. Some cars require an anticlockwise rewinder for one side and a clockwise one for the other. You'll also need the right adaptor for the piston face on your car. The rewinders costing around 25-30 euro (available in halfords) have 1 or 2 adaptors included while the kits costing 60-150 quid can have 20 or more adaptors.

Depending on your car right might do, some cars have oppisate threads in piston. good to have both tho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭jame5_b

• Advertisement

It's a Mazda RX8 and the pistons have "V"s cut out of them so I'm thinking that the tool fits into these cut outs.

These could also be for something to do with alignment and a metal part that comes off the rear pads for the handbrake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

You can use a large G-clamp, placing the clamp against the old pad, not the piston itself.
    If its ABS, does it have to be wounds back - no?

I don't often do many brakes nowadays, but I had cause to swap out a caliper on an ABS-braked Mitsubishi a while back. The piston was locked solid in the extended position and wouldn't compress back into the caliper body with a G clamp or a plumbers wrench. I had to borrow a wind-back tool something like this. The two "nipples" on the face of the tool lined up with two dimples in the face of the piston, and back she went when I started winding!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭BrianD3

It's a Mazda RX8 and the pistons have "V"s cut out of them so I'm thinking that the tool fits into these cut outs.
    Yes, it sounds like the rewinder adaptor fits into those cut outs. I would say it's unlikely that the "standard" adaptors will fit a RX8. You will probably have to buy a separate one or a kit that includes the right one. But if you buy a kit without knowing exactly what's in it, there's no guarantee that you'll get the right one in it. :mad:

This question would probably be better suited to a forum specifically for RX8s.

Thank you all for your replies.

I asked in our local Air Impact and they have several different sets for sale.

I'm not going to invest in anything just yet until I can find someone whom has bought one of these sets and ask if I can try it out.

Thanks again,

Dave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

Presuming that the G clamp way doesn't do any damage or raise the risk of damage why is this tool needed if you could do it using the G Clamp and the old pad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If this car requires the piston being wound back in, dont under any circumstances use a g clamp to force straight back in.

mickdw wrote: »
    If this car requires the piston being wound back in, dont under any circumstances use a g clamp to force straight back in.

Good point! You'll only damage the whole thing. I've also learned that you can use a needlenose pliers to do the job :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Good point! You'll only damage the whole thing. I've also learned that you can use a needlenose pliers to do the job :D

Ive use a pliers too to twist them back. Ive seen some cars too that need twisting with alittle inward pressure applied too. These are a nightmare without proper tools

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I did my 8 recently and *cough*used the tyre iron*cough*, with the cap off the brake fluid reservoir it took very little force, I'm pretty sure though my pistons didn't have the V groove. I think yours is JDM though right, so that could be the difference.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

mickdw wrote: »
    Ive use a pliers too to twist them back. Ive seen some cars too that need twisting with alittle inward pressure applied too. These are a nightmare without proper tools

On the MX5 the rear brake pistons have to be pushed and turned at the same time and the piston doesn't have a groove, aaargh!
    The last time I applied pressure with a clamp while my mate turned the piston with a wrench, it's a 2 man job and at that it's difficult.
    Dreading next time already.

• Advertisement
Advertisement