Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If you were heading to USA/canada where would you train?

• 07-09-2010 3:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

I will have at least 12 months abroad to study, I can pretty much pick my uni/college anywhere in the world. So where would you go? any tips?

Any help would be appreciated! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Pontificatus

Ryan Roddy wrote: »

I will have at least 12 months abroad to study, I can pretty much pick my uni/college anywhere in the world. So where would you go? any tips?

Any help would be appreciated! :)

You're a lucky bastard. I would go to San Diego (it mean a whales vagina you know). They have some of the best BJJ instructors on the planet there, awesome weather, beaches etc

Bastard :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

I'd love to train with Erik Paulson

I suppose jackson's would be another good spot to hit. Be interesting to see what they are doing there thats making them so successful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

I'd love to train with Erik Paulson

oddly enough it showed alex reid training at Paulson's last night. Was a great setup. The thing I like about Paulson is he pulls his techniques from many different styles.

He's not in the camp that BJJ is king or Catch is King or Thai is King or Boxing etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

for me Ricardo Pires in Las Vegas because, well it's Las Vegas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭NG-DOC

It depends on what you are looking to train?

For BJJ San Diego is easily the best place in terms of choice. University of Jiu Jitsu, BJJ Revolution, Royler Gracie Competition Team, Baret Yoshida and now Atos, are all within a stones throw of each other. Specifically i would recommend the University of Jiu Jitsu.

West coast either Alliance in Atlanta, or Marcelo Garcia in NY.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 gatecrasher69er

im going to america also in the next month..would like somewere thats not 2 pricey and somwere to stay...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭NG-DOC

im going to america also in the next month..would like somewere thats not 2 pricey and somwere to stay...

anywhere that's good for training in the states will be pricey to live. San Diego and New York are arguably the two best places for training and both are expensive cities. That's why Brazilians go there, because people have money.

Training at the good quality gyms will cost you anywhere from 100 to 200 dollars a month, you can also expect a sign on fee in some places.

Rent in San Diego speaking from personal experience can also cost you anywhere from 100 to 200 a week. Especially if you want somewhere with a kitchen to cook food and save money on expenses.

Craiglist is good for finding accommodation. If you find somewhere you like, email them and explain your situation. Don't however send any money to anyone before you go. Say you will go to view and decide them. There is a lot of people scamming so be careful.

It won't be cheap, but it also won't be amazingly expensive, it is however well worth the money because America is at least 10 years ahead of Ireland in terms of training.

Advertisement