Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green moss growing on strawberry bad

Options
  • 07-09-2010 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

Hi all,

A green moss is growing on the compost of my strawberries. They were growing in the ground in our new garden which is rather wild and We are trying to lift anything salvagable before we fix it up. Since I have potted them they are really coming on and the new shoots are looking very healthy but I'm just worried about this mossy substance- I'm worried it will taint the strawberries next year.

Any help?

New to the garden

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

LauraLoo wrote: »
    Hi all,

A green moss is growing on the compost of my strawberries. They were growing in the ground in our new garden which is rather wild and We are trying to lift anything salvagable before we fix it up. Since I have potted them they are really coming on and the new shoots are looking very healthy but I'm just worried about this mossy substance- I'm worried it will taint the strawberries next year.

Any help?

New to the garden

Have you potted these Plants in "Moss Peat" by chance? Where did you source it? Bagged and from your Local garden centre/Shop? Do the plants have good Drainage? Have you over feed them?

Are you sure it's Moss and no some form of algae?

When you lifted them you may have picked up Moss on the soil too after repotting them

Moss won't "taint" the fruit however it might suggest poor drainage (Most plants don't like "Wet feet" (Roots over watered) over feeding of Nitrates can cause some algaes

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭LauraLoo

Have you potted these Plants in "Moss Peat" by chance?
    I used an organic compost- it wasn't moss peat. I think it was peat free. I haven't got the bag anymore. I've used the same compost on other things and haven't had the same problem.

Where did you source it? Bagged and from your Local garden centre/Shop?
    I bought it in B&Q

Do the plants have good Drainage? Have you over feed them?
    I just checked and the do look overly moist at the bottom. I'll pierce a few more holes at the end of the pots. Would it be better if I brought them into the green house and watered manually? It's very wet and rainy where I am.

Are you sure it's Moss and no some form of algae? I am really not sure- I will try upload photo

When you lifted them you may have picked up Moss on the soil too after repotting them
    I thought of that. If so, is there any way I can repot them again while removing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

LauraLoo wrote: »
    Have you potted these Plants in "Moss Peat" by chance?
    I used an organic compost- it wasn't moss peat. I think it was peat free. I haven't got the bag anymore. I've used the same compost on other things and haven't had the same problem.

Where did you source it? Bagged and from your Local garden centre/Shop?
    I bought it in B&Q

Do the plants have good Drainage? Have you over feed them?
    I just checked and the do look overly moist at the bottom. I'll pierce a few more holes at the end of the pots. Would it be better if I brought them into the green house and watered manually? It's very wet and rainy where I am.

Are you sure it's Moss and no some form of algae? I am really not sure- I will try upload photo

I thought of that. If so, is there any way I can repot them again while removing it?

From my own personal Experience I Don't rate B&Q composts very highly any more...I believe most (Peat Free) are sourced from Council/Commercial "Green" waste materials composted in a centre in Lucan ...Esker lane??
    After finding several Bedding plants/Crops "failing" 2 years ago all they had in common was the Compost... But I am Human and may have missed something else

I wouldn't be too worried if it's Just Moss .. if it has a problem with drainage you will sort out this Problem by adding more drainage holes and put crocks in the bottom of pots and place them on feet to aid drainage

As you say you have no other issues with this Compost with other plants so maybe you picked up this moss from your own garden ...

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭LauraLoo

thanks for that- i have to say i was disappointed with the peat free compost- my mother in law uses moss peat and her pots flourish. is there a particular brand that you would recommend?

Advertisement