Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cisco EPC2425 via UPC - Bridging with latest firmware

• 07-09-2010 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Just got UPC broadband installed today, and got the Cisco EPC2425 modem/router.

However, I want to switch it over to bridge mode, and use my existing router (which is currently bridged into a smart telecom ADSL modem).

But I cannot find the bridging options mentioned in older thread, and I also cannot find the "Access level" settings from the Advanced setup on the cisco modem.

It's running the following firmware: epc2425-E10-5-v202r12812-100519cs_upc.bin
    Has the bridging option been removed from newer firmware? Previous posts indicated that is was present from firmware in March or so.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

UPC Cisco modem password
    Default Settings

Login URL: http://192.168.1.1
    Username: <blank>
    Password: <blank>

There is an “Advanced” tab which will ask for another Username & Password:
    Username: admin
    Password: W2402

Then look for Gateway - bridging option or something like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 drophar

Yep. That's what I have been doing... but it's gone.

Found this other thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055949127

They've gone and hidden it, as the phone does not work if you've set the router to bridged mode. You can still get to the bridged/gateway option, but I have the phone also, so I can't turn it on.

Need to figure out another way to use my existing router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭KennyLegend

drophar wrote: »
    Yep. That's what I have been doing... but it's gone.

Found this other thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055949127

They've gone and hidden it, as the phone does not work if you've set the router to bridged mode. You can still get to the bridged/gateway option, but I have the phone also, so I can't turn it on.

Need to figure out another way to use my existing router.

Theres another post somewhere in here about that....ill see if i can find it.

HERES THE BIT I WAS LOOKING FOR:
    its a post by watty on another thread here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055949127&page=2

He says:

"If you can't bridge, then set your separate router to a different subnet, i.e. 192.168.3.xxx for everything on LAN.

Then give your router WAN port a static IP in the LAN range of the Cisco Router/Cable Modem and only plug the WAN port into Cisco.
    Disable WiFi on the Cisco
    Then on the Cisco make the IP of your standalone WiFi/Router a DMZ. Then all ports are forwarded both ways, it's almost like Bridge Mode. To the 3rd party standalone WiFi/Router it will look like the Cisco is in Bridge mode but as if your public IP is the LAN IP on the Cisco set up for DMZ.

The actual Public IP is of course whatever it is. "

• Registered Users Posts: 4 drophar

KennyLegend... you are a legend.

Working nicely now.

Only problem is DNS settings... I could just copy the ones from cisco modem and set them statically in my wireless router.... but for now, I've just stuck in the Google DNS.

drophar wrote: »
    KennyLegend... you are a legend.

Working nicely now.

Only problem is DNS settings... I could just copy the ones from cisco modem and set them statically in my wireless router.... but for now, I've just stuck in the Google DNS.

Cool,..all credit has to go to warty for this one!

• Advertisement

Cool,..all credit has to go to warty for this one!

Oops..meant Watty..apologies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Champ

Does anyone know if the older EPC2203 has the same issue?

i.e. if you flip it into bridge modem do you loose the phone service?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Champ wrote: »

Is this the non wireless cisco router that they giving?
    I'm getting it for the fathers house next week & requested the non wireless one hoping that it won't have the problem of the phone line cutting out.
    can anyone confirm that it doens't have this problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Champ wrote: »

no, there's no bridge mode on the 2203 (or any other settings you can change) its just a basic modem that will pass all the traffic directly to your router.

all you do is plug in your router to the single ethernet port on the 2203 and it gives your router's WAN port your public IP address and passes everything through, nothing else, unless you use the phone port(s), but there's nothing for you to change here either, you just plug your phone in and you're done (assuming you have a phone service with them).
    Lenny wrote: »
    Is this the non wireless cisco router that they giving?
    I'm getting it for the fathers house next week & requested the non wireless one hoping that it won't have the problem of the phone line cutting out.
    can anyone confirm that it doens't have this problem?

i have the 2203 and i did have a problem with the phone cutting out occasionally a few months ago, but i contacted UPC and they sorted it at their end, it wasn't an issue with the modem at all.

something you will want to do though is get your own router, because the 2203 literally passes everything through the ethernet to whatever you plug into it, so if you plug your PC in, it's basically sitting there directly connected to the net with no hardware firewall or NAT or anything like that which makes it a much much easier target for hackers, even with a software firewall installed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 TomS_

Hi,

Are UPC currently supplying the DPC/EPC2203 for new cable broadband connections, or can you request it in place of a wireless router thst they quote on their site?

I have just moved to Dublin from Australia and looking at getting a UPC bundle for phone/tv/broadband, but would like to use my existing Cisco router (2811) as my gateway (being the techie person I am) so that I can establish a GRE tunnel to a friend in the UK (need to have a public IP on the 2811), along with various other features that it offers.

Cheers,
    Tom

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Don't drag up old topics to post post unrelated questions, especially when there is a dedicated sticky thread for this. You cannot supply your own cable modem for UPC.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement