Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Animal Emergency Clinic at UCD

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

mosi wrote: »
    You have obviously not read the posts that I have made throughout this thread.

I know only too well how expensive veterinary bills are, having shed out €700 on my own dog for treatment recently. Although I am not well off, I, like the owner of the dog in question here and many pet owners, care very much about my dog and will pull money together if required.

Many people do not have access to large amounts of cash late on a Sunday night.

We did not arrive in there on Sunday night expecting charity. The dog's owner genuinely could not pay that night but would have been able to the next day. He paid us back the money we put up on the Monday! I'm sure that, as with any business, they could have a credit system in place.

Furthermore, they could have at least try to stabilise the dog with painkillers etc, instead of leaving her in agony for such a length of time. Such primary treatment is not so expensive. The primary purpose of the veterinary profession is to ensure the welfare of animals.

And as the profession's own code of conduct states, vets

"Must not unreasonably refuse to provide emergency first aid and pain
    relief to animals where no immediate payment is forthcoming."

I'm glad you know how expensive vet bills can be. The fact that you spent €700 on your animal is off topic btw. Looking at the situation from the point of the practice, owner turns up with animal and expects it to be treated before payment. Bearing in mind that the cost of treatment can easily rocket what protection do the practice have against the animal being abandoned and the bill left unpaid? Thats why its necessary and I'm sure they've gotten the sob story before and been worse off for it. Sure they could go to the courts to get the bill enforced, but this is time consuming, costly, and an unnecesary risk. No matter what day of the week or what time of day, it is always possible to get €200 if you have it. Has the owner in question never heard of an ATM? I believe they have them out in Belfield.

If you can't abide by the practice conditions for treatment, take your animals elsewhere.

Advertisement