Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What IT Cert route to take?

Options
  • 07-09-2010 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I’ve recently completed a Higher Diploma in Computing and have a business informatics degree but undecided whether to do a professional cert or wait and do a Masters next year. I am considering doing a professional cert to fill in the time in the hope of securing an IT job. I would like to go down the technical support or helpdesk route as I already have a bit of work experience in that area. Networking and security or web design/programming/content management are other areas I am interested in, not too keen on software programming in particular Java.

I am just wondering which is the best way to start off as a newly IT postgrad student by going the professional cert route, would it be worth while starting with an A+ cert or would something more advanced be a consideration? I would be interested in a Linux+ cert as well or do I need a certain level of qualifications and experience before completing a Linux cert? I wouldn’t mind going for a Java cert if it meant increasing my chances of getting job but then again would doing a MCSE be a better investment? I am also unsure where to go to either to Fás or go to a private training place like Pitman or is it worthwhile to do self-study and just pay for the exam(s)?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

2cents

What age are you? and what Masters were you looking at? (Part/Full time). Why not do an executive (part-time) MSc while you do your Tech exams
    technical support or helpdesk route as I already have a bit of work experience in that area. Networking and security or web design/programming/content management are other areas I am interested in, not too keen on software programming in particular Java.

Knowing Linux is a great skill to have, you should definetly learn it BUT I dont know how helpful it will be getting started. It depends on the company you join.

Cant see Java helping you at all.

The majority of company's use Windows, like it or not, so I would aim for Microsoft Certs to target them. Its easy enough to rattle a few easy ones off and get the qualifications. By the way the MCSE discontinued with Windows Server 2003, the new qualification is MCITP.

From Wikipedia
    Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician or M.C.D.S.T. (Simply put, do you know XP)
    The Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician (MCDST) certification program tries to demonstrate that a technician can competently support end users and troubleshoot desktop environments running Microsoft Windows XP operating systems. M.C.D.S.T. candidates are required to pass two examinations viz., Exam 70-271 ("Supporting Users and Troubleshooting a Windows XP Operating System") and Exam 70-272 ("Supporting Users and Troubleshooting Desktop Applications on a Windows XP Operating System").

Once complete look at the SA and EA roles, watch out for the courses you can overlap

Server Administrator
    MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Active Directory Configuration
    MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Network Infrastructure Configuration
    Exam 70-646 (PRO): Windows Server 2008, Server Administrator

Enterprise Administrator

MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure Configuration
    MCTS: Windows 7 Configuration OR MCTS Windows Vista Configuration, MCTS: Windows Vista and 2007 Microsoft Office System Desktops, Deploying and Maintaining
    Exam 70-647 (PRO): Windows Server 2008, Enterprise Administrator

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Do you want to be in a technical hands on role?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

2cents

What age are you? and what Masters were you looking at? (Part/Full time). Why not do an executive (part-time) MSc while you do your Tech exams

I'm 25 so really only starting from the bottom of the ladder really. I was looking at full time Masters (Interactive Multimedia in UCC, Security And Digital Forensics in LIT, Networking and Security CIT) There are a number of similar Taught Master courses around the country too. Would it not be easier to do one or the other one at a time rather than do both? Not planning to do a Masters for at least another year or two, would rather do the Tech exams before that, would that not be wiser? Might help in getting a job before doing a Masters.
    Knowing Linux is a great skill to have, you should definetly learn it BUT I dont know how helpful it will be getting started. It depends on the company you join.
    Would have touched on bit of Linux mainly Unix in my h dip course so quiet liked it and had a flare for it.
    Cant see Java helping you at all.

Really, you think Java wouldn't be of much help? Did a fair in my H dip, but not mad on the programming language, pefered PHP, HTML and CSS.
    The majority of company's use Windows, like it or not, so I would aim for Microsoft Certs to target them. Its easy enough to rattle a few easy ones off and get the qualifications. By the way the MCSE discontinued with Windows Server 2003, the new qualification is MCITP.

Ok thats grand, wasn't sure what the most up to date Windows qualifications were at the moment as companies tend to chop and change requirements for prospective employees.
    From Wikipedia
    Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician or M.C.D.S.T. (Simply put, do you know XP)
    The Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician (MCDST) certification program tries to demonstrate that a technician can competently support end users and troubleshoot desktop environments running Microsoft Windows XP operating systems. M.C.D.S.T. candidates are required to pass two examinations viz., Exam 70-271 ("Supporting Users and Troubleshooting a Windows XP Operating System") and Exam 70-272 ("Supporting Users and Troubleshooting Desktop Applications on a Windows XP Operating System").

Once complete look at the SA and EA roles, watch out for the courses you can overlap

Server Administrator
    Exam 70-646 (PRO): Windows Server 2008, Server Administrator

Enterprise Administrator

MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure Configuration
    MCTS: Windows 7 Configuration OR MCTS Windows Vista Configuration, MCTS: Windows Vista and 2007 Microsoft Office System Desktops, Deploying and Maintaining
    Exam 70-647 (PRO): Windows Server 2008, Enterprise Administrator

I'd be interested in the server admin ones.
    Thanks for all the info.
    iRock wrote: »
    Do you want to be in a technical hands on role?
    Yes, would like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

• Advertisement
Advertisement