Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VRT calcuation, Co2 Not Established!?!

• 07-09-2010 5:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 958 ✭✭✭

Thinking about importing an old car into Ireland from UK. Checked the VRT calculator and got:

CO2 EMISSIONS: Not established - highest VRT rate applied

The selection shows: 1796CC - 999 g/km

Leaving an import charge of €720 ? :confused: Car is only selling for £750..

Is this figure binding, or is it possible Revenue will rationalise this if I get properly serious about importing it ? Was expecting the usual €330 €720 is a bit steep ..

Cheers..

fbp.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Since the change from engine capacity to CO2 for road tax, the minimum OMSP of any car for VRT purposes is now €2000. VRT @ 36% (highest CO2 band applied if no CO2 figure available) = €720.

If you can prove manufacturer's official fuel consumption figure, then CO2 (and therefore tax band) can be extrapolated from that. Search www.revenue.ie for VRT CO2 and you should find the formulae.

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

1. the price you pay for the car has nothing to do with VRT
    2. you can thank John Gormless for the VRT increases

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

OMSP = Open Market Stupid Price? Who in their right mind would pay 2K for a 1986 1.8 in this country ? Even I wouldn't.... Even at 30% the €600 duty is ridiculous.

Thanks for the help anyway, may just let this one slip past.

fbp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

OSMP is the non objective price placed upon these cars by gov as dictated by simi, you'll never get a fair osmp as it's not in their interests to have people buy cars abroad. Sucks ass, so much for free trade amoung europe....not that there ever was.

I understand. But in terms of a 24 year old car, (in perfect condition that could be classed as a drive-able classic (at least to me :) ) ) such rules to discourage overseas (free trade to the detriment of our rip off merchants) buying makes no sense or reason and Because they Can, does not cut it with me..

w'nkers.

fbp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

fatboypee wrote: »
    I understand. But in terms of a 24 year old car, (in perfect condition that could be classed as a drive-able classic (at least to me :) ) ) such rules to discourage overseas (free trade to the detriment of our rip off merchants) buying makes no sense or reason and Because they Can, does not cut it with me..

w'nkers.

fbp.

I agree, 1 more year though and it's a classic I think then it's a nonimal flat fee to be paid on the VRT, think you could find one a year older in the same nick for the same price or just wait till Jan, what are ya looking at getting?

Don't register it until Jan (noting that it can't be driven until then!)

kbannon wrote: »
    Don't register it until Jan (noting that it can't be driven until then!)

Wow, thought it were 30 yrs, didn't realise it was 25! Puts a different spin on things :) Could maybe store it in UK for a while (brother there).

I know, its me, I love MK2 Cavaliers, the one I'm looking at is 1.8 sri 1986 with only 18000 miles. I know, cav, pitfalls of such an old car without much mileage etc etc but I've got a good mechanic look over it and t-belt to do if i got it but hey, classic in January? Beat the homogeneous lump I'm driving now for sure..

fbp.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

fatboypee wrote: »
    Wow, thought it were 30 yrs, didn't realise it was 25! Puts a different spin on things :) Could maybe store it in UK for a while (brother there).

I know, its me, I love MK2 Cavaliers, the one I'm looking at is 1.8 sri 1986 with only 18000 miles. I know, cav, pitfalls of such an old car without much mileage etc etc but I've got a good mechanic look over it and t-belt to do if i got it but hey, classic in January? Beat the homogeneous lump I'm driving now for sure..

fbp.

It's still 30 years for minimal VRT.

Yeah - I'm not thinking right!
    Sorry

• Advertisement

.......:( (crushed dreams) :) Oh well... worth a punt, The Financial controller would not assent to a close-on 2k outlay for this sadly :( Got consent for the 750 + perceived 330VRT but another 400 + ferry + NCT ++ and I'm toast..

fbp.

Advertisement