Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Regional Broadband Kilmacanogue

• 07-09-2010 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi all.

I have been a customer of Regional Broadband for a few years now and am living in the Kilmacanogue area of Wicklow. I got their broadband initially because it was the only broadband service available in the area. At the moment I am on their mid-priced package which (apparently) has a download speed of 2mb. However, during bad weather the connection can be slowed to a snails pace and can occasionally disconnect for hours on end . I use the broadband for gaming/emails etc (when it's working properly) and am starting to run out of patience with the poor connection. My problem is that I am unaware of any other broadband services that are available now to my area. I believe Eircom is planning to push their broadband out to the area but have not completed. Does anyone know if Eircom broadband is now available where I live? Or is anyone using another broadband provider that they could recommend?

Thanks

I also attach some stats of my connection

23643539.png

944153083.png

as you can see, pretty pathetic connection.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭kingtorres9

My sis has eircom broadband 3mb download speed and its fairly steady. She lives near the start of the hill on the way to roundwood. If that's any help

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭macuser56

Broadband is coming to Kilmacanogue but the progress is tediously slow. At present anyone getting broadband over a fixed line get the signal from bray. This means that the distance from the exchange is big, and the service is slow. The most you will get is 3mbps.

However Eircom have submitted plans to Wicklow cc to dig up around the n11 to upgrade the lines in the area. Once the plans are approved, it will take about 2-3 months. Once the lines are connected into the newly upgraded Kilmacanogue exchange, we should receive good speeds of 8mbps and above.

If you go with a fixed line broadband (Eircom/Vodafone etc) you should get the higher speeds at no extra cost when the area is upgraded.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭tomob666

My sis has eircom broadband 3mb download speed and its fairly steady. She lives near the start of the hill on the way to roundwood. If that's any help

Thanks for the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭tomob666

macuser56 wrote: »
    Broadband is coming to Kilmacanogue but the progress is tediously slow. At present anyone getting broadband over a fixed line get the signal from bray. This means that the distance from the exchange is big, and the service is slow. The most you will get is 3mbps.

However Eircom have submitted plans to Wicklow cc to dig up around the n11 to upgrade the lines in the area. Once the plans are approved, it will take about 2-3 months. Once the lines are connected into the newly upgraded Kilmacanogue exchange, we should receive good speeds of 8mbps and above.

If you go with a fixed line broadband (Eircom/Vodafone etc) you should get the higher speeds at no extra cost when the area is upgraded.

Thank you very much for the info, I've been doing a bit of research and it's been so hard to get such a simple straight answer. That's so frustrating about the length of time it will take. I've seen petitions to get decent broadband to the area that date back years. I am considering following up on what you said about the current fixed line, a decent 3mb connection would be far better than this un-reliant connection that should be 3mb but is 1.5-2mb max.
    Sounds like it will be quite a wait until we have a proper service in the area

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭macuser56

Yes it will take time but hopefully it won't be too long. The exchange itself has been upgraded, and so it is just the connecting of the lines which now needs to be done. The delay is due to planning permission required before Eircom can do the work along the n11.

If you do look at getting broadband on your line, ask the provider what speed your line can take and to verify this for you. May providers give you a theoretical speed, and you find then it can't support this. So it is just worth questioning them and ask them to double check the speeds before you go ahead.

The further you are from Kilmacanogue centre (say the business park and post office) the worse the line will be. The signal gets weaker as you head up the road to roundwood. This should all be solved once the work mentioned is completed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement