Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help - Question About Firearm Application

Options
  • 07-09-2010 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Hi, need some help.

In Section 4 of the application "Reason why this type of firearm is required"

If you tick "hunting" do you need the two land owners permission?

I am a member of an authorised Rifle club "Courtlough".

Do I tick both or just the club?

If I tick both do I need land owners permission?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

defib wrote: »

Hi, need some help.

In Section 4 of the application "Reason why this type of firearm is required"

If you tick "hunting" do you need the two land owners permission?

I am a member of an authorised Rifle club "Courtlough".

Do I tick both or just the club?

If I tick both do I need land owners permission?

Hunting = Permissions
    Range/Targets= Membership proof

I'd apply for both if I were you and supply both

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Why have you the firearm?

If its huntig, tick hunting and supply membership details of a GUN club or 2 land permissions.

If its target work/range work then tick the authorised club/range box and supply your membership details for the club/range.

You could supply both, but its ot necessary. You have the gun for a particular reason. Your application should be for the primary (but not sole) use of the firearm.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

ezridax wrote: »
    Why have you the firearm?

If its huntig, tick hunting and supply membership details of a GUN club or 2 land permissions.

If its target work/range work then tick the authorised club/range box and supply your membership details for the club/range.

You could supply both, but its ot necessary. You have the gun for a particular reason. Your application should be for the primary (but not sole) use of the firearm.

www.dictionary.com
    Ezri paybacks a be-atch lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

There's a thread in red flashing text that answers pretty much every question you could think of regarding the licensing system.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭defib

rrpc wrote: »
    There's a thread in red flashing text that answers pretty much every question you could think of regarding the licensing system.

I see the red text and but it isn't flashing on my PC.

I did read it and much much more, but it doesn't answer my question.

It tells me what I need. But does not tell me what I need if I tick both.

My problem is I don't know any land owners or live near any land onwers.

I have joined a club, also did the course and got the cert for section 2.5 of FCA1, I have a safe and even a cert from NSAI for the installed and monitored alarm.

But I do want to go hunting at some point.

Is it ok of just put "target shooting"?

Does this get checked?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

There has been alot of debate as to whether you can use the firearm for another purpose other than the one you stated as being the reason for wanting it. Some say you can others say you cannot.

My own personal thoughts on the matter are. You apply for the firearm for a particular reason. You get the license/firearm and use it as indicated on your application. As the license goes for 3 years and assuming you keep the firearm for the 3 years there is no reason why you cannot at a later stage choose a different purpose for the firearm and use it so.

In other words, you apply for the firearm for target work. You tick the box, supply details of your club/range and get the license. You shoot at your club/range. A year later you acquire some land to shoot over. Get the permissions in writing and keep them on you as you would your licenses. There is nothing to say you cannot use the firearm for hunting and if questioned you produce the permissions and you are covered.

Again its my opinion and should not be taken as a matter of law. However it does make sense and i know others use their firearms for dual purposes.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

defib wrote: »
    I see the red text and but it isn't flashing on my PC.

I did read it and much much more, but it doesn't answer my question.

It tells me what I need. But does not tell me what I need if I tick both.
    Apologies defib, it's been a while since I looked at that thread myself :o.

There were a couple of links that should have been on it including one to the NARGC website which outlined how to fill out the form for a game shooter and another on the NTSA website with a more target shooting slant (though with some references to hunting).

I had requested that they be added there and assumed they had as I had received a reply from a moderator that this was to be the case.

Unfortunately this hasn't happened, so I'll give the links here.

NARGC website link

NTSA website link

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

rrpc wrote: »
    There were a couple of links that should have been on it including one to the NARGC website which outlined how to fill out the form for a game shooter and another on the NTSA website with a more target shooting slant (though with some references to hunting).

I had requested that they be added there and assumed they had as I had received a reply from a moderator that this was to be the case.

Unfortunately this hasn't happened, so I'll give the links here.

NARGC website link

NTSA website link

I've added those in now. The NARGC one was missed, but the NTSA one originally wasn't because the original NTSA one was the one I'd written, and that's still linked to (just to the original copy on 10point9) - I hadn't seen the new one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭tfox

From my reading of the form the part that for entering land permission says to be filled in if you are apllying for a limited certificate, nothing about a standard cert.

I tried make this point when applying for my licences and was told " well dont blame me if the sarge sends it all back to you in a few weeks " :mad:

So reluctantly filled it in then.

tfox wrote: »
    From my reading of the form the part that for entering land permission says to be filled in if you are apllying for a limited certificate, nothing about a standard cert.

I tried make this point when applying for my licences and was told " well dont blame me if the sarge sends it all back to you in a few weeks " :mad:

So reluctantly filled it in then.
    You were right the first time, it's clearly headed up as to what it's for.

You just tick the hunting box and attach your permissions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement