Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a few questions..

Options
  • 07-09-2010 5:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭

1. Once gladioli have flowered and been dead-headed do i have to wait for the leaves to die down? or can i cut off the leaves and store the bulbs over winter in paper bags?

2. Ive sown some broad beans and i got a decent harvest the first time round. Now my crop has been infected by chocolate spot-should i just cut down the entire patch and let the roots rot down and grow brassicas there next season?

3. When does the frost that kills off annuals start? i have some badly placed petunias in the garden and i need to know when they will die off

4. Lastly does any have any good tips for propagating strawberries from runners? can i grow strawberries during the winter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

Once gladioli have flowered and been dead-headed do i have to wait for the leaves to die down? or can i cut off the leaves and store the bulbs over winter in paper bags?

I would allow the foliage to die down itself to get as much energy saved for next years flower

When does the frost that kills off annuals start? i have some badly placed petunias in the garden and i need to know when they will die off

Depends where you are (Midlands/Coast) for Frost's If you find the Petunias are looking tired or want to put something else in it's place you can remove them anytime and give the next plant time to rootin before the winter set's in

Lastly does any have any good tips for propagating strawberries from runners? can i grow strawberries during the winter?

It is Possible to grow strawberries for x-mas...With lights to extend the day light and using "coldstored plants" however your ESB bill will be massive!!

You can also get Everbearer Plants which can produce up to November/first frosts but taste similar to Turnip!!!
    if you can source a cultivar called Bolero (Heard it's decent). Evita another one bit bland for me

Allow the Runners to run "free" over a 0ne metre wide bed and root all over it, grow on one season .. removing the flowers can encourge more runner growth
    (But do ensure all the plants start to show flowers to ensure you have a fruiting plant and not one that produces plants only, some american cultivars have this problem I heard )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭hello932

jezko wrote: »

Lastly does any have any good tips for propagating strawberries from runners? can i grow strawberries during the winter?

It is Possible to grow strawberries for x-mas...With lights to extend the day light and using "coldstored plants" however your ESB bill will be massive!!

You can also get Everbearer Plants which can produce up to November/first frosts but taste similar to Turnip!!!
    if you can source a cultivar called Bolero (Heard it's decent). Evita another one bit bland for me

Allow the Runners to run "free" over a 0ne metre wide bed and root all over it, grow on one season .. removing the flowers can encourge more runner growth
    (But do ensure all the plants start to show flowers to ensure you have a fruiting plant and not one that produces plants only, some american cultivars have this problem I heard )

The variety of strawberries im growing are a everbearer type called 'Albion'-i got them due to their increased virus resistance.

I intend to grow the new plants made from runners in a outside garden with maybe some some anti bird netting. I was under the impression that strawberries are hardy during the winter time-that is the cold wont kill them off or will it?

hello932 wrote: »
    The variety of strawberries im growing are a everbearer type called 'Albion'-i got them due to their increased virus resistance.

I intend to grow the new plants made from runners in a outside garden with maybe some some anti bird netting. I was under the impression that strawberries are hardy during the winter time-that is the cold wont kill them off or will it?

Strawberry plants are Fully hardy, however once hit with frost will stop growing and loose their leaves, leaving behind the crown a brown/black "stem". in mild winters some leaves can stay green .. but most go brown... Your plant is NOT DEAD!! just in a dormant state.
    Ensure you dont plant the crown below soil level as the plant will rot!! The roots tend to be shallow and can't compete easily with weeds.
    Once Sprng comes, leaves and eventually flower trusses will grow from the crown.
    You don't need the bird protection until the Fruit are forming... Watch out for Slugs too .. Buggers!!

I looked up 'Albion' as it starts fruiting in June you could remove the first flower trusses to encourage more growth and fruit for later in the season..

That is if you have a "june bearing plant" to produce a "nice/sweeter fruit in june/july.

Strawberry's ALWAYS taste better if grown in the soil... and not Peat!! IMO;)

Dam i was kinda hoping that strawberries would be evergreen...my garden is going to look very bare come winter time...

Though i did sow some winter cabbage last week..*sigh*

Dam i was kinda hoping that strawberries would be evergreen...my garden is going to look very bare come winter time...

Though i did sow some winter cabbage last week..*sigh*

You could be lucky we couuld get a mild winter and the plant's keep some of the leaves... also happens if it's in a sheltered site.

However from what I understood if you have mild winters the plants fruit less compared to very frosty winters... ( the lenght of cold period effects how the plant fruits too )

Try Pansy's to brighten the dark winter ahead

• Advertisement

Ive sown some broad beans and i got a decent harvest the first time round. Now my crop has been infected by chocolate spot-should i just cut down the entire patch and let the roots rot down and grow brassicas there next season?

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/Profile.aspx?pid=89

"Chocolate spot is caused by two Botrytis fungi. Botrytis fabae is the most common cause and only affects broad beans. "

I am not really into Vegetables but looked up chocolate spots and found the above link. Am sure others may be able to share from their own experiences

Ok regarding the storing of gladioli bulbs in plastic bags over the winter-some the of the deadheaded gladioli are now turning yellow and brown spots appearing over the leaves...is this normal or a disease?

Should i just cut these down and hope for the best?

Ok regarding the storing of gladioli bulbs in plastic bags over the winter-some the of the deadheaded gladioli are now turning yellow and brown spots appearing over the leaves...is this normal or a disease?

Should i just cut these down and hope for the best?

don't use a plastic bag ... use paper... bulbs will sweat in plastic.

Your gladioli should still green.... lift the bulbs later next month

sorry can't if it's a disease or not... if you are worried mark the "bad" bulbs and keep them seperate from the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

i always leave the gladioli bulbs in the ground, BUT they require replaceing every 4 years.

Advertisement