Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the best value broadband

Options
  • 07-09-2010 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for a bit of advice for a friend who wants (preferably) wireless broadband without a data limit (so they can watch newscasts & stuff from back home)

It doesn't have to be dongle but it would be easier than a landline connection.

Does anyone know somewhere where you can compare the prices or any other info that might be helpful ?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭tomdadude

dacogawa wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for a bit of advice for a friend who wants (preferably) wireless broadband without a data limit (so they can watch newscasts & stuff from back home)

It doesn't have to be dongle but it would be easier than a landline connection.

Does anyone know somewhere where you can compare the prices or any other info that might be helpful ?

Thanks

The product you're looking for doesn't exist here I'm afraid.Forget large data limits with dongle "broadband".For high data usage Cable/DSL is your only hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Hi Tomdadude,

She'd be interested in the Cable/DSL if she cant get it in a dongle, but vodafone says it does the unlimited here http://www.vodafone.ie/df/mobilebroadband/plandetails.jsp;jsessionid=8EF4720D90DF5512D672B64B3465BA12?packageplanselected=HSDNPRE for €24.99 a month.

I'll have to get some cable/dsl prices as well, do you know of any bargins ?

Thanks for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Hi Tomdadude,

She'd be interested in the Cable/DSL if she cant get it in a dongle, but vodafone says it does the unlimited here http://www.vodafone.ie/df/mobilebroadband/plandetails.jsp;jsessionid=8EF4720D90DF5512D672B64B3465BA12?packageplanselected=HSDNPRE for €24.99 a month.

I'll have to get some cable/dsl prices as well, do you know of any bargins ?

Thanks for the reply

Hi on the matter of the vodafone unlimited service it is NOT unlimited it has a cap 10GB and when you go over the limit you will be cut off or overcharged really not worth it that service from vodafone falsely advertising it as unlimited :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Mobile isn't Broadband.

Any Broadband service can be Wireless via a suitable Router.

Thanks for the replys, so mobile isn't the way to go then. ok, whats the best unlimited Cable/DSL deal at the moment ?

Thanks again :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

Thanks for the replys, so mobile isn't the way to go then. ok, whats the best unlimited Cable/DSL deal at the moment ?

Thanks again :)

No such thing as unlimited UPC 15 or 30meg has a 250Gig cap.

If you go over this they have a hidden extreme pack for 80 euro per month now that is unlimited.

944629674.png

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭WhodahWoodah

As far as dongles go I know my housemate has a 3 dongle and she's able to video Skype on it and everything. It also streams quite quickly. I think she pays 20 per month for a 10G cap which is the same as the Vodafone capped dongle but Vodafone definitely have brought out the uncapped dongle for 25 per month. I was only reading about it somewhere on the Vodafone thread the other day as I'm thinking of getting it. The OP there wanted to know was there a download limit and the guy from Vodafone came on and said it's definitely unlimited. Sorry I can't link it here but am on my iPhone so too tricky! Vodafne do a one week free trial for theirs afaik so maybe you should try that and if you don't like it or it doesn't suit you just bring it back. That's my plan-suck it and see!! I have no idea about the other providers and trials as reading the Vodafone thread is the sum total of my research to date!

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭KennyLegend

Dont mean to be an ass but theres lots of posts on here on this topic. Do a search!!

Thanks for the info guys, its looking like a choice between WiMax and Vodafone if she goes for wireless and UPC if not. found this list of broadband providers & prices, etc in Ireland if anyone needs it in the future

http://www.broadband.gov.ie/BBWeb/Templates/BroadbandServicesexa.aspx?NRMODE=Published&NRNODEGUID={B2DB0901-632F-4F93-9B21-EB7006E6569C}&NRORIGINALURL=/List+all++Services/&NRCACHEHINT=Guest

Thanks again for the help :)

Vodafone Mobile and Imagine Wimax are not Broadband or reliable.

Does she "really" want "Wireless" (different buildings or places) or un-tethered, aka Cordless via WiFi Wireless to any room?

There is no comparison at all in quality of Service and performance between UPC (real Broadband) via an in house WiFi router and Imagine WiMax (Mobile/Nomadic on a really bad frequency for it) or Vodafone Mobile (3G phone system). None of the "dongle" Mobile Wireless services generally available are actually Broadband.
    See http://www.techtir.ie/forums/internet-faq
    and
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055442502

• Advertisement

Hi Watty,

Thanks for the reply, she's just moved into a new apartment and doesn't want to get a landline so thats what I meant about wireless, I probably said it wrong, sorry.

I also think her best bet is to bite the bullet and get UPC, if I didn't hate the old NTL company so much (long story) I'd probably get it myself :)

I told her that the video would probably be laggy/slow with voda & WiMax, never mind the voda signal, my friend has a dongle & has to use a usb extension lead and leave it in the window to get a good signal, but now its up to her!

Thanks again for the help

No connection between UPC and NTL.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭John mac

It also depends where your friend is living, access to upc, phone lines, fixed wireless. 3g signal strength.

Hi Watty, I know. just like there's no connection between NTL & Cablelink, they still cracked my house wall and didn't fix it!

Hi John Mac, she's based in Ranelagh so hopefully she's good for all options

Advertisement