Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Fox Problem' in apartment development

Options
  • 07-09-2010 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

I posted here about whether I should feed a very skinny fox cub.

I have recently received a letter from my managment company saying there is a 'Fox problem' and there will be getting in a pest control company to trap and relocate the healthy foxes.

Now there is only one Fox, the cub I fed and I'm quite upset & concerned about what is going to happen to him. He is still very skinny - I only feed him about once a week so that he learns to fend for himself - so I'm now worried he won't be deemed 'healthy' and will be put to sleep.

It isn't causing any harm to anybody so I don't know why they won't just leave him alone, we live near a field where I'm sure he lives.

Can anybody advise me on anything I can do to stop him being trapped? Could the ISPCA help?

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭wetdogsmell

legally a fox i classed as vermin so they can legally trap and put it down,
    alot of people are worried about foxes attacking children, after the twins being attacked in england, you only feed the fox once a week, how would you feel if the fox came looking for food on another day and attacked a child that lived in another apartment ?
    (not having a go, just making a point)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

how would you feel if the fox came looking for food on another day and attacked a child that lived in another apartment ?

I would be astonished as it is never going to happen. OP have a look online & see if there is a wildlife rescue that could relocate him.

A pest controller will kill him whether he is healthy or not.

Discodog wrote: »
    I would be astonished as it is never going to happen. OP have a look online & see if there is a wildlife rescue that could relocate him.

A pest controller will kill him whether he is healthy or not.

i admit its highly unlikely but i think its a bit ignorant to say its never going to happen

I will stick with never & be ignorant. A lot of people are not in the least bit worried. The polls in London have shown that the majority support the foxes & do not see them as a threat. The reason for this is that London has been full of foxes for donkey's years & there has never been a previous attack.

I will stick with never & be ignorant. A lot of people are not in the least bit worried. The polls in London have shown that the majority support the foxes & do not see them as a threat. The reason for this is that London has been full of foxes for donkey's years & there has never been a previous attack.

i think your wrong there, there was another attack a couple of weeks later

• Advertisement

i think your wrong there, there was another attack a couple of weeks later

Can you supply a link ?. People can get bitten by foxes but it is because they invade the fox's space or threaten the fox. An unprovoked attack is something completely different & unheard of. Even the babies incident was probably born out of curiosity.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Cooper07

Thanks for your replies.

I believe the fox attacks were desperate attempts by the foxes to get food, recently with the introduction of wheely bins etc it is harder than ever for foxes to get food - just my opinion.

Back to my fox cub would anybody know of a wild life company who would be able to help save him?

Foxes love wheelie bins. The excellent one hour Channel 4 documentary had some great shots of foxes opening bins. The reason that the urban population is so big is purely down to the availability of food. It every city the bins are full of food waste.

The whole key to this is that people would not feed foxes if they thought that foxes posed a threat. If there were any appreciable attacks then word would spread. The people who like & support the foxes have children. They have all heard about the "attack" but it bears no relationship to their experience of foxes.

Can you supply a link ?. People can get bitten by foxes but it is because they invade the fox's space or threaten the fox. An unprovoked attack is something completely different & unheard of. Even the babies incident was probably born out of curiosity.

sorry mate, i can't find the link but it was a 13 year old girl,,,

how can an unprovoked attack be unheard of if it attacked babys out of curiosity (is that not unpovoked ?)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

how can an unprovoked attack be unheard of if it attacked babys out of curiosity (is that not unpovoked ?)
    It depends on your definition of "attack". The word implies an intent to cause harm to the other party for a purpose, in response to or to initiate a fight. You can't attack something out of curiosity.

In the case of the babies, the foxes weren't "fighting", they were likely investigating and showed no fear of the baby and bit on it to see what they could get out of it. It was unlikely that the fox got aggressive or otherwise was in fighting mode.

Look at it this way, if I were to accidentally smack you with my hand as you walked by, would you say I attacked you, or would you just call it an "incident". Forget what the media call it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

I was attacked by a fox once. I was trying to rub its tail and it didn't want me to. I don't think it would have eaten me though, I don't taste very nice...

'cptr

seamus wrote: »
    It depends on your definition of "attack". The word implies an intent to cause harm to the other party for a purpose, in response to or to initiate a fight. You can't attack something out of curiosity.

In the case of the babies, the foxes weren't "fighting", they were likely investigating and showed no fear of the baby and bit on it to see what they could get out of it. It was unlikely that the fox got aggressive or otherwise was in fighting mode.

Look at it this way, if I were to accidentally smack you with my hand as you walked by, would you say I attacked you, or would you just call it an "incident". Forget what the media call it.

thats a fair point, the fox did a fair bit of damage to the babys, (both of them), and the sound a screaming baby makes is a bit like the sound a rabbit makes when caught, so personaly i think the fox just seen the kids as food, i don't think it was fighting them it just seen them as food

going off topic,, sorry

Also a fox or any other animal is entitled to defend itself as with cptr's fox.
    If the fox sniffed a baby & the baby grasped the fox then it may of bit out of self defence. It may of just seen the baby as dinner. Either way foxes do not leap out of the undergrowth & attack us.

They are not naturally aggressive. I have handled foxes, often with serious injuries & they have rarely tried to bite. If residents leave foxes alone then the foxes pose no threat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

If he is in poor condition now he won't last much longer when the cold weather settles in. If he has mange too than things aren't at all pleasant for him. It may be kinder to have pest control deal with the fox.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Pest control company is talking through it's backside..you can't legally catch wild animals and release them unlicenced. And where are they going to release an urban fox anyway ?

Also a fox or any other animal is entitled to defend itself as with cptr's fox.
    If the fox sniffed a baby & the baby grasped the fox then it may of bit out of self defence. It may of just seen the baby as dinner. Either way foxes do not leap out of the undergrowth & attack us.

They are not naturally aggressive. I have handled foxes, often with serious injuries & they have rarely tried to bite. If residents leave foxes alone then the foxes pose no threat.

are you having a laugh? most of your points were fair enough, but to say a fox attacked two sleeping babys out of self deffence is a bit silly :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

Pest control company is talking through it's backside..you can't legally catch wild animals and release them unlicenced. And where are they going to release an urban fox anyway ?

thats true, they cant release wild animals into a new location, and rightly so the will be destroyed because they are classed as vermin, also to say a fox attacked two children out of self defence is a joke, u cant seriously believe that

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

perhaps the fox is just 'skinny'? I'm living out in the sticks and see alot of foxes in my garden and the are all very skinny. At first I was suprised but the more I've seen I think that's generally the way they are. Maybe yours will be captured and brought off to someplace nice!

captured and brought off to someplace nice!

i really hope the dont, people do a lot of work controling fox numbers without people dumping more in the area, its also cruel on the fox, if he is used to being fed he wont last long in the country

jap gt wrote: »
    also to say a fox attacked two children out of self defence is a joke, u cant seriously believe that

Ok you won't listen but let's try. Young Freddy Fox smells something interesting, different & maybe food. He follows the scent & gets to a piece of meat hanging out of the side of a cot (it's a baby's arm but he hasn't met a baby before). So he bites it. Only this bit of meat screams & struggles. Freddie has a choice, run & miss dinner or hang on. Hanging on works with rats etc so he hangs on.

Did he go upstairs & say "Here is a baby to attack" ?.

It may be a joke to you but millions of Londoners know that the fox was not being aggressive which is why the GLC & London mayor have changed their original position of culling foxes. Millions of people in London live their lives surrounded by foxes but there has been no outcry to kill them even after a so called "attack".

• Advertisement

thats true, they cant release wild animals into a new location, and rightly so the will be destroyed because they are classed as vermin, also to say a fox attacked two children out of self defence is a joke, u cant seriously believe that

Wrong !. I used to release relocated urban foxes on two London sites. Heathrow Airport & Clapham Common. I did this on behalf of the largest, most famous & reputable Wildlife Teaching Hospital in Europe run by a man who is accepted as a World authority on foxes.

Anyone of the millions who watch Animal ER will of seen the hospital doing the same. This was only done after extensive radio tagging studies showed that the released foxes thrived.

Ok you won't listen but let's try. Young Freddy Fox smells something interesting, different & maybe food. He follows the scent & gets to a piece of meat hanging out of the side of a cot (it's a baby's arm but he hasn't met a baby before). So he bites it. Only this bit of meat screams & struggles. Freddie has a choice, run & miss dinner or hang on. Hanging on works with rats etc so he hangs on.

Did he go upstairs & say "Here is a baby to attack" ?.

It may be a joke to you but millions of Londoners know that the fox was not being aggressive which is why the GLC & London mayor have changed their original position of culling foxes. Millions of people in London live their lives surrounded by foxes but there has been no outcry to kill them even after a so called "attack".

its obvious that he didnt intend to attack them, its the fact that he was in the house in the first place, thats why the are vermin, if a rat came into your house you would put down a trap and kill it, same thing goes for a fox, if the same rat bit someone in the house would you say it was done in self defence

its obvious that he didnt intend to attack them, its the fact that he was in the house in the first place, thats why the are vermin, if a rat came into your house you would put down a trap, same thing goes for a fox, if the same rat bit someone in the house would you say it was done in self defence

You see Freddie as Vermin & millions of Londoners don't. Vermin is a convenient phrase that we use to justify killing something. To some it means that the animal is worthless to others it means scaring the public to make money.

As you think me an idiot I will confirm it. I would & have live trapped rats & relocated them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

you could also class it as 'apartment problem' in fox development

I reckon theres been more attacks by dogs than foxes. I stayed in a hostel in south London and there was a good few foxes out at night but some of the kids there seemed to throw stones at them. I gave them a few oat biscuits. they're about as dangerous as a stray dog

they've lived in Dublin a long time before it got built up. In Terenure,Tempelouge, Rathfarnham you see them out at night. the fields where food was plenty are now housing estates. so they live in the parks now instead

You see Freddie as Vermin & millions of Londoners don't. Vermin is a convenient phrase that we use to justify killing something. To some it means that the animal is worthless to others it means scaring the public to make money.

As you think me an idiot I will confirm it. I would & have live trapped rats & relocated them.

where did i say you were an idiot, although trapping and releasing rats is also illegal, its not the fact that fox are in the city its the fact that they entered the house and bit the children weather it meant to or not it should never have been there in the first place

foxes are seen as vermin because thats what they are, they cause damage to livestock, they just happen to be cute vermin, if rats had fluffy tails and a cuter face people would probably feed them too, but it would'nt stop them being vermin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

foxes are seen as vermin because thats what they are, they cause damage to livestock, they just happen to be cute vermin, if rats had fluffy tails and a cuter face people would probably feed them too, but it would'nt stop them being vermin
    You consider them vermin, fair enough. Other people don't. The op doesn't. Everybody entitled to opinion.

You consider them vermin, fair enough. Other people don't. The op doesn't. Everybody entitled to opinion.

foxes are legaly classed as vermin, you can consider them what ever you want it does'nt change that fact

Vermin:

noxious, objectionable, or disgusting animals collectively, esp. those of small size that appear commonly and are difficult to control, as flies, lice, bedbugs, cockroaches, mice, and rats.

an objectionable or obnoxious person, or such persons collectively.

The second definition opens up no end of possibilities - get the guns lads !

The first definition isn't Freddie Fox.

Have you see the Fawlty Towers rat episode ?. You sound like the Major.

• Advertisement

the op asked what would happen to the fox, he was told they would be trapped and released which is a lie or else illegal, im sure the op would like to know where he stands, if it was me i would stop feeding him and hope he fecks off before he gets trapped

Advertisement