Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Fox Problem' in apartment development

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

and i suppose ye will say now that the fox entered the room and bit her in self defence, the arguement that the fox entered looking for food is stupid,they dont belong in cities in the first place, fox dont belong in cities and this case is another example of why the should be culled out of them.

i hunt fox regulary but i dont take enjoyment in it, if i see a fox in my area i shoot it, i have a number of livestock that the fox would be only too willing to kill

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭wetdogsmell

Discodog wrote: »
    The story:

"Seconds later an adult fox attacked the lawyer, sinking its teeth into her ear, which later had to be glued back together by medics. A terrified Miss Bradwell then managed to scare the startled fox off which she believed entered her house through an open downstairs window.
    Doctors at the hospital she attended found that the fox’s teeth had cut through the cartilage in her ear, which could not be stitched"

The Ear:
    article-1310837-0B1F05E4000005DC-499_224x423.jpg

The next thing is that we will 'ear how she is suing the fox for damages. Sleeping in a ground floor bedroom with the window open in London - she has had a lucky escape that it was only a fox !. This surgical glue must be good stuff !.

your right, it was her fault, the fox was probably trying to protect her from a rapist or thought her ear was a rasher

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

jap gt wrote: »
    i hunt fox regulary but i dont take enjoyment in it,

Not in the least bit contradictory there !. You must be knee deep in new foxes - just proves that shooting them is pointless.

At least Wetdog is honest enough to admit that he enjoys it.

your right, it was her fault, the fox was probably trying to protect her from a rapist or thought her ear was a rasher

You don't think that the headline & photo of the savage fox etc is a bit at odds with the actual damage done ?.

The fox population hasn't suddenly rocketed. They have been in cities for years & we have never had reports like this.

You know as well as I do that any animal that is startled can bite.

Compare & contrast with the photos here:

http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co.uk/news/Savaged-Gloucester-toddler-attacked-collie/article-2627277-detail/article.html

So do we have to cull all the collies as well ?

You don't think that the headline & photo of the savage fox etc is a bit at odds with the actual damage done ?.

The fox population hasn't suddenly rocketed. They have been in cities for years & we have never had reports like this.

You know as well as I do that any animal that is startled can bite.

Compare & contrast with the photos here:

http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co.uk/news/Savaged-Gloucester-toddler-attacked-collie/article-2627277-detail/article.html

So do we have to cull all the collies as well ?

to be honest there was no real damage done to her ear and i don't belive the fox population has sudenly increased, i do think little attacks like this have been probably happening for years but it was'nt highlighted untill the babys, i agree its the media getting carried away, but when animals are startled they normaly run away, and i personaly belive its people feeding them that is bringing them into homes and making them less fearful of people

• Advertisement

to be honest there was no real damage done to her ear and i don't belive the fox population has sudenly increased, i do think little attacks like this have been probably happening for years but it was'nt highlighted untill the babys, i agree its the media getting carried away, but when animals are startled they normaly run away, and i personaly belive its people feeding them that is bringing them into homes and making them less fearful of people

Good god we almost agree :D

One of the most painful bites that I have had recently was from..........a Hamster who took exception to being woken up. I was told that there was one in the cage - there were two !

Not in the least bit contradictory there !. You must be knee deep in new foxes - just proves that shooting them is pointless.

how so, i do it both for myself and neighbours, aswell as the gun club, how is it pointless, pointless would be not shooting them and letting them kill my hens ducks turkeys etc

how so, i do it both for myself and neighbours, aswell as the gun club, how is it pointless, pointless would be not shooting them and letting them kill my hens ducks turkeys etc

You don't need to kill foxes to prevent them killing fowl. You just house the fowl properly. I kept ducks, hens, & geese for years - never lost one to a fox. I have recently helped a friend in building a fox proof hen house & run - it isn't rocket science.

all my hens etc cant be killed in a house, but if your raising free range birds its kinda hard to do it in a house, and i seriously doubt you have as much poultry as i have so i need no lessons on building secure pens, also how are you going to house pheasants that our club has released foxes have to be kept under control simple as...

and at the end of the day i dont have to defend my actions to you or anybody else

all my hens etc cant be killed in a house, but if your raising free range birds its kinda hard to do it in a house, and i seriously doubt you have as much poultry as i have so i need no lessons on building secure pens, also how are you going to house pheasants that our club has released foxes have to be kept under control simple as...

and at the end of the day i dont have to defend my actions to you or anybody else

What a Sport. Breed pheasants, raise them, protect them, release them & then shoot them. The last time that I was near a shoot the pheasants were so tame they were walking up to the shooters. The beaters had to virtually beat them to get them to fly.

• Advertisement

What a Sport. Breed pheasants, raise them, protect them, release them & then shoot them. The last time that I was near a shoot the pheasants were so tame they were walking up to the shooters. The beaters had to virtually beat them to get them to fly.

i can assure you these are wild,and imo its the best free range meat you can get, its no different to chickens except they are shot instead of having their throates cut, at least the phesants have a fighting chance at escaping, that must have been a very badly run shoot you went to, ours isnt a driven shoot anyway, but this isnt the place for talking about pheasants

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Again you go for the extreme
    So your colourful method of describing those that hunt isnt?.If you are able to dish it out be able to take it. Like I said earlier in a post, we can all go to the extreme in describing each side of the debate.
    You encourage Grouse, Partridge & Deer to shoot them
    I have never shot any of the above, and shooting organisations encourage sanctuaries that allow all species a place of safe living. I do know that money raised by the NARGC went to support the protection of wetlands in Florida.Imagine that a shooting organisation supporting this, heaven forbid:rolleyes:
    How many animal rights extremists do you think there are in Ireland ?. I have never met one. Or do you include people that peacefully protest at a hunt or outside a Greyhound track ?.
    John Fitzgerald is a regular contributor to local papers and boy god does he come out with some statements. John Tierney is not too far behind him on those stakes and a certain female member had some dubious connections with loyalist paras.Funny how you choose to ignore my comment on personal property being damaged. I have no problem with people having peaceful protests. How come the animal activists are not outside the kennel clubs or pedigree dog shows protesting about the breeding that is allowed by these organisations? Taking photos of peoples houses involved in shooting and posting them on websites isnt a bit extreme to you?
    For example we are better than China
    I am working with some guys from China and they think us westerners as rather strange at the moment.
    Of course because he agrees with you
    I have never seen this poster on boards till they started posting in this thread, and the majority of comments I have made in this thread have been in response to things you have been saying.
    At the end of the day there will be little agreement between those who care for animals & those who derive pleasure from killing them
    There you go again :rolleyes: Like I said I can stay posting about so called said animal lovers and you can stay getting on your moral high ground.
    I have lived the other side of the story. I was raised on a farm. I longed to get my first air rifle, I practised like mad & at the first attempt I shot a Starling. As my mates were congratulating me on a pretty good shot I looked down at the dead bird & thought why the hell have I done this. They felt pleasure, I felt sick.
    Why did you kill the starling tut tut tut showing off in front of your friends :eek: and because you ****ed up you now want to throw your guilt on the hunting community. When I have hunted it has gone into the pot to feed my dogs or to people who appreciate a rabbit or pheasant.
    Its so nice to see that you know what you are talking about, can you give me the statistics on released birds, some how i doubt it very much but I will be happy to educate you a little. When releasing pheasants for every forty that are going to be shot 100 have to be released. I was involved in a club that released 1200 birds every year, the local farmers were quiet happy about this some who would not be very pro shooting and were more than happy to let the club place feeders around their property. We also had 300 acres of woodland that was reguarly visited and checked on by National wildlife rangers who are very pleased with our club and its management of the woodland.

You seem to refuse quiet blankly that anyone involved in shooting is any way remotely interested in animals, I could be take the same approach and just be negative in every way refusing to see any point that you may post with an open mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Why won't you tell your neighbours you feed foxes if you're so proud to do so, OP?

Again you go for the extreme. How many animal rights extremists do you think there are in Ireland ?. I have never met one. Or do you include people that peacefully protest at a hunt or outside a Greyhound track ?.

What about convicted bombers?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Yates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Why won't you tell your neighbours you feed foxes if you're so proud to do so, OP?

Most likely afraid olf the deserved backlash from neighbours, no one likes increased management fees due to vermin control costs.

Most likely afraid olf the deserved backlash from neighbours, no one likes increased management fees due to vermin control costs.

That, and the backlash due to attracting the vermin into their shared space, and the probability that he's breaching his lease, I'd guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Cooper07

I have been away for the last few days so only reading your replies now.

For your information my management company & agent are well aware that I feed the Fox Cub and I would happily tell any of the residents I do so.

I find some of the arguments on this thread absolutely outrageous, that an isolated incident is causing so much hysteria. Yes one fox unfortunately bit a child (badly) however you cannot genaralise and tar all foxes with the same brush - that's absolutely outrageous. I'm amn't even going to bother arguing that point. I was looking for advice on what I could do to help the foxes staying in their habitat - their home. There is a large field near my apartments which is where the Foxes live. They come out at night (all 2 of them) and potter around causing no harm to anybody. What sort of a society do we live in where we don't embrace nature?

On a positive note - I saw Freddie this evening and he is absolutely fine, I've never been so happy to see an animal in my life! I'm delighted he is okay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

Cooper07 wrote: »

For your information my management company & agent are well aware that I feed the Fox Cub and I would happily tell any of the residents I do so.

I find some of the arguments on this thread absolutely outrageous, that an isolated incident is causing so much hysteria. Yes one fox unfortunately bit a child (badly) however you cannot genaralise and tar all foxes with the same brush - that's absolutely outrageous. I'm amn't even going to bother arguing that point. I was looking for advice on what I could do to help the foxes staying in their habitat - their home. There is a large field near my apartments which is where the Foxes live. They come out at night (all 2 of them) and potter around causing no harm to anybody. What sort of a society do we live in where we don't embrace nature?

On a positive note - I saw Freddie this evening and he is absolutely fine, I've never been so happy to see an animal in my life! I'm delighted he is okay!
    Nice one:)

Cooper07 wrote: »

just let me know were this feild is and i'll sort out this problem for you ;)

Advertisement