Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stubborn BB removal

• 07-09-2010 6:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭

F**k it, puff, ping, ouch, FUUU.....

Trying to change the cranks on the OH's bike, an old square taper standard chainset for a new(er) compact hollowtech one. Everything going fine - pedals came off effortlessly, crank bolts ditto, crank arms as tough as expected but not too bad, non drive side BB slieve/cup removed easily, BB unit from drive side: IM-F*CKING-POSSIBLE!:mad:

So now I've some cut knuckles, grease morealess evenly spread over a wide area, tools spread over an equally wide area and a partially disassembled bike (thankfully not mine, but I'll still hear about it if its not working later)

So any advice to be got out there? Any tricks of the trade to loosen the thing?

I'm pretty sure (99% certain) the drive side tightens anticlockwise so I've been attempting to turn it clockwise but the BB tool keeps losing purchase under pressure.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Try to get some penetrating oil in there, maybe even let it sit in a tub (or whatever shaped container you can sit the BB in) overnight.

Do you have a vise? Everyone should have a vise, they're not just handy for mafioso types.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 822 ✭✭✭columbus_66

1, Try to tighten the tool onto the BB so it wont slip so easy, use a clamp maybe.
    2, get a lend of another tool off someone as yours may be worn.

3, Lock the BB into a vice and turn the frame! (bike shop favorite!)

If all else fails bring it into a bike shop who maigh have a Vice or a BFH (big hammer)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Hmmm, cheers lads, will try the oil thing - don't have any penetrating oil per se but I'm guessing a good degreaser spray or light oil shot in through the open left side could have some effect.

Don't have a vice though, not sure where I'd get purchase on the thing with it anyhow - think it'll be a last big effort tomorrow afternoon after a soak and then if there's no joy it'll be down to the experts

Tell ya the effort of trying to get it off so far - definitely on par with a 30 minute 300W turbo session :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭High Nellie

As a very last resort - well, second-last really - the last is probably cutting it out with oxycetalane which will destroy the paint:
    Blow out the spindle and bearing with an educated blow of a fairly heavy hammer.
    This will leave the outer sleeve of the bearing/BB still seized in the frame.
    Get a junior hacksaw blade and snap off one end (careful with the eyes).
    Hold the blade in something like a small vice grips to that you have a tiny hacksaw.
    Gently make a cut into the sleeve, cutting 'flat' down towards the threads (the blade may warp or snap so get a packet - you actually cut on the 'pull' rather than the normal 'push' stroke - but you will not get this right all the time).
    Stop when you think you are near or just on the threads. Then make a similar cut about 2mm away.
    You now have the makings of a wedge that you might be able to pick or 'chizle' out of the sleeve. A very small screw-driver - live a phase tester - will do as a little chizle)
    If this comes out, the sleeve will collapse and you will have no problem. It's not the end of the world if you cut into the thread on the frame slightly - the new one will still screw in fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

Leverage is the key. I had a similar experience, tried for three days to remove the BB, resorted to driving with frame to my brother-in-law who does plant hire, he took out one of his three foot spanners, I held the frame and in seconds the BB was removed with one last dying screech of protest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

Have you used a crank bolt to secure the tool onto the cup? If it's a standard shimano cup
    shimano-un54-bb-06.jpg
    Then it's just a case of securing the tool to the cup and using leverage I'd be very surprised if you had to use high nellies suggestion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭CrankyCod

If you don't have easing oil, soak the BB in diesel overnight, that gets in anywhere. Also, try gently heating the BB, sometimes the components will expand at different rates and loosen up. Don't use a blowtorch or anything too severe, just a hot air gun like the ones used for stripping paint.
    (You may lose some paint)

Don't catch fire!

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭bbosco

abcdggs wrote: »
    Have you used a crank bolt to secure the tool onto the cup? If it's a standard shimano cup

If not you can just use a rear QR skewer to hold the tool in place. Always works for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

bbosco wrote: »
    If not you can just use a rear QR skewer to hold the tool in place. Always works for me.

Totally giving that a shot!

Would try the crank bolt option too but it's an extended tool to allow use of a big hex tool so the bolt is too short to reach the axel - thanks for the suggestion though.

Have the yoke well drenched in oil since last night and going to leave it till this evening before going back to it - hopefully that'll get the job finished!

Advertisement