Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cinelli Geometry query

Options
  • 07-09-2010 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

After seeing some pictures of a Cinelli XCR it got me to thinking (read dreaming;)) about whether and what size would be a good fit for me.

I am 6 foot tall, i.e. 183cm and have a 34.5 inch inside leg measurement (crotch to floor in bare feet).

I pulled up the Cinelli geometry page,
    link here
    http://www.cinelli.it/scripts/pop_geometrie.php?Id=159&lang=EN

(note that the bike itself is here
    http://www.cinelli.it/scripts/prodotti.php?Id=1&lang=EN&IdBici=556&ViewMode=2
    )

Then I began to think was this why I never had one of them Italian smally bikes.

Essentially the two sizes that might fit me are the L and XL, which give a horizontal Top Tube measurement (T1 in the Cinelli chart) of 558 and 579 respectively.

I am massively surprised that the Cinelli T1 measurements are so short for their larger frame sizes.

Based on what I see here that would mean that I would probably have to choose the XL frame to get sufficient reach or choose L but perhaps be ending up with a stem with excessive length (i.e. greater than 13cm).

Has anyone got comparative Cinelli frame geometry fit and size information and recomendations?
    Thanks for any help on this....
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Slane Cycles up in Belfast are selling Cinelli frames now. If you're unsure about the fit, they're one crowd you could talk to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭cantalach

Speedy Spokes/Douglas Cycles in Cork also do Cinelli.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I think 560mm and 580mm top tubes are pretty much normal for those larger sizes.

How does that compare with what you're riding at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Timmyboy

Thanks for the replies folks

@Cantalach, I am close enough to Cork city so could visit there to see what they have and to get a feel for sizing and to maybe do an order with them.

@ Lumen, presently my racing bike is from the late 1980s and it has a 60cm seat tube (centre to top) with a 57cm Top Tube (horizontal like the old days and measured centre to centre). I've been riding with a 13cm stem which I think is too long. But I think that I need to switch to a 12cm stem and maybe have it going up a little, i.e. not horizontal like it is right now.

The reason that I am asking about the geometry of the Cinelli bikes is that I do have a feeling for this XCr bike but when I check their geometry versus other bikes that I am looking at it seems that the Cinelli bikes have the shortest top tube dimensions.

For example the M/L Giant has a top tupe of 57cm length and I think that this or the L would be the fit for me

Similarly the Trek 58cm size frame has a top tube length that comes in at around the 57cm length.

The cinelli Large frame is coming it at only 56cm. I think this is a historical cultural thing with the Cinelli but I am not sure. Appreciate any thoughts on this or personal experiences from Cinelli owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I don't think it's a geometry issue, you just have a very big bike.

FWIW, my race bike has a 130mm stem on a 56 top tube, and it's fine. Can't do no-hands on it though. My non-race bike has a 570mm top tube and a 120mm stem, and I can do no-hands no problem.

• Advertisement
Advertisement