Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seen today on the samuel beckett bridge

Options
  • 07-09-2010 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭

This guy was just hanging around on the bridge, was pretty funny trying to watch the cars get around it, and there must have been thirty people taking photos..

swan.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭emo72

all the audis and beemers. recession my arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Perhaps the swan wanted to make a noise; suicide being the only option, Samuel Beckett bridge an appropriate location to bow out. Breathing exercises completed, all that was left was to wait for the bumper of a BMW to knock it into song. Unfortunately, the motorists were careful to avoid it and thus cast the swan into another miserable day of silence

• Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

novarock wrote: »
    This guy was just hanging around on the bridge, was pretty funny trying to watch the cars get around it, and there must have been thirty people taking photos..

swan.jpg

Brilliant!

If you look over the side of the bridge (into the water) at where your camera is pointing you'll often see a Cormorant at the end of a black pipe.

A number of weeks ago I was with the missus driving up Sherriff Street, only about 200 metres from where you took the photo and there was a Heron just standing by the traffic lights on one foot oblivious to everything around it - fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Thanks for that OP! It's really brightened up my morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

I was just terrified that some tourist would run up to try and move it out of the way, i tried to call the gardaí, but couldnt get through to them in Pearse street. They were probably being inundated with swan related anger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Bit harsh trying to get him arrested novarock. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

emo72 wrote: »
    all the audis and beemers. recession my arse.

Think i see a micra in the background :)

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Bit harsh trying to get him arrested novarock. :mad:

Those swans are killers - dont ever forget it. If he had the chance he would kill you and everyone you love...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Cant beat the Polish free range take away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

was he moving with the traffic or just standing there? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

swan.jpg

Photoshoped?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

Photoshoped?

i can confirm that this is not infact photoshopped....
    novarock burst in the front door yesterday evening proudly brandishing his phone and exclaiming "look what i saw!"...
    taken on a hero...i'm not too technical but i don't think it has a photoshop app on it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

its a bit of a problem with that bridge

the larger birds are colliding with the cable stays

many have been killed, that chap might have collided with the cables?

no bull****, but I did notice a drop of blood on his foot or whatever its called... He was just standing there looking confused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

no bull****, but I did notice a drop of blood on his foot or whatever its called... He was just standing there looking confused.

Yes, he most likely collided with one of the cables...

the Liffey is used as a flight path by most of our larger birds, one would think that that would have been a factor in the design of the Bridge :rolleyes:

There have been avian fatalities there before, providing nothing is broken hopefully he will recover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

'Foot' lol pesky mortal. They are called jives. A swan bounces around on those webbed wonders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I've heard of these supposed bird collisions with that bridge before but as a frequent user i've never seen any evidence of the aftermath nor seen any collisions. I've seen birds flying over it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Interesting ...... the main road bridge connecting Slough and Windsor on the Thames had this issue too.

What they had to do in the end was put up a number of red squares along the bridge because the swans could see them then and avoid the bridge

( Ill try to find a link )

Advertisement