Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

City vs City 2: Waterford vs Galway

• 07-09-2010 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

What city is better And Why? And what do you like About each city?
    Also vote in the poll above..
    City 1: Waterford
    City 2: Galway

What City Is Nicer,Cleaner and Better? 37 votes

Waterford
    0% 0 votes
    Galway
    100% 37 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Not this shìte again....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Galway, because I only really found out 'til now that Waterford was a real city.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

TheZohan wrote: »
    Not this shìte again....

ahh come on its abit of fun lol :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Of course, Dublin is put up against London (which it has absolutely no chance of beating...) and then there's a poll of Galway vs Waterford...

At least putting those cities up against each other is fair.

Galway, definitely Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Galway cos its full of Michael D Higgins and horses and Hookers and RTE "stars" and FF "****" in a tent and spanish eyes and craic and diddly-ey-die and all that ****ing touristy bullsh1te that we in the honest Deise have no time for! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Waterford is a one horse town.

Not too fond of Galway either - for the size of the city, it has a massive urban sprawl & traffic congestion to match it. Full of tourists in the summer & one of the wettest counties in Ireland the rest of the year.

Lovely county though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

mike65 wrote: »
    Galway cos its full of Michael D Higgins

Not true, there's only one of those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Thank f*ck for small mercies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭Kasabian

And he is a Clareman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

RobitTV wrote: »
    ahh come on its abit of fun lol :P

Right so, Waterford is shìte and Galway kicks its ass. (for fun like)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Tomebagel

gwaan da tribesmen

I spoilt my vote as both are equally of no interest to me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

They're both kips. Galway totally overrated, just a couple of pedestrianised streets and noisy trafficy Eyre Square! The county though is gorgeous. And you could hardly call either a city.

I can't wait for the Sligo versus ( pick a sh1tehole ) thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    They're both kips.

kips :rolleyes: define exactly how either are kips

anyway galway wins this easily, best bars/pubs in the country, nice modern threatre, decent shopping options, amazing summer festivals, salthill, hop and a jump from the like of the burren/cliffs of moher, aran islands, connemara, if you have kids lots of stuff for them

galway is the best town/city in the country no doubt in my mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Galway without a doubt, great atmosphere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭lily09

Actually from waterford and have spent a lot of time in galway. I love both places, they are very different and dont think either could be described as a kip. Both have very vibrant festival scenes, spraoi arts festivals etc.
    Both have lovely counties and coastlines as well.
    Dont understand why the need to compare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

rossie1977 wrote: »
    kips :rolleyes: define exactly how either are kips

anyway galway wins this easily, best bars/pubs in the country, nice modern threatre, decent shopping options, amazing summer festivals, salthill, hop and a jump from the like of the burren/cliffs of moher, aran islands, connemara, if you have kids lots of stuff for them

galway is the best town/city in the country no doubt in my mind

the bars/pubs of Galway are massively overrated, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Galway!

I'm biased though.

To be honest, I haven't spent any time in Waterford to judge it but one of my friends just moved down to Waterford to start college and he's being ranting and raving about how much he likes the place!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Galway by a long shot. It has a good sense of character, a very attractive and compact city centre steeped in history and stunning environs, expecially Conneamara and the Aran Islands to its immediate west. Not to say that Waterford doesn't have these, but Galway city has them in spades.

The river Suir is Waterford's greatest asset but there's something about Waterford's centre that is dead and needs revitsalising.

Both are better than Limerick anyhow:D - but then again just about anywhere is better than Limerick, with the possible exception of the hole that is Tipperary town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Im from waterford and living in galway can i vote for both?! has to be said both are small cities but galway definitely makes better use of its streets and layout.
    im delighted that waterford is getting some rejuvination what with a lot of new city centre infrastructure that is planned such as the new gardens in and around city hall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Kasabian wrote: »
    I can't wait for the Sligo versus ( pick a sh1tehole ) thread

Tallaght v Finglas ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Oh Galway town (Oh Galway town),
    Is wonderful (Is wonderful),
    Oh Galway town is wonderful,
    It's full of tits, fanny, and United,
    Oh Galway town is wonderful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,710 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Waterford is a one horse town.

Not too fond of Galway either - for the size of the city, it has a massive urban sprawl & traffic congestion to match it. Full of tourists in the summer & one of the wettest counties in Ireland the rest of the year.

Lovely county though.

I heard the horse died..?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭THall04

Pointless thread.
    Waterford people will vote Waterford.
    Galway (and Kilkenny) people will vote Galway.

Anybody else will go for Galway , because of the better nightlife (good but a bit overrated)
    By comparison Waterford is s**te .
    But it looks as if it's already hit rock bottom ... one near pub/nightclub monopoly has gone bust and it looks like some new blood & fresh thinking is comming to town.Hopefully things will be much closer in a year or so......although who would give a f**k as it is a pointless thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Galway by a long shot. It has a good sense of character, a very attractive and compact city centre steeped in history and stunning environs, expecially Conneamara and the Aran Islands to its immediate west. Not to say that Waterford doesn't have these, but Galway city has them in spades.

The river Suir is Waterford's greatest asset but there's something about Waterford's centre that is dead and needs revitsalising.

Waterford has so much history Galway shall quite literally never catch up!

I agree about the city centre - the moonscape (complete with its own Monolith) is appalling no matter how they try to tart it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Waterford city centre really needs a make over, its just not a nice place to look at. Apart from that they're both pretty similar otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭RockinRolla

The thread title is totally misleading.

I don't see any cities.... :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭klose

kilkenny cirt is not a city, horse****e

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Waterford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

It's a nice idea, but come on, the cities choices have sucked balls so far.

Galway is always going to beat Waterford, as London is always going to beat dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I've never been to Waterford but I can still say Galway beats it.
    It beats everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,580 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

biko wrote: »
    I've never been to Waterford but I can still say Galway beats it.
    It beats everything.

Galway wins this one, but Dublin is better:pac:

Glazers Out!

Galway is incredibally cliquey though, which is a big downside!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

nullzero wrote: »
    Galway wins this one, but Dublin is better:pac:
    Stay on topic Dubs ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Haven't been to waterford but I like Galway.
    Its a very laidback city and has a nice atmosphere...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Asmodean wrote: »
    Galway is incredibally cliquey though, which is a big downside!

Do ya think? I've never noticed that when i was living in the city.
    I live in the country now, and sure i'll always be a blow in,but that's a country thing rather than a Galway thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Know someone from Waterford. Said most of the brightest get the fu*k out after school while the lesser lights work in factories - if they're lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Sack

Nolanger wrote: »
    Know someone from Waterford. Said most of the brightest get the fu*k out after school while the lesser lights work in factories - if they're lucky.

Not entirely wrong. Very little work for professionals in the county and the brain drain from the county is huge.

I'd vote for Galway at the minute but would expect Waterford to fly past it in the next few years.

Do ya think? I've never noticed that when i was living in the city.

Might be only a more recent thing but I find it very hard to make new friends up here. Been quite lucky since the summer because I met a few sound people who I regularly stay in touch with but otherwise its very difficult to wrangle your way into groups of friends.

Funny because Galway and Waterford have always been almost equals in the past. Galway has pipped us to the post in recent years but as the previous poster has said I see a revival of Waterford in the next 5-6 years. We've had a shower of dopes making some very stupid decisions for the City in recent times but there seems to be a trend toward actually listening to what the cities inhabitants want done lately.
    If Waterford can manage to attract in a few more big name stores and get any of its many, many proposed shopping villages off the ground the City will spring to life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Has to be Galway City, very nice there, only passed through County Waterford never the actual city, but beautiful scenery near by though thats about it for Waterford city! Just saw the bridge which is nice...
    Never knew that Kilkenny was a city?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Waterford is full of knackers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

This poll is nonsense. The city with the most boardsies will win.

Yeah true that. i guess boards is never suited to logical conversation. i keep forgetting that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Or visitors.
    anyways, who cares who wins, i'm from Galway,we love visiting Waterford or any other area for a change......:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

galwayrush wrote: »
    Or visitors.
    anyways, who cares who wins, i'm from Galway,we love visiting Waterford or any other area for a change......:cool:
    Are you saying Galway is so awful that it's people are just dieing to go to any old ****hole just so they don't have to be in Galway one more miserable day?

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

;)
    OisinT wrote: »
    Are you saying Galway is so awful that it's people are just dieing to go to any old ****hole just so they don't have to be in Galway one more miserable day?

:P

Not exactly, it's just too many people here know me, can't ****ing scratch here;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

THall04 wrote: »
    Pointless thread.
    Waterford people will vote Waterford.
    Galway (and Kilkenny) people will vote Galway.

lol no, the best city will win, i ain't from galway but i know that galway is better than sligo, athlone, belfast, cork, dublin or waterford

international websites confirm this, in 2008 galway city was voted 42nd best town/city to visit on planet earth when tripadvisor questioned thousands of travellers, no dublin, no cork, no belfast and no waterford in the running, sorry guys

having said that waterford is a nice town, it doesn't have near the buzz or energy that galway does but its a nice spot for a weekend. it would be nice if the 20 or so people who voted waterford actually gave a reason though.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

galway
    was in waterford last year for a stag weekend i thought it was dead would have been better off staying at home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Yep.......... because that theory bore out on the Dublin vs. London poll.........

• Advertisement
Advertisement