Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

xbox confusion

• 07-09-2010 8:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭

My son is looking for an xbox off santa and I don't know what one to get.Has anyone any advice for me?:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Moving this to the xbox forum. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭rachaelf750

Cheers Mr. E:)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

My son is looking for an xbox off santa and I don't know what one to get.Has anyone any advice for me?:D

This one should do, http://www.toys.ie/XBOX-360-250GB-CONSOLE-!H10637-prod.aspx?qwSessionID=4b7b9f4c-0e89-44d4-acb8-c8de01cd74d5, or the old type, http://www.toys.ie/X360-ELITE-CONSOLE-!G11722-prod.aspx?qwSessionID=4b7b9f4c-0e89-44d4-acb8-c8de01cd74d5

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭hobbit stomper

Edit, please ignore this post, I was wrong :)

Microsoft is about to release it's latest addition to the XBox called Kinect, it's due in November. Unfortunately the older Xbox are not compatible with Kinect.
    A new Xbox which supports it has just been released.

So make sure you buy the one which supports Kinect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

Microsoft is about to release it's latest addition to the XBox called Kinect, it's due in November. Unfortunately the older Xbox are not compatible with Kinect.

That's not true, all Xbox 360 consoles will be compatible with Kinect. Sure there will be new console bundles that will include the Kinect camera, but you can also buy the Kinect camera separately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

This is not true.

The new xboxs have an aux power port so that Kinect can be powered through the console.

The older xboxs will be able to use it but you will need to use another plug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

What age is he? If he's like 7 or 8 you'll be ok with the cheaper 4GB version that was just released if he's 14 or higher you'd definitely be looking at the 250GB version. Just don't let them play any shooters with their headsets on, can't stand kids on them :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭hobbit stomper

Oh cool, didn't know that. I guess all the stores (Game, HMW) confuse people on purpose, saying "Kinect ready" & "Compatible with Kinect" on the new Xbox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

There are a few types of xbox 360 but they're all pretty much the same in that they'll play games and can go on xbox live.

600px-Xbox_360_Models.png
    These versions are discontinued now. They are no longer being made but as shops will have stock from a while ago they are being sold, most at a reduced price compared to the new versions. If choosing a model from this group then try to get one with a manufacturing date of 2009 or later, this will ensure you get the best possible version of these older revisions. Note that these ones do not come with a Wireless Network Apadter built-in, so if you intend on hooking it up to the internet via your wireless router you will have to buy an adapter separately.

There are several sizes of hard drives available, 20GB, 60GB, 120GB and 250GB. As your son is only 7 I would suggest the 120GB. He probably won't be downloading full games from xbox live, or movies, or installing too many games which is when you'll need the 250GB hard drive. I managed with a 20GB hard drive for 3 years before going for an upgrade when I got broadband and did all of the above.

If you want you could buy him the Arcade version which doesn't have a hard drive, and then buy one later should you require one.

545px-Xbox_360_S.png

This is the new model, the Slim! It's smaller and quieter than the older models but it more expensive. There are two models, one has a 250GB hard drive and is glossy black like the above picture, the other is a 4GB model (with the option of buying a separate 250GB hard drive should it be required) and is matte black (not shiny) but still has the same shape as above. Both of these models have a built-in Wireless Network Adapter.

At the end of the day the cost of the console (with or without games) is your main factor. All of the consoles will do the same thing - play games, use xbox live, play DVDs, play the new wii-like motion games [Xbox Kinect] etc.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Another point to note if your son will be playing online, the new models have wi-fi built in, which makes wireless play real easy, whereas the older model require an connector to allow wireless online play.

Another cost to be factored in, about €50ish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Kinky Slinky

Get the new model , the fan in the old model is very loud and you have to turn up the volume of the TV to compensate which can be annoying, the new model is a lot smaller and uses less electricity and it has the built in wifi which is an added bonus when playing online. Your son probably doesn't need the 250 HD and I think you can get one with a 4GB one which would be sufficient for general gaming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

Get him the 250gb version, it's for Xmas.

Fill the hard drive with trial arcade games, his lil mind would be blown thinking he has well over 100 games on the hard drive.

Do read the manual about parental controls though, not many do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Trade in your son for a new Xbox Slim 250GB.

Or look at the thread in Bargain Alerts. Argos were falsely advertising a 4GB for €140 on their website

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

That 4GB is quite likely to fill up very quickly. I'd strongly suggest forking out the extra for the 250.

Healium wrote: »
    Trade in your son for a new Xbox Slim 250GB.
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Kinky Slinky

10x0908iub235xbnox.jpg

This package was just announced today Xbox 360 250GB + Kinect for £300 so i'd say Ireland will get a similar priced package

WOW kinky slinky that sounds like a really good offer:)cheers everone for your replies:p

Hi,KS just wondering where you came across that offer??cheers:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,219 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

It was only announced today. Kinect isn't out yet, so the bundle won't be in shops until on/after November 10th.

Advertisement