Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help buying a pc

• 07-09-2010 8:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I want to buy a new small desktop computer

I'm in 4th year now and I'm doing Design and Communication Graphics(D&CG) So ill need it to be able to run the 2009-2010 edition of Solid Works

I have been looking at the HP Pavilion Slimline s5535uk,
    http://h40059.www4.hp.com/uk/homedesktops/product.php?id=WX187EA&experience=direct

I dont need a screen, ill have it connected to a sony Bravia 20" tv

It looks good and i think its the one i'll buy but, will it be able to run solid works ok?

Someone told me that solid works will only work with windows 7 professional is this true?

Is this a good desktop pc to get?

And is it a good or bad time to buy one?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

I've never used SolidWorks before, so I'm making assumptions based on the SolidWorks System Requirements page on their website.

First of all, the system specification sheet (PDF) for that HP Pavilion only comes with an integrated Intel HD Graphics card. To run something like SolidWorks, I'd recommend a computer with a good ATI/AMD or nVidia graphics card.

I also cannot tell whether that HP Pavilion actually has a port for connecting to a TV screen: the only display port it mentions is a VGA port. Based on those two things I wouldn't go with that PC if I were you.
    Someone told me that solid works will only work with windows 7 professional is this true?

According to the System Requirements page: yes, it only supports Windows 7 Professional, Ultimate and Enterprise only. The HP Pavilion only comes with Windows 7 Home Premium.

Also, SolidWorks 2008 and 2009 aren't supported on Windows 7 at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭bluestripe93

I've never used SolidWorks before, so I'm making assumptions based on the SolidWorks System Requirements page on their website.

First of all, the system specification sheet (PDF) for that HP Pavilion only comes with an integrated Intel HD Graphics card. To run something like SolidWorks, I'd recommend a computer with a good ATI/AMD or nVidia graphics card.

I also cannot tell whether that HP Pavilion actually has a port for connecting to a TV screen: the only display port it mentions is a VGA port. Based on those two things I wouldn't go with that PC if I were you.

According to the System Requirements page: yes, it only supports Windows 7 Professional, Ultimate and Enterprise only. The HP Pavilion only comes with Windows 7 Home Premium.

Also, SolidWorks 2008 and 2009 aren't supported on Windows 7 at all.

Thanks for your help

Would it still run on the graphics card that comes with it just better with a diferent one or would it not run at all with the graphics card that comes with it?
    I also cannot tell whether that HP Pavilion actually has a port for connecting to a TV screen: the only display port it mentions is a VGA port.

That wont be a problem my TV has a VGA port,

What Graphics card would you recommend?

Is they another pc like this you would recommend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

There's a CAD forum with people who might know more about what's best for Solidworks. From what I remember, the graphics card requirement is dictated more by the type and complexity of designs that you work on. For simple designs, the benefit of a graphics card is not going to be noticeable but for more complex designs it makes a huge difference.

Advertisement