Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

whats gonna happen after Bill, Johnny and Eamonn..

• 07-09-2010 8:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

retire?

We've spent the last however long with these guys who are basically grumpy old men.

Who will replace them?

Will it go like the bbc/sky sports where everyone loves everything and there is no criticism? Is that better or worse?

Its why i watch the commentary on rte tbh.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Souness, Ozzie and Keano FTW!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭Burkatron

CorkMan wrote: »

The Apres match versions & bring in Didi, it's the only way to follow them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Podge, Rodge and their aul lad Marty Morrissey FTW.

Rod, Jane and Freddie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

CorkMan wrote: »

I hope you mean Ozzie Osbourne! At least you can understand him SOME of the time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Joe Duffy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I've grown up watching the Irish team with these lads on the panel. I'm gonna miss them

I love them!

And Bill is the perfect troll! Even tonight, he accused the lads of saying Zinedine Kilbane was past it, and was calling then Negative against XI mannequins!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

You gotta take each analyst on their merits, there Bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Darragh Moloney, joined by Ronnie, Ray and Trevor Steven.

:eek:
    :mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

The MNS posse?

Once it's not f'kin Peter Collins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭briany

I agree there is a dearth of punditry talent coming through in this country because the kids aren't learning their punditry on the street like they used to. Or the pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Why is it that in most pubs they always have the Sky sports coverage for the matches? The RTE coverage is in a totally different league to any other, I don't care what anyone says. Bill, Eamon, Johnny, Liam and B and C panel for EVER!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

RTE are a class above in their studio team. Their match commentators.. not so much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

#15 wrote: »
    Darragh Moloney, joined by Ronnie, Ray and Trevor Steven.

:eek:
    :mad::mad:

Houghton is usually commentating for Sky so thankfully he wont be there for internationals.

My guess is Darragh Moloney, Kenny Cunningham, Trevor Steven and probably Ronnie Whelan.

RTE are a class above in their studio team. Their match commentators.. not so much

Trevor%20Walsh%204676.jpg00022d0610dr.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,567 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Well at least George Hamilton can pronunce Irish players names.

Drives me mad having an English man commentating on an Ireland match on Sky, especially when Keith Faw-hee and Andy Kee-oh are playing!

murpho999 wrote: »
    Well at least George Hamilton can pronunce Irish players names.

Drive's me mad having an English man commentating on an Ireland match on Sky, especially when Keith Faw-hee and Andy Kee-oh are playing!

This may be true, but he goes to the other extreme and he pronounces everything and anything in stupid accents!

You don't always have to bloody pronounce things in the accent of their native language George you gimp!

Why is it that in most pubs they always have the Sky sports coverage for the matches? The RTE coverage is in a totally different league to any other, I don't care what anyone says. Bill, Eamon, Johnny, Liam and B and C panel for EVER!

Do you think they ease off though when Ireland play so not to upset anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

monkey9 wrote: »
    I've grown up watching the Irish team with these lads on the panel. I'm gonna miss them

Me too, they can't retire!!! My 1st memory of Irelands games in euro 88 and Bill, Eamo & Giles were there....always have been since.

They are like Giggs at Utd, i hate Utd..but Giggs has since 91 always been there, when he retires it will be weird and very sad for me too. Hard to imagine a Utd side without Giigs starting or at least on bench to call on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Stevecw wrote: »
    Me too, they can't retire!!! My 1st memory of Irelands games in euro 88 and Bill, Eamo & Giles were there....always have been since.

They are like Giggs at Utd, i hate Utd..but Giggs has since 91 always been there, when he retires it will be weird and very sad for me too. Hard to imagine a Utd side without Giigs starting or at least on bench to call on.

when eamo bill and giles go, its the end of days....

right there bill?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

They've been the presenters for as long as I've watched soccer - It'll just not be the same..

as long as there replacements are the same as them and aren't afraid to be critical rather than be like Alan Shearer and co on the Beeb...

I love watching the punditry because it's usually more entertaining than the matches especially when Ireland are involved take tonight for example

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Retire? They'll still be here in 50 years...

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    They've been the presenters for as long as I've watched soccer - It'll just not be the same..

as long as there replacements are the same as them and aren't afraid to be critical rather than be like Alan Shearer and co on the Beeb...

I love watching the punditry because it's usually more entertaining than the matches especially when Ireland are involved take tonight for example

What were they like at half time?

They were not very critical at full time, don't get me wrong three points is three points, but thought they would have gone for its only Andora and 3-1 is not really that impressive.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Con Murphy, Damien Richardson and Michael O'Neill...

The Model Panel...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Whatever about Giles, I think Dunphy will continue for a few years yet. He's often an extremely impressive waffler, sometimes a ridiculously unimpressive waffler and sometimes even makes sense.

But whatever happens and whoever takes over, please please RTE don't have Ronnie Whelan have anything to do with it. I can't bear him and I'd even rather listen to Shearer or Townsend.

Ronnie Whelan will have loads to do with it won't he? :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Kenny Cunningham and his perennially hovering eyebrows are the most likely heir to Eamo's throne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

after there gone i stop watching rte for the football

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

The problem is OP, that the pundits nowadays have got personal stereos and higher level education.

• Advertisement

seadnamac wrote: »
    The problem is OP, that the pundits nowadays have got personal stereos and higher level education.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

As long as Ronnie "Flacid" Whelan aint there im in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

I reckon they'll go until the next World Cup Finals at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

OPENROAD wrote: »
    What were they like at half time?

They were not very critical at full time, don't get me wrong three points is three points, but thought they would have gone for its only Andora and 3-1 is not really that impressive.

ok they weren't great tonight but it was more interesting listening to them than watching large chucks of that match but anyways

but it was definitely better than having to listen to Alan Shearer or the ITV pundits any day - And they're always liable to come out with some great stuff compared to the punditry offered on most other stations which is comparable to the observations of my grandmother who could tell you which team is playing better and that it was a sloppy finish or a nice shot on goal....

there's just that something you have to love about them I find even if sometimes they might go on and on and on and on about one thing - I'd still have them over pretty much anyone else any day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Kenny Cunningham and his perennially hovering eyebrows are the most likely heir to Eamo's throne.

Possibly so Bill, but then again possibly he won't.

Kenny 'arse firmly on the fence' Cunningham.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Well we just don't know what new pundits will show up. Do we Bill ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Bill will be replaced by Darragh Maloney.

Brady will be around for a while I reckon.

Giles and Dunphy will be replaced by Ronnie Whelan and Graeme Souness.

Although it wouldn't be the same, a panel of Darragh, Brady, Souness and Whelan would be pretty entertaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Give me Con Murphy over Darragh Maloney any day IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

I hope they're all there still when they're 90. :pac:

Darragh Moloney & Kenny would put you to sleep in comparison

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

savour these days lads.

because once these guys go, everything else will seem so so bland, lifeless and boring..

they are the ultimate in pre-match, half time and post-match entertainment. they stoke up controversy, they give their opinions straight from the hip, cause the viewer to talk about them, and in doing so, about the match.

we all have a moan about them, but by God, are we lucky to have them.

they also actually help me not take the game too seriously, which is a good thing.

they should have gold statues erected in their honour somewhere around RTE studios.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

Billo's contract ends on Dec 2011, there was an article on it in the Sunday Times at the start of the WC, so he will probably last till the following Euro finals and then he's gone, baby.

Giles said he was a going with Bill, while Dunphy didn't commit, but said he'd jumped the fence, or some guff like that anyway :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

SlickRic wrote: »
    savour these days lads.

because once these guys go, everything else will seem so so bland, lifeless and boring..

they are the ultimate in pre-match, half time and post-match entertainment. they stoke up controversy, they give their opinions straight from the hip, cause the pundit to talk about them, and in doing so, about the match.

we all have a moan about them, but by God, are we lucky to have them.

they also actually help me not take the game too seriously, which is a good thing.

they should have gold statues erected in their honour somewhere around RTE studios.

I remember been in a bar in Lanzarote during a World Cup campaign and England were playing .
    A group of English men (mid 40's -50's) insisted that the barman switch the channel over from ITV to RTE .
    I got chatting to the lads later on and asked why they insisted on RTE ?
    They said the love the honesty and directness of Giles & Dunphy who call a spade a spade .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

I cant understand how this theory has gained a foothold.

Listen to Giles trying to get an incident such as an offside decision for example replayed from a different angle or for a second time during his analysis - more often then not you have Bill asking some unseen technician "can we have that again? can we? no? can we not? sorry john" followed by giles having to say something begining with "well, if we could have seen it again from the other angle it was quite obvious that ............."

That sort of thing doesnt happen on sky or the bbc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

JIMBO FTW!!!

The only thing that could assuage the grief of losing Billo... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

Imhof Tank wrote: »

Listen to Giles trying to get an incident such as an offside decision for example replayed from a different angle or for a second time during his analysis - more often then not you have Bill asking some unseen technician "can we have that again? can we? no? can we not? sorry john" followed by giles having to say something begining with "well, if we could have seen it again from the other angle it was quite obvious that ............."

No it doesn't, but who cares? Substance over style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Imhof Tank wrote: »

Because on Sky or BBC a panellist wouldnt ask to see someting a second time. They dont allow their panellists to vent their own opinions or bring up issues that have not been decided and agreed with the production team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

ziggy wrote: »

true.

but in a world where i can get analysis from hundreds of different places, that panel are worth their weight in gold.

once you throw Souness, Didi Hamann, or potentially Sadlier into the mix, IMO, the panel could become nigh-on perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

seadnamac wrote: »
    No it doesn't, but who cares? Substance over style.

Being able to operate the equipment properly isnt a matter of style. The graphics etc are aids to analysis if used correctly, and if they arent used correctly the substance of the analysis suffers.

The panel is ok, but the RTE production standards as a whole are a joke compared to the uk channels. Self respecting transition year media students could do better with the action replays.

As to the view that bbc etc pundits never criticise - what about Hansen on Walcot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Black Magician

Future panel for RTE Roy keane, Mick McCarthy and whats his face eh Ronald McDonald. I cant stand Dunphy or Bill but Giles has such a monotonous droning voice that I cant help watching him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement