Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

whats gonna happen after Bill, Johnny and Eamonn..

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Sktchr

I really enjoyed when the panel included Didi for a few of the WC games, and the Argentinian Ozzie (sp?). I wonder could they get one of them back for a more regular spot on the panel when the lads retire?

Daragh Moloney is fine to listen to too...but Bill is just class...he's so funny in his manner of not trying to be funny :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I think the Apres Match Lads highlight the difference between RTE and the British commentary very well

It will be hard for RTE to replicate the chemistry the lads have.

I wouldnt watch Cunningham or Houghton for too long, they annoy me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭johnnyjb

murpho999 wrote: »
    Well at least George Hamilton can pronunce Irish players names.

Drives me mad having an English man commentating on an Ireland match on Sky, especially when Keith Faw-hee and Andy Kee-oh are playing!

You took the words from my mouth, thought i was the only one who noticed that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

I wouldn't mind seeing Keith O'Neill given a chance. He was a pundit for the confederations cup a few years ago and did a pretty good job. Likeable and he did his homework before hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

I think you could very well see Mick McCarthy doing analysis on RTE when Dunphy and Giles call it a day. Depending on whether he is still at Wolves by then.

Sadlier is taking the same route as Dunphy when ya think about it, Ex Milwall, footy player turned Journalist, well spoken albeit not as brazen. Sadlier had the makings of a good pundit and its not always the lads who played at the top level who make the best pundits.

Hamann was excellent, extremely insightful and will no doubt bring some craic too.

Darragh Maloney in Bills seat, with Mick McCarthy Richie Sadlier, Didi Hamann and possibly Souness. Thats what i'd like to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Underground

Top notch viewing right there lads,won't ever forget that :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'd like it to be Maloney,Brady,Souness and then Irwin,Hamann or Sadlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

While I agree the lads are funny, most people will love Dunphy and co if they are having a go as in this case, El Tel or having a go at the England team, but as soon as they have a go at utd or Liverpool on CL nights,then they are clueless.

Case in point when Dunphy had a go at the Irish team in Traps early stages, people on boards and in general were outraged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭briany

Maybe we could have the panel on for effectively forever if cryongenic/stasis/head in a jar technology makes significant breakthroughs in the next few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Well i read, on the back of a packet of softmints, that all of these lads will outlive the sport, and if you think otherwise, you've jumped over the fence baby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

if who ever comes in isn't afraid to do this then I'll accept them:D:D

Seeing Gramham Souness there too - I quite like him - honest in his opinions too and is very knowledgeable too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Sktchr

I just Youtubed Dunphy and came across some of his classics! :pac: and a lot of English left comments saying how much they want a guy like him commentating on British coverage and how lucky we are to have him to listen to....on' Dunphy Boy!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Richard Sadlier, Souness and Trevor Stevens would be an okay mix of types.

Or Barry Glendenning and Paul Doyle from the Guardian with James ACJimbo Richardson hosting :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,525 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

I'd say we'll eventually see one or more of the Off the Ball lads on that panel, Ken Early being the most obvious name.
    It'll be a sad day when the current lads are finished.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I swear if the OTB get on that panel I'll cry.

°°°°°

mike65 wrote: »

It's gonna happen eventually.:eek:

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

The lads may straight talk, but a lot of what they say is complete nonsense... They really don't have a clue about any team outside of the major clubs in England. When it comes to Champions League games they are clueless...

They may be entertaining and straight talking, but i would really prefer punditry that is factual, well researched and balanced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

i would really prefer punditry that is factual, well researched and balanced.

That doesn't exist on any channel though.

Bland platitudes are the order of the day in the English speaking world, as well as a lack of any useful insight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

Rte should just steal the off the ball team. McDevitt and Early would be good.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »

Why? Best show on Radio. Aside from the humour, they have great interviews with a whole host of interesting sports people. I doubt any fan of sports could dislike OTB.

°°°°°

The lads may straight talk, but a lot of what they say is complete nonsense... They really don't have a clue about any team outside of the major clubs in England. When it comes to Champions League games they are clueless...

They may be entertaining and straight talking, but i would really prefer punditry that is factual, well researched and balanced.

To be fair most pundits are like that.

Glazers Out!

Why? Best show on Radio. Aside from the humour, they have great interviews with a whole host of interesting sports people. I doubt any fan of sports could dislike OTB.
    I like off the ball but ken just isnt suitable for tv.He was on italksport on setanta the other week and it was cringeworthy stuff.

Thats idealistic, in practice it'd be boring and monotonous.

I like off the ball but ken just isnt suitable for tv.He was on italksport on setanta the other week and it was cringeworthy stuff.

I think he'd become much more comfortable in time.

McDevitt is excellent anchoring the panel in fairness. Newstalk will probably be tits up fairly soon anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

OPENROAD wrote: »
    While I agree the lads are funny, most people will love Dunphy and co if they are having a go as in this case, El Tel or having a go at the England team, but as soon as they have a go at utd or Liverpool on CL nights,then they are clueless.

Case in point when Dunphy had a go at the Irish team in Traps early stages, people on boards and in general were outraged.

I think that highlights the problems with people watching analysis on RTE. The main panel are always honest and other than Dunphy, are always consistent in their opinions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

Ed, Edd and Eddie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Ah you have got to love Dunphy been controversal for the sake of been controversal .

Used to annoy me but now I think he does be taking the piss most of the time .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Clearly not to everyone.

Oddly enough, some people who watch football might want to learn more about the game from people who've been involved at a much higher level.

Very few pundits and journalists give a new insight these days but that doesn't mean it's what everyone wants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

No it wouldn't, Jonathan Wilson would do a good job, even the lad from zonalmarking could probably offer well-balanced and informative analysis.

Maybe they wouldn't be great on TV, but most ex-footballers aren't either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

As long as it's not Pat Dolan.....:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

Once Kenny Cunningham isn't involved I won't mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

As long as it's not Pat Dolan.....:(

He's a legend, lives in the hotel across from my house...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Guillem Balague should start to come in when Giles is on the way out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Mr Alan, Boggles and SOTS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

ziggy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Where else would you live if you were big as a house? :pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

CorkMan wrote: »
    Guillem Balague should start to come in when Giles is on the way out.

No he shouldn't, bills**tter of the highest order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Dempsey wrote: »
    Where else would you live if you were big as a house? :pac:

You wanna see the portions he orders, and he mills them every time. He lashed into spuds and steak last time I saw him. Anyways, he wouldn't strike you as morbidly obese or anything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

It's just the laugh and entertainment they provide. You have a match as the main course and that panel are the dessert.

Things like Dunphy going on a rant and saying to Souness 'let me finish, Graham. Let me finish'. And Souness looking at him saying 'i didn't say anything Eamon! :confused:'

Or this classic below. I just love wating RTE during the major tournaments.

Advertisement