Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home network problem

Options
  • 07-09-2010 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

Apologies if this is not the correct forum.
    Mods please free free to move this thread to the appropiate forum.
    I have two tower PCs one for my wife and myself (PC 1) and one for the kids (PC 2).
    Both are connected to a Netopia router via RJ45 cables.
    I have tried to set up a home network through the router so PC1 can use the printer connected to PC 2.
    AKAIK I have enabled sharing on both the C and D drives in each PC.
    I can see all of the drives on PC 1 from PC 2.
    On PC 1, when I click on Start, My Network Places and View Workgroup Computers, I can see PC 2, but when I click on the icon for PC 2 I get an error message which reads "\\Home-pc2 is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer".
    I don't understand this error message, so I don't know what to do next.
    Any help or suggestions will be gratefully accepted.

Fazer6

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 CabinteelyGuy

Might be a lil bit better suited in the Operating System \ Windows forum next time :) more viewers in the above.

I would recommend looking into upgrading to windows 7 at some stage if I was you and use the built in Homegroup features.
    Anyways give the below a bash, I remember doing this on my XP systems.

Start / Run
    Type gpedit.msc

under computer configuration go into
    Windows settings \ security settings \ local policies \ user rights assignments

Right click on " Access this computer from the network"
    select properties

Add in " Administrators | Everyone | users |
    and remove " Guests" if you see it.
    reboot and try again

Edit: do this on the kids system.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Fazer6

Thanks CabinteelyGuy.

That did the trick, I completly forgot to say the both pcs are running Win XP pro.

Regards.

Fazer 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 CabinteelyGuy

Yup I know they are I can tell by the Icons and the original XP theme :)
    Glad you got it sorted.

Advertisement