Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unimpressed by Dublin Bikes

• 07-09-2010 9:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭

Anyone else think dublin bikes are utter crap? First spin today and not impressed.

I have a nice carbon bike and have been riding road bikes for the last 4 years so I did of course expect the handling to feel a little agricultural.

However, I didn't realise they would weigh more than a small car, wobble like jelly, handle like a ship steering into port and having f*ck all stopping power (low speed and dry). Unable to adopt anything like a safe, assertive riding style I felt like a sitting helmetless duck. Am I just spoilt?

I've been on countless supermarket bike shaped objects with virtually flat tyres yet all were a nicer ride.

I think the initiative is great in principle and I know they need to be built with durability in mind but I don't see why they can't be designed for practical, safe cycling rather than a novelty jaunt through town on a tonne of bricks.

At least I now know why everyone I see on them is an apparently poor cyclist.

I'll still use them (at my peril) but I just wish they had more than durabilty (forever?), visibility and keeping the rider clean as design criteria.

If someone really did do the WW200 on one he or she is my new hero.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

The feckin yokes have no power meters either :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭High Nellie

Well, take a look at it and what do you expect. They rode the way I expected and my only gripe are the brakes - so I have to adjust riding style accordingly. Remember, they are meant for journeys of around 1k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭The_Joker.

chakattack wrote: »
    Anyone else think dublin bikes are utter crap? First spin today and not impressed.

I have a nice carbon bike and have been riding road bikes for the last 4 years so I did of course expect the handling to feel a little agricultural.

However, I didn't realise they would weigh more than a small car, wobble like jelly, handle like a ship steering into port and having f*ck all stopping power (low speed and dry). Unable to adopt anything like a safe, assertive riding style I felt like a sitting helmetless duck. Am I just spoilt?

I've been on countless supermarket bike shaped objects with virtually flat tyres yet all were a nicer ride.

I think the initiative is great in principle and I know they need to be built with durability in mind but I don't see why they can't be designed for practical, safe cycling rather than a novelty jaunt through town on a tonne of bricks.

I'll still use them (at my peril) but I just wish they had more than durabilty (forever?), visibility and keeping the rider clean as design criteria.

You need a girlfriend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Am I just spoilt?

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I think they are great.

Practical: Hub gearing, integrated lights, front basket, loads of stations so you don't need to worry about locking it anywhere, easy to get around town on.

Safety: Similar to the above.

Weight: Not sure why this is an issue for a short term runabout. Sure it's not as nimble or easy to accelerate as my city bike, but I don't need to worry about it being stolen, roll up my jeans, get super hot and sweaty, put on SPD shoes or worry about lighting.

Is there a better way to get from one pub to the next?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Raam wrote: »
    The feckin yokes have no power meters either :mad:

Clinchers too.

Tut tut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

tunney wrote: »
    Clinchers too.

Tut tut

On the other hand, a fair bit stiffer than a Planet X.

I'll get my coat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭sexpot

Shut Up. They serve their purpose brilliantly. Best thing to happen to the city in ages. Get off your high horse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

I think you're missing my point lads. Sure it's a good addition to the city and they're built for short distances and practicality over speed but why can't or shouldn't or didn't they have some semblance of rideability included in the design? I wasn't expecteding miracles but it's hard not to be a pedestrian on a bike on one.

It would be very easy to design a hub geared, mudguarded, chain guarded, well lit, durable and lockable bike that would actually be enjoyable and safer to ride.

Then I could be doubly spoilt......

Thanks for your input Joker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Very handy. But woeful bikes. The brakes are brutal on them. That said they work perfectly for what they, are, left out in all weather etc.

Getting matching kit is a bit OTT though....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

BostonB wrote: »
    But woeful bikes

Intentional. Inexperience cyclists get spooked easily and slamming on the brakes in traffic is never a good plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

Have there been any reports published on the number of accidents involving the DBikes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

slamming on the brakes in traffic is never a good plan.

I hope you're not serious and are just speculating?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭zil

I have to say I agree on the handling aspect of them. The wobble you can get going on them is insane.

Also is it just me or are the seats designed to reduce the fertility of irish males? The only way I can seem to sit on them without sliding off puts all the weight in the exact wrong area.

Despite all that I still grab them if I'm heading a half decent distance.

I hope you're not serious and are just speculating?

I dont know for fact but I'd put money on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I dont know for fact but I'd put money on it.

I'd put money that low maintenance was the priority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭High Nellie

Ya know, in the UK, they have these nocturne events - racing around the streets at night etc - with some novely events like foldables and that. I think it would be great crack to have races on those yokes - that would bring out the fans!

Ya know, in the UK, they have these nocturne events - racing around the streets at night etc - with some novely events like foldables and that. I think it would be great crack to have races on those yokes - that would bring out the fans!

Have to be back by 12.30 but yeah, we should organise something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Have to be back by 12.30 but yeah, we should organise something.

You can drop a bike back anytime. You can only take one out until 12:30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

Plenty of people find them rideable. Just because they handle differently to your road bike doesn't mean they aren't rideable.

I'm sure lots of people in the target demographic for the DBs would find your road bike difficult to ride.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭bikenut

I think these bikes are intentionally designed to weigh a ton and handle poorly as an anti-theft device. The fact there's been so few go missing in a city with such a bike theft problem as Dublin is remarkable - who would want to own one of these.

This morning, the machine in the IFSC was down and all the bike slots were take so I just gave my bike to one of the guys waiting for the machine to come back online - safe in the knowledge he wasn't going to run off with it (which he didn't - just checked online).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I think they're fantastic.

Being a "pedestrian on a bike" is probably the point - they're not aimed at someone who's used to racing-whippet handling. They're slow and comfortable.

I've had no issues with the weight, maybe you need to work on your leg strength. :p

Yes, you're spoiled by a good bike, but you should be able to adjust your riding style to cater for the handling & stopping characteristics of a DB if you're good enough to deserve that good bike.

IMHO etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭markcroninbsc

ye should use them for the next boards hill tt. is there any station at the top of a hill? cause i dont fancy cycling them things back down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I've had no difficulties with the handling. Sure, the first few times they're a little weird, but so too is it weird switching from road bike to MTB. You can even go aero on them - move your hands to the middle of the "handlebar", it steers perfectly fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 pels

For €10 per year I think the service and quality is outstanding!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I think they're great and a perfect design for their purpose. The weight doesn't matter a damn - they're on wheels, and the city is flat. We just need more of them.
    bikenut wrote:
    This morning, the machine in the IFSC was down and all the bike slots were take so I just gave my bike to one of the guys waiting for the machine to come back online - safe in the knowledge he wasn't going to run off with it (which he didn't - just checked online).

He might not have run off with it, but he could've kept it out for the rest of the day and run up a fair bill on your credit card - thats what I would've done :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

I have one of these stalls outside my apartment, I am intending on getting a card today and giving them a quick bash, purely in the interest if comparing it to the DBs.

http://www.citybikes.se/en/Bikes--helmets-/

(ignore the fact that it is the "helmets" page, it is the only page with a picture of the bike on it.)

But, just from looking at them, I can see that these are some of the differences:

Cons:

-Twice the price (200 - 250 kr, which is about 20 - 25 euro)
    -The bikes go into Hibernation from 31st of October to 1st of April
    -So, it's really more than twice the price, as you are paying for 7 months instead of twelve.
    -They look ridiculous. It doesn't come out in the picture, but that front wheel is tiny
    -You need to cycle them on the wrong side of the road. I realise that this comes as second nature to a lot of DB riders, but I still don't approve.

Pros:

-You get them for 3 hours with no charge
    -There are loads of stalls around the place
    -They probably do not weigh as much as a small moon.
    -It's Sweden. This is a benefit in and of itself (by which, of course, I mean that there are no Dublin Bus drivers here ;) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

was in london last weekend, If you think ours are big cumbersome looking things you should go over there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Only gripe would be the fact that they are practically Invisible to Taxi drivers and pedestrian's!

(oh and the brakes are rubbish!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭jeffwode

I love 'em. Lets me take the train into town because I'll have transport when I get there. best thing to happen in the city for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Piercemeear

I noticed Friday that they were installing more docks in the station outside the Concert Hall. Half the number again. Is this part of a second roll-out or just a reaction to how popular that stop is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,347 ✭✭✭markpb

I noticed Friday that they were installing more docks in the station outside the Concert Hall. Half the number again. Is this part of a second roll-out or just a reaction to how popular that stop is?

Several stops are being upgraded and IIRC extra bikes are being ordered too.

Edit: It was mentioned in the press a long time ago (Irish Times) and DCC also put out their own press release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

poochiem wrote: »
    Have there been any reports published on the number of accidents involving the DBikes?
    I read in the Irish Times just before the millionth journey was made that there had been no serious injuries incurred so far.

As for the bikes themselves, I think they're great. I alternate between them, a touring bike and a Brompton. I quite enjoy the way they're all a bit different. Very twitchy steering on the DBs, but it's perfectly acceptable. It probably took me longer to get used to not being able to rest the top tube against my leg while stopped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Only gripe would be the fact that they are practically Invisible to Taxi drivers and pedestrian's!

(oh and the brakes are rubbish!)
    I find them fairly conspicuous. Maybe that's because I like to see them circulating and maybe subconciously keep an eye out for them, but that front light in particular is quite eye-catching, even during daylight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

sexpot wrote: »
    Shut Up. They serve their purpose brilliantly. Best thing to happen to the city in ages. Get off your high horse!

Minor infraction given for not being particularly polite. Attack the post, not the poster.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I read in the Irish Times just before the millionth journey was made that there had been no serious injuries incurred so far.

Wasn't that cyclist who died on the South Quays earlier this year on a Dublin Bike or am I mistaken in that?

I would most definitely fall into the 'pedestrian on a bike' category but I quite like the Dublin Bikes. I'm quite (some would say overly) cautious on them and don't really take them into heavy traffic but I find the handling/steering fine and as for the weight - it's fine for the short journeys that I use them for. I'd say I'd feel it over a long trek though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Wasn't that cyclist who died on the South Quays earlier this year on a Dublin Bike or am I mistaken in that?

You're mistaken.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/rushhour-horror-after-cyclist-falls-under-lorry-1887258.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

They handle fine, you can track stand on them. Also you can grab the basket on the front to get more aero.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Milan Cobian

The DB scheme is undoubtedly the best public amenity scheme added to the city in a long long time. I find the bikes fine too and very stable, you need to be almost stopped before it even thinks about leaning over. The brakes are fine as well, perhaps if you find them poor, your speed is not appropriate to a busy city centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

The brakes are fine as well, perhaps if you find them poor, your speed is not appropriate to a busy city centre.
    I wouldn't say that, it's just when you are used to bikes that are built to handle braking at 70kph+ on descents, you are naturally going to find 'squidgier' brakes like those on the db take a bit of getting used to, even at 30kph.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

The brakes are fine as well, perhaps if you find them poor, your speed is not appropriate to a busy city centre.

It's a safety issue with the squidgy brakes, even at low to moderate speed you need to be able to come to a halt rapidly, for example when a pedestrian wanders unexpectedly into your path or a Taxi swings in to drop off/collect a fare.
    Cycling in Dublin city centre which is car dominated is not for the faint hearted so I would expect the bikes brakes to be setup correctly...

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭paddy2k

The DB scheme is undoubtedly the best public amenity scheme added to the city in a long long time. I find the bikes fine too and very stable, you need to be almost stopped before it even thinks about leaning over. The brakes are fine as well, perhaps if you find them poor, your speed is not appropriate to a busy city centre.

Couldn't agree more!

I'm wondering thats the biggest portable speaker I can fit in the basket....

Advertisement