Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

North Dublin eveining spin Wed 8th / Thu 9th

• 07-09-2010 10:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭

I'm planning to head out into north Dublin from Glasnevin around 4 pm ending up in Baldoyle by 6.30 or 7 pm. Aiming for 60-70km. Maybe out towards Ratoath, Naul, Skerries or similar. Anyone interested?

Only problem is there are likely to be some showers about on Wed afternoon and they might be heavy. I'll see how they look during the day and may put it off until Thu instead...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭serendip

I'd be interested in this type of extended commute. Unfortunately, I can't join you this week (kids to look after). Maybe another day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

This going ahead. Could make 510 not 400.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

Will join you if you end up going on Thursday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

@ROK ON: I kinda have to be home by 7 so waiting until 5 would limit things.

@snollup: Weather looks better for Thursday at this point. Showers today won't die down until near dark and thursday's rain isn't expected until near dark.

I reckon I'll leave it until tomorrow. Same thing, departure about 4pm. Any good for you ROK ON?

cdaly_ wrote: »
    @ROK ON: I kinda have to be home by 7 so waiting until 5 would limit things.

@snollup: Weather looks better for Thursday at this point. Showers today won't die down until near dark and thursday's rain isn't expected until near dark.

I reckon I'll leave it until tomorrow. Same thing, departure about 4pm. Any good for you ROK ON?

Cool, where do you want to meet up? What sort of pace do you think you'll be doing?

• Advertisement

Work is glasnevin so if you're south of there it's probably reasonable to head north... Where are you starting from?

My solo pace is 25-27kph but that would probably go up a bit with a bit of drafting.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

ROK ON wrote: »
    Could make 510 not 400.

Kilometres???:eek:

Genealogy Forum Mod

Work is glasnevin so if you're south of there it's probably reasonable to head north... Where are you starting from?

My solo pace is 25-27kph but that would probably go up a bit with a bit of drafting.

Clontarf. On a day off work so will have plenty of time to head over your way to meet. You pick where suits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭sleepyholland

I thought you were looking for somebody to ride with you, not for you. ;)

Beautiful weather for it right now. Stunning sunshine.

I'm off to start a new thread entitled:
    Domestiques sought for Saturday Spin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭pprendeville

assuming this didn't go ahead today i will join ye all tomorrow. whereabouts ye meeting up? i'n in finglas so can meet anywhere really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Might tag along if you are passing within a couple of km of the airport around 4 would be around the same pace except going up hill im really slow.

Limited knowledge of Glasnevin so what about the gates of DCU on the Ballymun road across from Eurospar & the Matt Weldons (The Slipper) for meet up?

What direction from there would rather meet up further out if anyone wants to give me there mobile have a problem posting in work.

I'm planning to head out into north Dublin from Glasnevin around 4 pm ending up in Baldoyle by 6.30 or 7 pm. Aiming for 60-70km. Maybe out towards Ratoath, Naul, Skerries or similar. Anyone interested?

Only problem is there are likely to be some showers about on Wed afternoon and they might be heavy. I'll see how they look during the day and may put it off until Thu instead...

Hey mike12 - this was cdaly_ original plan. Will pm you my mobile.

I thought you were looking for somebody to ride with you, not for you. ;)

Beautiful weather for it right now. Stunning sunshine.

I'm off to start a new thread entitled:
    Domestiques sought for Saturday Spin.
    Hey, ya gotta start building your team somewhere... ;)
    snollup wrote: »
    Limited knowledge of Glasnevin so what about the gates of DCU on the Ballymun road across from Eurospar & the Matt Weldons (The Slipper) for meet up?

Sounds good to me. Head up via Ballymun picking up Mike12 on the way. DCU at 4?

I'm thinking of something like this route. Comes out about 73km DCU to Clontarf with options to cut out the Naul/Balrothery segment if it ends up too long.

See you at 4.

4 o'clock so at gates of DCU?

Yep, Gates on the Ballymun road.

There's rain coming but it looks like it won't make Dublin until late...

Ok if i meet up at the cross roads just after stiloge golf course around 4.10 if that sounds ok , hope to see ye then, hope no will be offended if im on a hybrid and not a road bike.
    Mike

mike12 wrote: »
    hope no will be offended if im on a hybrid and not a road bike.

Nah, I'll bring some tools and we'll do a quick road-side conversion before we set out... ;)

• Advertisement

Well...

That was fun, fast and eventful...

Met snollup and pprendeville at DCU and set off at about 4.10. Picked up mike12 just north of the M50. Headed out the old N2 as far as Ashbourne running a good pace. Couldn't find the Garristown road until we finally asked somebody at the north end of the town.

Headed out a narrow country road keeping up a nice pace until we overcooked it coming into a bend... Mike went wide to avoid a wheel, off the road and starting up the bank. He managed to hold a line for a bit but a hump or a hollow finished him off and down he went. I, coming behind him, was faced with a road full of Mike and bike and off I came too.

Got up and hauled everything off the road before anything came hurtling around the bend 10 metres back!

Mike has grazed knee and cheekbone with a nice swelling starting on the cheek. I've a bit of grazed elbow and sore ribs. Bikes ok apart from a broken handlebar extension on Mike's. Such are the perils of group riding when you're not used to it...

We gathered ourselves together and carried on. Got to Garristown and invoked the option to head for Swords. Nice fast run into Swords where Mike left us. Parted company with pprendeville at Dublin Airport and left snollup at Clare Hall.

Then, as I turned the last corner before home I ran over a nail with a bang and had to walk the last 40 metres. I'm pretty sure that distorted the avg speed so it was probably much higher...

Nice to meet y'all. We'll try to stay upright next time...

60km, avg 28kph, max 47kph.

Hope your both alright after your tumble. Enjoyed the spin (apart from the fall of course). Thanks all.

very enjoyable spin bar my stupid mistake spill was totally my fault not sure which hurts my elbow or my shoulder or my knees or my ego. hope u are not too sore cdaly.
    Mike

picture.php?albumid=875&pictureid=7285had a lovely spin today lads. Mike - hope you're not feeling too down. It's a good story to tell at work. Some crash so it was. Sorry I missed you leaving in Swords. Hope to see you out again.

cdaly - thank God it stayed dry. Thought I was going to get soaked coming back. dark clouds over Finglas. Know who to go to in future for a weather forecast. by the way, who's pprendergast?:)

snollup - hope to see you out again also.

here's a map of the ride by the way. http://www.worksmartlabs.com/cardiotrainer/tracks.php?trackId=664520968&sig=b6b251ef4312dffc5b3e7525d2379e8026ebedb5

by the way, who's pprendergast?:)

Gah! Just some feller I was chasing on a spin this evening... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭serendip

Thanks for the updates, all. Not sure I would have been able to keep up.

Ooh, sore ribs now. And then I had to go and get hiccups...

And to add insult to injury, that nail I punctured on 40 metres from my front door turned out to be a screw and has killed one of my gatorskins! I pulled the screw out on the roadside and then took this
    attachment.php?attachmentid=127104&stc=1&d=1284069539
    out of the tube when I went to mend it! Tube ripped and two holes in the tyre. New tube inflated had the sidewall bulging so that's the tyre toasted... :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

serendip wrote: »
    Thanks for the updates, all. Not sure I would have been able to keep upright.

Fixed that for you :)

Sorry to hear about your misadventures, lads. Sore ribs are not nice and they generally get a bit worse before they get better. I suggest you get herself to fit the new tyre. ;)

picture.php?albumid=875&pictureid=7285had a lovely spin today lads. Mike - hope you're not feeling too down. It's a good story to tell at work. Some crash so it was. Sorry I missed you leaving in Swords. Hope to see you out again.

cdaly - thank God it stayed dry. Thought I was going to get soaked coming back. dark clouds over Finglas. Know who to go to in future for a weather forecast. by the way, who's pprendergast?:)

snollup - hope to see you out again also.

here's a map of the ride by the way. http://www.worksmartlabs.com/cardiotrainer/tracks.php?trackId=664520968&sig=b6b251ef4312dffc5b3e7525d2379e8026ebedb5
    thanks for the photo very flattering, had to give in and go to the vhi clinic today turns out i have a bone cracked in my elbow going to be in a sling for a while at least the bikes ok. Hope u are not too sore cDaly.
    Mike

• Advertisement

thanks for the photo very flattering, had to give in and go to the vhi clinic today turns out i have a bone cracked in my elbow going to be in a sling for a while at least the bikes ok. Hope u are not too sore cDaly.
    Mike

Ow! Not nice! I reckon I'm grand, sore ribs for the next few days and a bit of taking it easy...

Mike

So sorry to hear that Mike. Hope you heal up quickly.

Advertisement