Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Appraisal] Q6600\Q6700

Options
  • 07-09-2010 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

Looking to buy one, but no idea how much they go for used. :p

EDIT: Ok, looking for prices for a Q6600\Q6700 now, not an E6600. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

now 30-40 euro why not look for a quad q6600

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭zodac

massy086 wrote: »

Got a Dell. :(

Can't afford to upgrade the whole thing, so a CPU upgrade will have to do. It'll be a nice change from my Pentium D though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

will your motherboard take the e6600

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

That chipset supports the Q6600

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

I don't think Dell enabled it in the BIOS though :(:mad:

That chipset supports the Q6600

Really? :eek:
    Solitaire wrote: »
    I don't think Dell enabled it in the BIOS though :(:mad:

Enabled what exactly?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

What's the Dell model?

Dimension E520.

zodac wrote: »
    Dimension E520.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19338421.aspx

Bios version 2.2.1 supports the Q6600. Any lower Bios version supports E6700 and lower. Boot into bios and find the version for us :)

EDIT: Also, for further proofing:
    http://en.community.dell.com/what-do-i-buy/f/3510/p/19207267/19332213.aspx

• Advertisement

BIOS v2.4.0, IIRC. Will go restart now though. :)

k

*waits anxiously*

Yup, v2.4.0.

Well there you go. Just do a bit of research on power consumption though :P I see plenty of people sticking in the Q6600, but nothing about power requirements etc. What's the current CPU?

Pentium D (805).

zodac wrote: »
    Pentium D (805).

Ah you should be ok so, the 805 is a power hog :)

Awesome. I think I'll change the thread title from E to Q then. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

have had a Q6600 for 2 years, running at stock speeds, and it kicks ass. Never seen it go above 30% usage during anything, it;s a friggin quad core. Haven't looked too much into whether or not hyperthreading is being used or not, but if you're looking for a solid processor, absolutely reccommend. Can actually run 4 seperate intensive programs jsut by allocating them to seperate cores- Note, buy a seperate Cooler, the one supplied (with my one anyway) was pants- the clips don;'t work properly.

Core2 CPUs do not have HyperThreading. However, their processing power per clock cycle is significantly higher than old Pentium 4/Ds and Athlons and a bit higher than a 65nm Phenom; they're roughly the same as Athlon2/Phenom2s and are only trumped by Core-ix CPUs, and not by a big margin either. C2Qs are still going as strong as ever :)

Groinshot wrote: »
    have had a Q6600 for 2 years, running at stock speeds, and it kicks ass. Never seen it go above 30% usage during anything, it;s a friggin quad core. Haven't looked too much into whether or not hyperthreading is being used or not, but if you're looking for a solid processor, absolutely reccommend. Can actually run 4 seperate intensive programs jsut by allocating them to seperate cores- Note, buy a seperate Cooler, the one supplied (with my one anyway) was pants- the clips don;'t work properly.

It'll be Folding, so it'll be under 100% load most of the time. I'll probably use the cooler I have in my case now (for the Pent D), and if that's not good enough, then use the stock cooler. Won't be doing any OCing.

Oh, and the Q6600 doesn't have HT.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I got a q6600 b3 here, its been lapped so the temps will be a few degrees better than stock. I was keeping it for a htpc I planned on building, but now with D-Link releasing this in November for under $200, my plans have changed. It'll be on adverts later if I don't get a pm offer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Where did you see it for that price?

massy086 wrote: »

Where did you see it for that price?

seen a few e6600 go for 40 quid on adverts

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I got a q6600 b3 here, its been lapped so the temps will be a few degrees better than stock. I was keeping it for a htpc I planned on building, but now with D-Link releasing this in November for under $200, my plans have changed. It'll be on adverts later if I don't get a pm offer :D

I would make an offer, but I'd rather try and get a Q6700. No OCing, so I'd like to get as high a clocked CPU as possible. Sorry. :(

But, if it's still for sale next week and I've had no luck, I'll get in touch. :D

The QX6700 uses well over 220 watts in full load. I'm fairly sure your PSU on the dell pc would die if you done that. The Q6600 on the other hand uses less than 200, a more comfortable power envelope. And to be honest, there isnt a HUGE difference in performance between the two. The QX6700 is miles better in term of pure overclocking value, but theres not a chance you could overclock with the setup you have.

Stick with the Q6600 and go for it, is what I say.

WTF?!?!? :confused: Pics or GTFO! :p

Besides, QX6*00 are enthusiast chips (unlocked multi, high price). With a TDP of 130W :p A Q6700 would be heaps cheaper and only has a 105W TDP :p

The QX6700 uses well over 220 watts in full load. I'm fairly sure your PSU on the dell pc would die if you done that. The Q6600 on the other hand uses less than 200, a more comfortable power envelope. And to be honest, there isnt a HUGE difference in performance between the two. The QX6700 is miles better in term of pure overclocking value, but theres not a chance you could overclock with the setup you have.

Stick with the Q6600 and go for it, is what I say.

I don't want a QX6700, just a Q6700. ;)

And I'm not using the stock Dell PSU either. :)

Solitaire wrote: »
    WTF?!?!? :confused: Pics or GTFO! :p

http://www.hwupgrade.com/articles/cpu/9/the-intel-core-2-extreme-qx6700-the-quad-core-era-begins_13.html

And yeah sorry, thought I saw an X in there. My bad!

Dude... those are system-wide figures from the wall plug, including mobo, RAM, HDDs, graphics, PSU inefficiencies...

:o:o:o

• Advertisement

I'm going to bed.

Advertisement