Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diabetic treatment in england

Options
  • 07-09-2010 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Im thinking I might end up moving to England to work there (Dont ya love this recession!!) Im just wondering do any of ye know what the story is with being seen by a diabetic clinic in england. Do I have to pay for it privately, or is it NHS covered etc. To be honest, Ive known about the possibility of having to move over for a while, but it's only today that the clinic issue came to me :o so any help very gratefully appreciated.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

It's covered by the NHS, both seeing doctors and prescriptions (similar to LTI scheme in Ireland). When you move, register with a practice, you should be approved straight away as being from Ireland once you move you are seen as ''settled'' for their records. I had to move too!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

As above, it is all paid for and the added bonus is that on UK prescriptions you'll also get any non diabetic medication for free on prescription too. Just recently moved back to the UK from Ireland myself. The practice I signed up to has their own diabetes nurse, she actually covers a few I think, but next week I've an appointment with a consultant at one of the local hospitals and then they have also got me down for a visit to the eye hospital as well next month.

Another point is that as well as getting all prescriptions for free due to being diabetic, you are also fully paid up for any other benefits from NI NHS type stuff such as eye tests etc. They might not be quite as aware of it in the UK but the PRSI payments and NI payments in the UK are interchangable so if your paid up on one then you are entitled to the other if you move.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,443 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Lived there as a student, once I was registered with a GP everything was easy. Free prescriptions like the others have said. I found I was able to get appointments much faster. They even had a mobile eye clinic that travelled to the different practices to screen for retinopathy and the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Kelda09

Havent been on boards for a few days, just seeing the replies now. Thanks a million for clearing that up for me guys. Didnt know whether or not it would be a huge hassle to get it sorted. Thanks for the help :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Just had a letter through from the local NHS trust "Overseas Office" after my recent appointment at the hospital due to me not having been resident for the previous 12 months and that because of that they may have to charge me. A bunch of questions on the form about if your over to seek asylum and asking for details of visas for working. Left a lot of the form blank and just filled in both my UK NI number and Irish PRSI one and sent it back to them, I happened to have a scan of my passport lying around so threw that in as well.

I'll try and remember to update if the process becomes any more complicated, but from when I was treated a few years ago as a foreginer for a busted leg I'm pretty sure there was no further follow up once they were happy I'd been living/ working in either UK or Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Paddysnapper

Loads of other useful information on www.diabetes.co.ku

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Kelda09

Thanks a million for replying guys! Im delighted that at least it seems to be a fairly straight forward thing to deal with.

Advertisement