Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVI Cable connection problems

Options
  • 07-09-2010 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi ,
    About 4 years ago i bought a dell PC and the connection i was given for the display was a DVI cable .Following the instructions i connected the cable from what i believe to be the graphics card to the LCD monitor.

This all worked fine and i enjoyed a high resolution picture for years until may when all of a sudden i turned on my PC and there was no picture but i could hear the background loading noises so i knew it was a display problem only. Since i was leaving the country for 3 months in 5 days back then i didnt care too much about the problem so i remembered there was a VGA connection cable as well given with the PC.
    To help me for the short term I used the VGA cable to connect the monitor to the back of the computer VGA port , i could connect the VGA port to my graphics card but the monitor wouldn't show any picture so i just left it in the VGA port at the back of the computer.

Now i'm back in the country i wanted to go back to a nice looking resolution screen so i bought a DVI-D [Male - Dual] cable from the store as the assistant said it should work no problem.
    I get home and of course when i attach it to the monitor and graphics card the screen only shows " 2: Digital Input" but wont load the actual screen.

Now sorry for the long winded story but felt its better to explain fully since i dont know the technical details. My question is what do i need to do /buy to get my old high resolution display back

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

Just to clarify and make sure that I understand you properly: you connected your PC to an LCD monitor which worked okay until one day when it stopped displaying at all. Now are you saying that you haven't gotten any monitor since that time to work with your PC?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Pages

No sorry i probably could have made that clearer

When the DVI connection stoped working i used the VGA connection which works but the connection is to my computer but not specifically the graphics card which is annoying as i think it is stopping my from running certain programs ( i.e games)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

Pages wrote: »
    No sorry i probably could have made that clearer

When the DVI connection stoped working i used the VGA connection which works but the connection is to my computer but not specifically the graphics card which is annoying as i think it is stopping my from running certain programs ( i.e games)

You have to connect it to the graphics card for it to run the graphics card. Have you tried another monitor on the DVI inout. or if your using VGA now, try that monitor with a dvi-vga dongle.

can't sem to find this on win7, but I remember seeing somethign in display preferences in winxp about it beign connected to the greaphics card or not(right click, display, and the last tab, used to give me two selections, and one of them was my graphics card, hopefully someone can elaborate on this)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Pages

Yeah the problem is if I connect the VGA cable to the port in the graphics card the screen will only show " 1: Analog input" and then go back to blank.
    Edit: and unfortunately i dont have another monitor at my disposal to try on different one.
    What i really want is just to find out what DVI cable i need to buy to connect the graphics card back to the LCD as it was before it just randomly stopped working. As i said i bought a DVI-D [Male - Dual] but that didnt work out to well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Just to clarify and to make sure I'm on the same page. You have a computer which has a graphics card with a vga and dvi output, which doesn't work on either port and vga port on your motherboard which works fine (beyond being a little crap). My first question is when the graphics card is used and the computer is booting but before windows starts do you see anything at all (on the Dells its usually just the logo and a progress bar)?

You should also lookup how to reset your BIOS physically via your motherboard as you will need to know this before proceeding.

Next you should try to disable your onboard graphics as they can conflict with the graphics card. If nothing is then output then you need to reset your BIOS to get back output on your integrated graphics.

After this the most likely situation is that your graphics card is fried and you need to get a new one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement