Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

making my own skirting - advice needed

Options
  • 07-09-2010 11:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

Was thinking of buying 8''x 1'' oak, plane and straighten it myself, router it and mix in some mahogany..saw it in a house few weeks ago and thought it looked v well. Thinks its about 20 euro plus vat for a 12' length...
    Question is... would it start shrinking and warping and pulling away from the walls?? It is kiln dried.... Thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

johnpawl wrote: »
    Was thinking of buying 8''x 1'' oak, plane and straighten it myself, router it and mix in some mahogany..saw it in a house few weeks ago and thought it looked v well. Thinks its about 20 euro plus vat for a 12' length...
    Question is... would it start shrinking and warping and pulling away from the walls?? It is kiln dried.... Thanks...

What do you mean by 'mix in some mahogany'? What type of walls are the skirtings going on? Block or studded walls? I'd imagine once you have a good solid, and plenty of fixing points then it shouldnt be a problem, it'll have to be left in the house a while to acclimatise before you fix it. Just make sure and use brass screws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

What do you mean by 'mix in some mahogany'? What type of walls are the skirtings going on? Block or studded walls? I'd imagine once you have a good solid, and plenty of fixing points then it shouldnt be a problem, it'll have to be left in the house a while to acclimatise before you fix it. Just make sure and use brass screws.

Block walls...1.85 a foot for oak, 1.57 for ash...Thinking of screwing and counterboring and plugging... By mixing it in I mean router a slot and glue in mahogany..seen it in another house last week, looks the job..done on the architrave as well... I'm thinkin ash might look as well though.....I'm thinking of making the door frames and architrave as well....

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭cork2

oak with a mahogany inlay definately looks very very impressive. making it yourself is a great accomplishment but is alot of work. the main thing for skirting is getting a straight edge on the top and then keeping your inlay perfectly paralell because a small wobble in your lines will be seen. skirting and archatrave are very doable given plenty of time and patience. its the door frames id worry about. cutting and planing the frames is one thing but i wouldnt try and rebate them by hand or with a router. should be machine done.

cork2 wrote: »
    oak with a mahogany inlay definately looks very very impressive. making it yourself is a great accomplishment but is alot of work. the main thing for skirting is getting a straight edge on the top and then keeping your inlay perfectly paralell because a small wobble in your lines will be seen. skirting and archatrave are very doable given plenty of time and patience. its the door frames id worry about. cutting and planing the frames is one thing but i wouldnt try and rebate them by hand or with a router. should be machine done.

I was thinking of cutting the oak down to 5 1/4 '' then glueing and screwing mdf onto the back, then fixing the stop to the frame...
    I did them before just cut the rebate out on the table saw....

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭cork2

I was thinking of cutting the oak down to 5 1/4 '' then glueing and screwing mdf onto the back, then fixing the stop to the frame...
    I did them before just cut the rebate out on the table saw....

Good thinking john paul! :)

• Advertisement

cork2 wrote: »
    Good thinking john paul! :)

Thanks... any ideas for a nice profile and insert for the skirting???

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

nice project - take pics as you go along - might help someone else too.

k

karltimber wrote: »
    nice project - take pics as you go along - might help someone else too.

k
    ya will take pics as i go along and post em. I've seen em recently done in ash n they look very well..... it looks like they might've stained the ash very slightly to darken it a little.. Any ideas on a good stain for this? Not tryin to make it look like oak or anything just darken very slightly. Would a few coats of danish oil be a suitable finish? thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

ya will take pics as i go along and post em. I've seen em recently done in ash n they look very well..... it looks like they might've stained the ash very slightly to darken it a little.. Any ideas on a good stain for this? Not tryin to make it look like oak or anything just darken very slightly. Would a few coats of danish oil be a suitable finish? thanks.

I've found that Danish oil on ash makes it go very yellow, not that nice a shade of yellow either.

Advertisement