Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog and puppy food

Options
  • 07-09-2010 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭

Right so i just got a puppy last week and everythings going great except she keeps eating the older dogs dry food from his bowl and has no interest in her dry food but when i put the puppy food in his bowl she will eat it! now he has no probelm sharing his bowl (unless his wet foods in it) but do you think if i put the puppy food in his bowl is it ok for the older dog to eat? im worried the aduly dry food is a bit much for he tummy! shes only ten weeks!
    thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I wouldn't let her eat too much of the adult dog food, as it is probably not suitable for her as she's so young.

I think it's a case of 'far away fields are greener' with your puppy; she's not content with what's in her dish and so wants what your other dog is having.

If you feed her on her own or apart from the other dog will she eat her food? And would it make any difference if you put it in his bowl in front of her?

You could try feeding her on her own for a bit, but you're eventually going to have to deal with the situation. Like children, she's going to have to learn that she can't take her friend's food. You could try putting the dogs' dishes at either side of the room in which you feed them, and stand between them every time you feed them. Then, when your puppy goes to move from her dish to the other dog's dish, you say 'no' firmly, pick her up and put back in front of her dish. If you wish, you could clap your hands to make a noise to show her your serious if she doesn't seem to be heeding your warnings. It will take time, but you would be amazed at how quickly she could learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭sophie1234

but would it be ok to give the older dog puppy food just so she can see they are gettin the same and maybe then she will go back to her own bowl!!!!! because when i put the adult food in her bowl (just did it as a test) she ate it! she just wants the same as him!? but am worried the puppy food wont be enough for him?

Edit: no when i feed her away or at a different time shes not interested she just wants what hes got see we always just leave a cup of dry food in his bowl he picks it throughout the day and then gets wet food in the evening! but she just wont pick at her dry food only his!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

The puppy food shouldn't do him any harm, but it won't have the right balance of nutrients that he, as an adult dog, will require.

Perhaps you could give him some puppy food when feeding them together, and then feed him his own food at another time so that he gets all the nutrients, vitamins and minerals he requires.

thanks ye i think i will try that he gets more then just a cup of dry a day thats just kinda what we have for him though out the day he rarely finishes it all but now im just guna try give them both a bit of puppy food untill she is eating her own then put him back on his food!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

do you soak the puppy's food in water? apparently the smell is more appealing to them if the dry kibble is soaked in water for a while beforehand.
    maybe if you soaked it she would be more interested in her own food than Oscar's?

What did you call her?

• Advertisement

called her pringles! well i thought cause oscars isnt soaked and she eats that why soak hes she also is in no way interested in wet food! only seem to want to eat the dry food! witch im not complaining cause i find wet food leaves there face in a mess!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

I am in the same boat as you. I have 2 adult dogs and now a new puppy. Pup was in getting her final shot in the Vets and food requirements were discussed.

The Vet said it would be better to feed all the dogs the puppy food if needed so that we can ensure the pup is getting all her vital nutrients and vitamins. The Vet said it would do no harm for a short period to the older dogs.

RosieJoe wrote: »
    I am in the same boat as you. I have 2 adult dogs and now a new puppy. Pup was in getting her final shot in the Vets and food requirements were discussed.

The Vet said it would be better to feed all the dogs the puppy food if needed so that we can ensure the pup is getting all her vital nutrients and vitamins. The Vet said it would do no harm for a short period to the older dogs.

thanks a million!! just the answer i was looking for!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

On a related note for how long should you give a puppy wet food?
    Our pups are 13 weeks old now and I still steep the nuts for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

kildareash wrote: »

Ours is 12 weeks old and we were told to stop soaking it for her. This was because she was eating the adults dry food with no problems. Also, gives them something to chomp on rather than the leg of your table.

This info is coming from our vet, so feel free to take it or disregard it. I am only regurgitating it for you all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

kildareash wrote: »

You can slowly start reducing the time your soaking them for until you don't soak them at all. It's no harm for an adult dog to have wet food in it's diet so long as it's of good quality (like naturediet or applaws), personally I add a bit of mashed up naturediet to my dog's evening feed because it adds a bit of variety. I wouldn't like to eat dry biscuits for my whole life so why should my dog. As long as the dog doesn't become fussy and refuses to eat dry food there is no harm in adding a bit of wet food.

Advertisement