Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kennel cough

Options
  • 07-09-2010 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭

hi just wondering 2 days ago i rescued a lil dog from the pound were he contracted kennel cough which he is being treated for. but what i was wondering was can people contract this off them . i have being looking around the net and seem to be getting mixed opinions about it and that we can contract certain strains if we have a low immune system.
    any help and educated opinions wud be great:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

As far as I know it is not possible for Kennel Cough to jump species, in the same way that dogs don't catch colds from us.

How's your new dog doing? it is so sad seeing them with this illness unfortunately both of mine got it last year (one from mixing with other dogs in the fields and then passed it to the other one)

If you're not already doing it, honey is great for the cough it really helped my 2 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

There are many different strains of kennel cough, the most serious (generally considered) is Bordetella. The strain of Bordetella that causes KC is related to another that causes Whooping Cough in humans, but is not the same strain. If you or anyone in the house is severely immune compromised (due to HIV/AIDS, cancer etc.) they should steer clear of the coughing dog but really, if this is the case, they probably have far worse things to worry about. The strain of Bordetella that causes KC is not considered contagious to humans (so, to answer your question - as a rule, no!) but in special circumstances I would err on the side of caution. I have had it through my house several time (due to rescue dogs bringing it in) and nobody in the house has even had any problems at all.

Hope your poor pet gets well soon, they can be very ill and miserable when they have KC :(

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

cheers for the info. hes in bits with it and i have to keep him clear of my other dog so he does not get infected . i came down yesterday morning and there was white foam balls all over the kitchen floor its horrible watching him suffer but at least he has a home now. all the chap wants to do is cuddle under my arm and go asleep . i flea treated him and gave him a shampoo and conditioning and you could tell by his face that he loved it:D [after it not during it] gonna give him a bit of honey and see how it go s
    cheers again;)

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭sassychick

Hi der my vet told me to use benylin on my dog when she had kc and believe me it worked wonders:D

sassychick wrote: »
    Hi der my vet told me to use benylin on my dog when she had kc and believe me it worked wonders:D

Forgot to mention this - brilliant tip! The sugar free version is brilliant, really soothes their cough. A teaspoon maybe twice or three times per day (for a smaller dog). I have used to on all of mine and have only good things to say. Also recommended to me by a few vets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I wasnt sure if it is contagious to humans or not so i had a look. Seems it can be link as the bacteria Bordetella brochiseptica is closely related to the one that causes whooping cough,but the chances are slim in healthy people, more so to keep immunocompromised people and babies away from the dog until it clears.

Good tip with the Benylin btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Amberjack

Honey also helps sooth the throat, worked with my Jack Russell

sassychick wrote: »

cheers.what type of benylin is best for kc would it be an expectorant/? or maybe suppresant . he was spitting up phlem but not anymore .

pokertalk wrote: »
    cheers.what type of benylin is best for kc would it be an expectorant/? or maybe suppresant . he was spitting up phlem but not anymore .

The best is the "dry cough" one - works a dream!

now my other dog as it even do the new lad[pickles] was not kept in
    the same place as my other one [buddy] told the vet i need two courses of tablets but he would not give them to me without aeeing buddy so have to bring him tomorrow so the kitchen is full of cough ball again except these ones are bigger waaay bigger coz buddy is a pretty big dog 38 kg. plus every time he coughs he farts :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Kennel cough is highly contagious and its an air bourne disease so they dont necessarily have to be very close contact to catch it off another dog once they are in the same area, so even in the garden or house would be enough to catch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭valpuk

I lived in an area last year where there were 9 houses within the space of half a mile of each other and within a week all of the houses dogs had caught it. Please bear in mind that there was a minimum of 2 dogs per house and one of the houses who is a well known breeder had 6 dogs so the vets in our area had a field day with subscriptions and consultation charges. It is a horrid and dangerous illness for dogs. Hope your new addition is settling into his new home. I can't wait to get settled in my own house and get our own rescue dog.

Advertisement