Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying for parking do you agree with it?

Options
  • 07-09-2010 11:42pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

I think that paying for parking is a joke, surely the business' in towns should be delighted to have people coming into the towns shopping. We pay enough on our purchases without the expense of parking. It has spread from the larger towns to the smaller ones, and watch them put up the charges to get as much money as they can.

Another government tax!!

Am I the only one who feels this way? :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 goodlookingman

Hate it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

The one hour parking on main streets in westport at peak times is good. Because it clears congestion and ensures quick turn around of parking... But actually having to pay for parking makes me question their motives...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Parking in castlebar is a disaster. Just to go into the post office for 2minutes you have to pay for parking. I avoid the town at all costs. Paying to park was ok back in the celtic tiger days but in this day and age is ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    Parking in castlebar is a disaster. Just to go into the post office for 2minutes you have to pay for parking. I avoid the town at all costs. Paying to park was ok back in the celtic tiger days but in this day and age is ridiculous!

Why don't you park in Tesco car park and walk across? They are right beside each other!

When I see the like of the footpaths being relayed and the lake getting a good tidy up I don't mind parking charges. At least I can see the money going towards something worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

And its scandalous that we have to pay for cars too!!!!
    Bloody government

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

jenno86 wrote: »
    Why don't you park in Tesco car park and walk across? They are right beside each other!

When I see the like of the footpaths being relayed and the lake getting a good tidy up I don't mind parking charges. At least I can see the money going towards something worthwhile.

Tesco car park only for tesco customers. Was caught by the man in the green jacket!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    Tesco car park only for tesco customers. Was caught by the man in the green jacket!

Tough:) But run into Tesco for a minute to buy the paper or whatever. You then have 90 mins free.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭GaelMonfils

paying for on-street parking is a must. It keeps the idiots from clogging the place up by abandoning cars recklessly and thinking they own the place.
    Yes, charge people for parking. When you gotta pay for it, you have a little bit more cop on about it.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

Thank God for Aldi and Lidl... Never go to Dunnes stores in Castlebar/Ballina/Sligo because the parking is crazy... and I have to pay.

Tesco in Ballina/Castlebar is not too bad, if you are doing the weekly shopping they refund the parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Its been pretty much confirmed - Pay and Display parking is on it's way to Westport.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Well Tesco is setting up in Swinford so Parking charges will arrive in that town too no doubt...

Its amazing how it adds up, especially if you have to move a few times...

I agree about lidl and aldi and any supermarket that offers free parking if you shop with them, fair play..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

I can't understand why people are so annoyed about paying for parking.
    I think its far more annoying and worrying that people have to raise money for things like the childrens hospital in crumlin and the government doesn't just fund it completely. Come on people. Get a grip

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Shop and use the postoffice in Balla, thats free and theres plenty of parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

rarely pay for parking in castlebar, maybe on a saturday if i am going to be a few hours. but i dont work in the town

Just wondering does anyone here know.....
    if you purchase a ticket in one street and then move to another street with time left on your ticket.. will the same ticket cover you, or have you to buy a new ticket for that specific area..

artieanna wrote: »
    Just wondering does anyone here know.....
    if you purchase a ticket in one street and then move to another street with time left on your ticket.. will the same ticket cover you, or have you to buy a new ticket for that specific area..

buy one for each area, thats why they are different colors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

artieanna wrote: »
    Well Tesco is setting up in Swinford so Parking charges will arrive in that town too no doubt...

Its amazing how it adds up, especially if you have to move a few times...

I agree about lidl and aldi and any supermarket that offers free parking if you shop with them, fair play..

Paying for parking in Swinford? I'd say they wouldn't dream of it!? Ah, sure, I'll only be a few minutes!

I have to say if I'm really stuck I do park for free in Lidl in Ballina, I'm so ashamed!

But yes, paid parking is ridiculous especially when you pay road tax. And it does all add up. And you can be sure that some people never pay for it, just like with everything else.

irishgeo wrote: »
    buy one for each area, thats why they are different colors.

mean ******* , how mean is that, its not enough that you pay for parking, you cant even use the time to spare elsewhere...

barleybooley Paying for parking in Swinford? I'd say they wouldn't dream of it!?
    They dream too regularly thats the problem:(

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

Fully agree with paying for parking.It has stopped loads of people thinking it's ok to abandon their vehicles anyplace,especially the stupid people that have it in their thick heads that shoving on the hazards after double parking beside the door of a shop is ok because they will only be gone for 2mins.Wake up and think of other people than yourself,such ignorance.And while I'm on a rant,parking in loading bays (i'm a truck driver:mad::mad:),parking in bus stops:mad:,and the height of complete and utter ignorance,parking in disabled spaces:mad::mad::mad:.

The parking warden around the C/morris area is nicknamed "Hitler".I find him a complete gentleman and laugh at people when I hear them giving out about being caught.The town has a lot of good done but it has a lot more to do to win the battle with the ignorance some people show while driving and parking around the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭travellingbid

[QUOTE=

The parking warden around the C/morris area is nicknamed "Hitler".I find him a complete gentleman and laugh at people when I hear them giving out about being caught..[/QUOTE]

I have to agree. I think he is probably one of the fairest wardens around the county

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭John mac

Well Tesco is setting up in Swinford so Parking charges will arrive in that town too no doubt.

It might stop people abandoning cars in the middle of the road.

John mac wrote: »

It might stop people abandoning cars in the middle of the road.

i wonder can Newport get a parking a warden, they don't know how to park in that town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭thechronicit

i wonder can Newport get a parking a warden, they don't know how to park in that town.

I agrees with you on this one, its absurd in Newport either these drivers doesn't have a clue how to park or they just arrogance, think it the latter. The traffic warden come once for 3 hours every 2 weeks and in the quietest time in morning spent more time gossiping with the locals doing nothing and getting well paid for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Mits

I think you should pay for parking in the Cities but only to stop people hogging a parking spot. I think paid parking is a real disincentive to business. I live near Drogheada and avoid the town due to paid parking. I shop where there is free parking in the retail parks.
    If it could be policed free parking for the first hour would people me to shop more in the town.

I agrees with you on this one, its absurd in Newport either these drivers doesn't have a clue how to park or they just arrogance, think it the latter. The traffic warden come once for 3 hours every 2 weeks and in the quietest time in morning spent more time gossiping with the locals doing nothing and getting well paid for it.

i was driving through newport and the CIE bus pulls up in the middle of the street alongside the parked cars blocking the left lane. another car was behind the bus, then me.

The driver behind the bus the decides to hop of the car and swans off to the shop therefore parking in the middle of the road. i was mad. even let him know it but all he done was look at me to say what have i done wrong.Idiots and the road the road through the town is disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

It costs a lot to provide and maintain parking spaces. Reasonable to ask the user to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭John mac

i was driving through newport and the CIE bus pulls up in the middle of the street alongside the parked cars blocking the left lane. another car was behind the bus, then me.

The driver behind the bus the decides to hop of the car and swans off to the shop therefore parking in the middle of the road. i was mad. even let him know it but all he done was look at me to say what have i done wrong.Idiots and the road the road through the town is disgrace.

Swinford is exactly the same .

Ya I can see where lorry drivers are coming from alright, alot of people do park stupidly and dump their cars anywhere.

But surely the car parks should be free, I feel I am doing my share by just shopping in a town.

Advertisement