Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questionable thread in AH

Options
  • 08-09-2010 12:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭

There's a thread in AH entitled "best scumbag names" or something along those lines and it consists of nothing more than post after post of mockery of people from certain areas or social groups. It is completely unacceptable that such a thread has been allowed to run for so long. Where are the AH mods? Requesting that it be locked immediately.

I'd hate to think boards.ie just lets bigotry run rampant on it's forums. A joke is a joke but this is incredibly offensive to a very large number of people. Heads should roll to be quite honest.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055493540
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Report it or PM one of the mods

HTH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭demonspawn

Tallon wrote: »
    Report it or PM one of the mods

HTH

I did. It's still up. I PMed AlmightyCushion if that's any help. Actually, I caught a 1 month ban for going off on the people participating in the thread but that's irrelevant.

demonspawn wrote: »
    I did. It's still up. I PMed AlmightyCushion if that's any help. Actually, I caught a 1 month ban for going off on the people participating in the thread but that's irrelevant.

It's 00:10, sit tight... People of AH don't sleep, but Mods need to recharge

There's another thread called "when did skangers become chavs" that should be locked. My brother in law comes from Ballyfermot and I found it pretty offensive. If this is the standard to which AH has fallen, then something's not right. It's a forum to go have a laugh, not bash the poorest in this country.

I posted a thread myself to address these people and caught a ban. I'll never post in that forum again to be honest. Most of the people posting in those threads would run to the other side of the street if they saw a "skanger" or a "scumbag" walking towards them.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

There's another thread called "when did skangers become chavs" that should be locked. My brother in law comes from Ballyfermot and I found it pretty offensive. If this is the standard to which AH has fallen, then something's not right. It's a forum to go have a laugh, not bash the poorest in this country.

It's been like that for about 5 years...

• Advertisement

You can't get annoyed at a thread just because you know something in it relates to something in your life.

If there is clear abuse, slaggin or straight up offensiveness then report it and wait at least 24 hours for the mods to get to it before 'escalating' it, so to speak.

It would be the equivelant of me saying this thread should be locked just because I don't like Questionable threads in AH being mentioned

You can't get annoyed at a thread just because you know something in it relates to something in your life.

If there is clear abuse, slaggin or straight up offensiveness then report it and wait at least 24 hours for the mods to get to it before 'escalating' it, so to speak.

It would be the equivelant of me saying this thread should be locked just because I don't like Questionable threads in AH being mentioned

The entire thread is dedicated to bashing inner city people. Who can you say I took offense to something in the thread that relates to me? The whole thing is offensive!

I had a very long discussion with a cat mod for AH about it about 4-5 hours ago and he didn't lock it.

The entire thread is dedicated to bashing inner city people. Who can you say I took offense to something in the thread that relates to me? The whole thing is offensive!

Erm, YOU said it....

I posted a thread myself to address these people and caught a ban. I'll never post in that forum again to be honest. Most of the people posting in those threads would run to the other side of the street if they saw a "skanger" or a "scumbag" walking towards them.

I'm not going to argue about this. Will an admin please just sort this out when you get a chance.

No need to reply to this thread if it doesn't concern you.

Will an admin please just sort this out when you get a chance.
    It's 00:10, sit tight...

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

If you want you can pm me for some light hearted frivolty. I'm here all night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Nice of you to call your brother in law a "skanger," "chav" and a "scumbag," OP. Disappointed in your sister's choices, are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Yes, let's get AH back to all those threads bashing various counties. It's far less offensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭seensensee

Actually, I caught a 1 month ban for going off on the people participating in the thread but that's irrelevant.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055985023 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

There's a thread in AH entitled "best scumbag names" or something along those lines

Bleedin' deadly.

//runs off to thread

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I had a very long discussion with a cat mod for AH about it about 4-5 hours ago and he didn't lock it.

Well the discussion was actually about your ban and not specifically about this thread.
    The entire thread is dedicated to bashing inner city people.
    It's a forum to go have a laugh, not bash the poorest in this country.

So you're saying that people in inner city dublin are the poorest people in the country. That's more offensive than anything posted in the thread.

Well the discussion was actually about your ban and not specifically about this thread.

Are you saying I'm lying? Are you saying that I didn't make my views on that thread as clear as possible? Would you like me to post the entire discussion? You know damn well that thread is offensive, you even said I had a right to say what I did but I was banned for the manner in which I said it. The thread is offensive and yet it's still running.
    Hello, I've been banned from AH for posting a thread criticizing the attitudes of certain posters on the AH forum and the middle class in general. Such threads such as "Best scumbag names" and "When skangers become chavs" are extremely offensive yet they are allowed to run. I criticize the attitudes of posters and get banned for a month with no prior warnings from the moderator. I don't think this is fair whatsoever.
    You weren't banned for criticising the middle class you were banned for the way you got your points across. That thread would have been fine if you had approached it in a non trolly and non antagonistic way

I'll post the whole conversation if you like. You knew well that it was an offensive thread, I stated as much in my first PM. You can't play the he said she said game on the internet. I posted that thread out of pure anger and because the mods were either oblivious to the fact that it was offensive or just didn't give a toss. I'd say they just didn't give a toss.
    So you're saying that people in inner city dublin are the poorest people in the country. That's more offensive than anything posted in the thread.

What's so offensive about being poor? I lived in the inner city, I know what's it's like there. I reckon half the country is now dirt poor, up to their eyeballs in debt. Are you saying there's something wrong with not having money? I reckon taking the piss out of an entire group of people on a public forum is a hell of a lot more offensive. You should be ashamed to call yourself a moderator to be honest.

You know what, it doesn't matter. You and your AH buddies just keep on spewing bile in that forum, I'll never waste another second in there again.

The posters in that thread wouldn't dare speak like that out in public, they'd be too afraid of being overheard and have some "scumbag" or "skanger" come over and beat the snot out of them. Internet anonymity is a wonderful thing, isn't it?

SOTS? Is that you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

There's a thread in AH entitled "best scumbag names" or something along those lines and it consists of nothing more than post after post of mockery of people from certain areas or social groups. It is completely unacceptable that such a thread has been allowed to run for so long. Where are the AH mods? Requesting that it be locked immediately.

I'd hate to think boards.ie just lets bigotry run rampant on it's forums. A joke is a joke but this is incredibly offensive to a very large number of people. Heads should roll to be quite honest.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055493540

No it's not unacceptable.

AH is a Forum which allows a certain amount of latitude and not meant to be taken seriously all the time.

Quite frankly I feel that you are trying to gain a profile for yourself as the Moral Guardian of posters on Boards.ie.

I base this on the numerous posts from you on Feedback and other threads where you inevitably adopt a position of outraged rhetoric.

Most of the posters on Boards.ie and especially AH don't adopt such a clenched attitude you adopt.

My advice to you would be to try to loosen up and not be wasting Mods time with spurious confrontations and not be insulting the intelligence of other posters with your brand of 'outrage'.

Give it a rest man.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Papa Smut wrote: »
    SOTS? Is that you?

You read my mind.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

You know what, it doesn't matter. You and your AH buddies just keep on spewing bile in that forum, I'll never waste another second in there again.

To be honest with you, that is the attitude to take.

Personally, I don't frequent AH as I find that the vast majority of the threads don't interest me. And I do find some of the opinions expressed to be somewhat distasteful and vulgar, but as long as they are within the site rules, and as long as those who frequent the forum do not find such comments objectionable, they are going to be allowed.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Hey OP. I'll gladly increase your ban to a permanent one if you feel that after hours is not the forum for you.
    Lemme know.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

There's another thread called "when did skangers become chavs" that should be locked. My brother in law comes from Ballyfermot and I found it pretty offensive. .

Problems start when people get offended on behalf of other people.

The reality is that your brother in law is well aware of what ballyfermot is like, more so than most people that make remarks about it, and been from there will know that there is very nice people from that area of Dublin.

The issue is however, you dont like peoples comments on certain parts of dublin, which you are entitled to. However you are not entitled to go on a one man crusade and break forum rules by abusing people, therefore receiving a ban. If you want to refute peoples posts and comments, do so within the bounds of the rules, you will more likely win your arguement and avoid an ironic forum ban for being overly agressive.

If someone says "Athlone is a nackers dumphole" i could reply and say fcuk you arsehole... (so you see the tinge of irony?) or i could enter a debate with this said person that wouldnt last long, by kindly asking them how many people do they actually know in athlone? - the latter receives no ban, i win debate, and the poster that said athlone is a nackers dump looks like an idiot.

win

• Registered Users Posts: 24,508 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Quite frankly I feel that you are trying to gain a profile for yourself as the Moral Guardian of posters on Boards.ie.

Give it a rest man.

+1

He invariably ends up sounding trollish though in the constant outrage

My advice to you...

The day I take advice from someone like you is the day I decide life just isn't worth living anymore. I'd have to be brain dead to actually listen to a word you say.

This doesn't concern you in the slightest, so kindly find your way out of this discussion. Go find someone else to troll.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Papa Smut wrote: »
    SOTS? Is that you?

The sense of deja-vu is is incredible!

snyper wrote: »
    If someone says "Athlone is a nackers dumphole" i could reply and say fcuk you arsehole... (so you see the tinge of irony?) or i could enter a debate with this said person that wouldnt last long, by kindly asking them how many people do they actually know in athlone? - the latter receives no ban, i win debate, and the poster that said athlone is a nackers dump looks like an idiot.

win

I appreciate what you're saying and the manner in which you said it, but there's a difference in taking the piss out of a town and taking the piss out of a particular group of people. I took offense because one of those people is actually a family member. I'm sure you can understand that. It's no different than saying "boggers are ...." because many people accept that they are considered boggers so the insult is made personal. My family is from Leitrim and Donegal so I would take personal offense to such statements. They are derogatory and only made to insult people. There are similar words used in the U.S. and you'd catch a beating for using them in the wrong company.

Anyway, like I said. Let the bigots and hypocrites have the AH forum, I won't waste my time there again.

The sense of deja-vu is is incredible!

Don't you have better things to be doing than trolling the feedback forum? Obviously you don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

The day I take advice from someone like you is the day I decide life just isn't worth living anymore. I'd have to be brain dead to actually listen to a word you say.

Ahh jaysus! That's a bit harsh.

I think he* was actually trying to give you good advise there.

*I'm figuring you are a he FlutterinB!

Advertisement