Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questionable thread in AH

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

demonspawn wrote: »
    Don't you have better things to be doing than trolling the feedback forum? Obviously you don't.

I'm also involved in a heated debate on the morality (or otherwise) of abortion. I'm using the time I should be spending sleeping to get involved in productive arguments, seeking both to educate others to be enlightened myself. As such, I am adding to the community I post in while enjoying the interaction I have with other posters.

You, on the other hand, are making snide remarks about dying rather than listening to a genuine piece of sound wisdom. You are labelling an entire forum's user-base as bigoted and hypocritical, rather than trying to see things from their point of view.

If you spent half as much time trying to adapt to the various nuances and cultures of the different forums on this site as you do giving out and looking for homogeneity, you'd probably find yourself a lot happier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭demonspawn

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    Ahh jaysus! That's a bit harsh.

I think he* was actually trying to give you good advise there.

He wasn't. He's a troll, it's what he does. He trolls constantly in the politics forum trying to get a rise out of people. He's got nothing to say that I want to hear. If that's harsh then so be it.

I'm also involved in a heated debate on the morality (or otherwise) of abortion. I'm using the time I should be spending sleeping to get involved in productive arguments, seeking both to educate others to be enlightened myself. As such, I am adding to the community I post in while enjoying the interaction I have with other posters.

You, on the other hand, are making snide remarks about dying rather than listening to a genuine piece of sound wisdom. You are labelling an entire forum's user-base as bigoted and hypocritical, rather than trying to see things from their point of view.

If you spent half as much time trying to adapt to the various nuances and cultures of the different forums on this site as you do giving out and looking for homogeneity, you'd probably find yourself a lot happier.

I understand what you're saying but I'm just not the type to keep quiet when I see a problem. I may be the only one who sees it but I'm still gonna speak my mind. It's better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for something are not. I'm an opinionated person and that tends to wind people up. Not much I can do about that really.

Besides, happiness is terribly overrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

I'm just not the type to keep quiet when I see a problem. I may be the only one who sees it but I'm still gonna speak my mind. It's better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for something are not.

Now the above or something seriously like it I have definitely seen written before by yer man SOTS.

Not saying you are him but just seriously feels like.... deja vù!

In relation to FB I guess if you don't like him then obviously you wouldn't take his advise on board. But maybe you could go about addressing the problems you see in a slightly more ....approachable/nicer way? Just a thought. :)

Now the above or something seriously like it I have definitely seen written before by yer man SOTS.

Not saying you are him but just seriously feels like.... deja vù!

In relation to FB I guess if you don't like him then obviously you wouldn't take his advise on board. But maybe you could go about addressing the problems you see in a slightly more ....approachable/nicer way? Just a thought. :)

Who is SOTS? I searched for his name to read some of his posts and didn't find it. Just really curious now, sounds like we'd probably get on.

Yeah, I admit I can be a little bit too aggressive when dealing with certain people but it's just the way I am. I don't have much time for people that go out of their way just to get a rise from other folks. I have the body of a teenager (I wish) with the demeanor of a 60 year-old. :D I'm alright if you don't intentionally piss me off but I lose it a bit when someone gets me going. I'm like MSG coated chocolate bars for trolls. God help yas when I'm actually 60, you'll have to ban me from boards altogether.

Edit: Just Googled SOTS and came up with a great new sig:
    God will lead and guide me in the path of righteousness, even though that path lies through the darkest and most gloomy vale - through deep and dismal shades - in regions where there is no light, as if death had cast his dark and baleful shadow there.

Gonna go Old Testament on your ass!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Demonspawn, how many people do you know that self-identify as skangers?

Demonspawn, how many people do you know that self-identify as skangers?

Well, my brother in law wouldn't call himself one but I imagine others would. He had a pretty bad go with heroin but kicked that after meeting my sister. He's actually a good guy when you get to know him, but at first glance he is what people here consider a skanger or a scumbag or whatever else. Inner city, drug addiction, loads of half siblings, etc.

It kind of proves my point that "skanger" is a very derogatory word, no different to "******" or "kike" in my opinion. Nobody would ever consider themselves a "skanger". That is the language of intolerance and ignorance and I think it's pretty vile.

Edit: So ni**er is filtered but skanger and kike is ok. :rolleyes:

Edit: It's funny really, when I hear the word "scumbag" I automatically think of politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Who is SOTS? I searched for his name to read some of his posts and didn't find it. Just really curious now, sounds like we'd probably get on.

Yeah, I admit I can be a little bit too aggressive when dealing with certain people but it's just the way I am. I don't have much time for people that go out of their way just to get a rise from other folks. I have the body of a teenager (I wish) with the demeanor of a 60 year-old. :D I'm alright if you don't intentionally piss me off but I lose it a bit when someone gets me going. I'm like MSG coated chocolate bars for trolls. God help yas when I'm actually 60, you'll have to ban me from boards altogether.

It's a shortened down version of his actual username so that's why you wouldn't have found any posts.

You say you don't have much time for people that go out of their way just to get a rise from other folks......yet some of your posts could be seen in that light. The whole aggressive part of them...like baiting someone into a heated arguement!

That may be the way you are in everyday life but on here folks get the best out of the website if they simply have a bit of manners or think calmly first before they post(even if the person you are responding to has pissed ye off rightly!) :pac:

You do let the ole emotions get the best of you so maybe try and rope them into a constructive argument?

Arguing in a constructive manner is waaaaaaaaay better. :)

It's a shortened down version of his actual username so that's why you wouldn't have found any posts.

What's his full username. You have me dying to read his posts now. :D
    You say you don't have much time for people that go out of their way just to get a rise from other folks......yet some of your posts could be seen in that light. The whole aggressive part of them...like baiting someone into a heated arguement!

Yes, but my arguments are righteous arguments for the Lord!! :D
    That may be the way you are in everyday life but on here folks get the best out of the website if they simply have a bit of manners or think calmly first before they post(even if the person you are responding to has pissed ye off rightly!) :pac:

You do let the ole emotions get the best of you so maybe try and rope them into a constructive argument?

Arguing in a constructive manner is waaaaaaaaay better. :)

Point taken. I do honestly try to be less abrasive but it can be difficult at times. I'm fairly quick to anger but I'm working on that. I'm actually pretty good on the politics forum if I do say so myself. ;) It's a shame really, I used AH to blow off steam and act like an idiot to counter the serious nature of the politics forum. I guess I'll just have to go out of the house and walk it off instead. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I would say unless you learn to play nicely with others, that's going to happen long before you're 60. You're not a mod and you're not the cops. You lose it with people on boards, and you won't be posting on boards. That's not a threat - I don't have that kind of power or influence, but that's the benefit of my 7 years of experience on this site for you. I don't know you, you could be the nicest guy in the world in real life, but the few threads I've seen involving you don't paint you in the greatest light. You're coming across as exceptionally aggressive, and people like that just don't last on boards. If you value the community, my strong advice would be to learn to bite your tongue, and grow a thicker skin. Just sayin!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

retweet-icon.png
    tbh wrote: »
    I would say unless you learn to play nicely with others, that's going to happen long before you're 60. You're not a mod and you're not the cops. You lose it with people on boards, and you won't be posting on boards. That's not a threat - I don't have that kind of power or influence, but that's the benefit of my 7 years of experience on this site for you. I don't know you, you could be the nicest guy in the world in real life, but the few threads I've seen involving you don't paint you in the greatest light. You're coming across as exceptionally aggressive, and people like that just don't last on boards. If you value the community, my strong advice would be to learn to bite your tongue, and grow a thicker skin. Just sayin!

Whatever man. What was the point in posting that exactly? I already stated I sometimes have problems with expressing myself. I already admitted I flew off the handle. Is that not good enough? Apparently not. I wonder how you expected me to respond to a post like that and why you bothered posting it. Anyway, if I break the charter rules, feel free to ban me. If not, then be so kind as to get off my back.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,508 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

He wasn't. He's a troll, it's what he does. He trolls constantly in the politics forum trying to get a rise out of people. He's got nothing to say that I want to hear. If that's harsh then so be it.

I think you are mixing him up with yourself

I think you are mixing him up with yourself

NO U!!! :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Well, my brother in law wouldn't call himself one but I imagine others would. He had a pretty bad go with heroin but kicked that after meeting my sister. He's actually a good guy when you get to know him, but at first glance he is what people here consider a skanger or a scumbag or whatever else. Inner city, drug addiction, loads of half siblings, etc.

It kind of proves my point that "skanger" is a very derogatory word, no different to "******" or "kike" in my opinion. Nobody would ever consider themselves a "skanger". That is the language of intolerance and ignorance and I think it's pretty vile.

Edit: So ni**er is filtered but skanger and kike is ok. :rolleyes:

Edit: It's funny really, when I hear the word "scumbag" I automatically think of politicians.

I can sort of see where you're coming from, but I think you're in a small minority if you think that a term applied individually based on a person's character (skanger) equates to a blanket term applied to anyone who matches a physical description (niggеr). In fact, I think the way you seem to be drawing a direct parallel between a term of abuse and a postal address is pretty damn insulting.

Whatever man. What was the point in posting that exactly? I already stated I sometimes have problems with expressing myself. I already admitted I flew off the handle. Is that not good enough? Apparently not. I wonder how you expected me to respond to a post like that and why you bothered posting it. Anyway, if I break the charter rules, feel free to ban me. If not, then be so kind as to get off my back.

my point in posting was to give you this advice: If you value your account on boards, you need to calm down, or I reckon you'll lose it. If you don't care about your account on boards, then carry on.
    You admitted you flew off the handle, but rather than apologise for that, you seem quite proud of it.

I don't really care what happens to you either way - I'm just trying to offer you some advice. If you don't want it, that's totally cool with me.

I can sort of see where you're coming from, but I think you're in a small minority if you think that a term applied individually based on a person's character (skanger) equates to a blanket term applied to anyone who matches a physical description (niggеr). In fact, I think the way you seem to be drawing a direct parallel between a term of abuse and a postal address is pretty damn insulting.

It's a derogatory word used to describe someone. What difference does it make if it's one person or a thousand? I know who people in Dublin use it to refer to. I lived there for about seven years.

If you actually read that thread and some of the replies you will see exactly what I mean. Many of the posts insinuate that a skanger is a skanger simply because of their accent. So it has absolutely nothing to do with a particular person's character whatsoever. It's a derogatory word used by a lot of people to describe someone from an inner city area.

my point in posting was to give you this advice:

Completely unnecessary but thanks...I guess. :rolleyes:

Oh, I think I get it. Are you a bit pissy because of my comments on the suicide thread? Or is it because I showed you up on the circumcision thread? Must be one of the two because those are the only two I posted repeatedly on. If you're gonna be going around recommending men should get their bits cut off then maybe you should take your own advice and bite your tongue.

Completely unnecessary but thanks...I guess. :rolleyes:

Oh, I think I get it. Are you a bit pissy because of my comments on the suicide thread? Or is it because I showed you up on the circumcision thread? Must be one of the two because those are the only two I posted repeatedly on. If you're gonna be going around recommending men should get their bits cut off then maybe you should take your own advice and bite your tongue.

good man. all the best now.

good man. all the best now.

I guess I better be extra careful what I say in tGC from now on, eh? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭King Felix

There's a thread in AH ... it consists of nothing more than post after post of mockery of people from certain areas or social groups.

Yeah, but the D4 heads, culchies, politicians, bankers, Muslims, Jews, Catholics, British, Americans etc. etc. all get abuse as well.

AH is very democratic in it's range of abusees.

Why just highlight one group?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

I appreciate what you're saying and the manner in which you said it, but there's a difference in taking the piss out of a town and taking the piss out of a particular group of people. I took offense because one of those people is actually a family member. I'm sure you can understand that. It's no different than saying "boggers are ...." because many people accept that they are considered boggers so the insult is made personal. My family is from Leitrim and Donegal so I would take personal offense to such statements. They are derogatory and only made to insult people. There are similar words used in the U.S. and you'd catch a beating for using them in the wrong company.

Anyway, like I said. Let the bigots and hypocrites have the AH forum, I won't waste my time there again.

Now I know you are taking piss.

Im from Longford so have been called bogger/culchie etc many many times but why the hell would it bother me?My family and many friends are from midlands area's and would never get offended by being called a bogger.As for comparing using the word n***er to skanger,give me a break will ya.

Snyper made an excellent point but you've pretty much ignored everything he said and have carried on with you're righteous indignation.

You really need to take a chill pill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

OP: I'm quite touchy about "scumbag" threads too (and often rise to the bait) as they often involve where I was brought up, but wanting them banned is ridiculous. The (apparent) demographic of places like AH will always make such threads inevitable. I'm honest enough to know that I'm always going to be provoked by certain topics, but that I, in turn, probably make light of topics close to other people's hearts.

stovelid wrote: »
    OP: I'm quite touchy about "scumbag" threads too (and often rise to the bait) as they often involve where I was brought up, but wanting them banned is ridiculous. The (apparent) demographic of places like AH will always make such threads inevitable. I'm honest enough to know that I'm always going to be provoked by certain topics, but that I, in turn, probably make light of topics close to other people's hearts.

I was never actually looking for anyone to get banned. I was just expecting moderators to, well....moderate. All they could have said is the thread really wasn't that funny and locked it. Problem solved. To be honest, it wasn't really a problem until I started my own thread calling middle class people pricks. Then I caught a one month ban. :rolleyes:

Oh well, live and learn I guess. Never insult the middle class, they moderate your forums from their cushy desk jobs.

nedtheshed wrote: »
    Now I know you are taking piss.

Im from Longford so have been called bogger/culchie etc many many times but why the hell would it bother me?My family and many friends are from midlands area's and would never get offended by being called a bogger.As for comparing using the word n***er to skanger,give me a break will ya.

Snyper made an excellent point but you've pretty much ignored everything he said and have carried on with you're righteous indignation.

You really need to take a chill pill.

Oh noes, that cavalry has arrived!! Damn, do you mods really find it that difficult to argue with someone that you need to call in backup? Can't you just, you know, fight your own fights? I'm good, but I'm not that good. You give me far too much credit.

Now go away, before I taunt you a second time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I was never actually looking for anyone to get banned.

Sorry, I meant wanting the threads themselves banned or locked. Should have been more clear.

stovelid wrote: »
    Sorry, I meant wanting the threads themselves banned or locked. Should have been more clear.

Ah right, yeah I guess but if it's a thread made for the sole intent of taking the piss out of people then it should be locked to be honest. It's not like it was just a normal thread with a few people acting the bollocks in it. It was a thread specifically created to abuse some people so other people can feel superior about themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Don't try to enforce your strict censored life filter on this forum, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Oh noes, that cavalry has arrived!! Damn, do you mods really find it that difficult to argue with someone that you need to call in backup? Can't you just, you know, fight your own fights? I'm good, but I'm not that good. You give me far too much credit.

LOL.

This is a feedback forum about boards,you started a thread relating to a thread on boards but throw a little strop when anyone that doesnt agree with you posts on thread.If you only wanted feedback from admins then why didnt you start a thread in helpdesk?

As for calling in back up,pur-lease,you are giving yourself far far too much credit,you really are.Do you honestly think you have that much power?

I enjoy reading your contributions for what they are,pretty funny quasi trollish posts,nothing more,nothing less.

Please keep up the good work,its raining here and its quiet in work so I appreciate your attempts to make my day go faster.
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I was never actually looking for anyone to get banned. I was just expecting moderators to, well....moderate.
    But the problem is that you expected them to moderate to your standards (whatever they may be) as opposed to the standards laid down in the forum charter & site guidelines.

You expect the moderators to be stricter, yet you quite clearly don't bother to follow some of the core rules yourself. I'm thinking here of "attack the post not the poster", based on your replies to a number of people in this thread who have offered you good & honest advice.

Advertisement