Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modify a netopia router for wireless signal ?

Options
  • 08-09-2010 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭

So i got UPC 15mb broadband installed today with a cisco wireless router downstairs but my desktop is located upstairs. Is is possible to use my old eircom wireless netopia router as a wireless adapter to connect with the cisco router?
    (Sorry if this is a dumb question)

If not, what is a good wireless adapter for 15mb broadband, under E100?

cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭KennyLegend

Dont think so. Youd have to get a Seperate wireless adapter for ur desktop. The netopia has a built in modem right?

You'd need a non ads router and u could use it as a booster upstairs if u wanted by giving it the same ssid and same security key. Just make sure they're on different channels.They'd have to be connected via Ethernet cable though.

Why couldn't they install this upstairs wired directly to ur desktop?? Would have made things a lot easier !!

They're installing one for me today. Interesting to see if I have a choice where to put the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

They're installing one for me today. Interesting to see if I have a choice where to put the router.

Just act dumb and helpless, ask really nicely and they might run a cable to another location for you. Don't bow too much - that just annoys them. It's all down to the guy doing the installation really. Most are sound enough and will help you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

Dont think so. Youd have to get a Seperate wireless adapter for ur desktop. The netopia has a built in modem right?

You'd need a non ads router and u could use it as a booster upstairs if u wanted by giving it the same ssid and same security key. Just make sure they're on different channels.They'd have to be connected via Ethernet cable though.

Why couldn't they install this upstairs wired directly to ur desktop?? Would have made things a lot easier !!

well apparently it had to go near the tv outlet which had been installed downstairs.

Any recommendation on a wireless adapter ? I hear Belkin are to be avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭KennyLegend

well apparently it had to go near the tv outlet which had been installed downstairs.

This is a load of bull!! I had mine installed exactly where I wanted it next to my pc.

Could you run a length of coax cable from the tv point to ur pc and move your modem there? Would be worth the effort cause you'd have one solid wired connection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Yes you can use the Netopia as a wireless AP but you should turn off DHCP and leave that to the UPC modem, just connect an Ethernet cable to a LAN port on the Netopia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Yes you can use the Netopia as a wireless AP but you should turn off DHCP and leave that to the UPC modem, just connect an Ethernet cable to a LAN port on the Netopia

To use it as an access point do you not need to connect the Cisco to the Netopia using a cable, which does not seem to be what the OP wants.

The Op seems to be asking if the Netopia can connect to the Cisco using wireless so they can connect the desktop to the Netopia using cable, and thereby access the UPC supplied broadband.

Or have I completely misread the request?

yes you are right but i have since bought a linksy wireless adapter. Which is working perfectly.

Thanks to everyone's help.

Advertisement