Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pulling up a carpet to fix creaking floor

• 08-09-2010 12:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭

We have been in our new house just a year, timber framed, upstairs was laid with plyboard (?). We carpeted two rooms upstairs but basically forgot to nail gun around the edges of the plyboards to secure them fully.

Now there are areas that creak awfully, only in a couple of spots, but they are big rooms. How difficult would it be to lift up the carpet and fix it, would I be better off getting the person who laid the carpet to do this? Or set my husband the challenge? It's a good carpet and i don't want to ruin it, it was laid very well.
    We've laminate in other rooms but the guy who laid that secured the boards underneath and there is no creaking whatsoever.
    Any advise appreciated.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

I'd very much doubt that it'd be the responsibility of the guy that laid the carpet, but if you want it re-laid properly, then best get the pro's in to do that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,620 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Is it fixed with gripper rods? Its fairly easy to pull the carpet back (start at a corner, grab it with pliers if necessary) and fix the boards. I would be inclined to screw them rather than nail gun, but thats up to you. Drop the carpet back into place and use a bolster (thing that looks like a massive chisel with a wide blunt blade) to push the carpet back into place. Then do another section. If it doesn't go back as well as you hoped, then get someone out from the carpet shop to relay it. I have done that several times, they usually charge around 30 to 50 euros.

Advertisement