Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfollow Thread

Options
  • 08-09-2010 12:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭

So you follow a thread. Fair enough, although following is what paedophiles do I'm still with ya.

Next thing you know the tab is saying 'Unfollow Thread'; WTF?? What the hell is 'Unfollow'? That's not a word.

Just as you can't unrun or unwalk or even unstalk how can you 'unfollow'? This ain't Twitter, this is boards.ie so we need a uniquely Irish solution to an Irish problem.

I propose we ask to get it changed from 'Unfollow Thread' to 'Feck Off Thread'.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Feck Off Thread is delicious imo.

When a thread really annoys me ( and is not in a forum I moderate ) I would relish clicking on what you propose rather than Unfollow or Unsubscribe.

It would be satisfying to say the least and would prompt me to click for the simple reason that you get satisfaction from clicking the option you put forward.

Just to be clear here, the OP started this thread in AHs and I directed him here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Change them to the "Board this" and "Bored now" buttons.

Though the 'Feck Off' button is a +1.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

RATM wrote: »
    Just as you can't unrun or unwalk or even unstalk how can you 'unfollow'? This ain't Twitter, this is boards.ie so we need a uniquely Irish solution to an Irish problem.
    Think about that for a second. Think about the context. The prefix "un-" basically means to reverse an action. No you can't unrun, unwalk or unstalk. Once you've done those things, they're done, they can't be reversed. However, if you're following a thread, then yes you can reverse that action and stop following it - unfollow it.

"Unlike" isn't a word in terms of "no longer liking" (though it is a word in other contexts), however it's perfectly cromulent.

In fact, there is nothing stopping you from putting "un-" before any word, provided that it makes sense.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

seamus wrote: »
    however it's perfectly cromulent.
    Oh no you didnt :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Seamus just embiggened the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

seamus wrote: »
    Think about that for a second. Think about the context. The prefix "un-" basically means to reverse an action.

No you can't unrun, unwalk or unstalk. Once you've done those things, they're done, they can't be reversed. However, if you're following a thread, then yes you can reverse that action and stop following it - unfollow it.

"Unlike" isn't a word in terms of "no longer liking" (though it is a word in other contexts), however it's perfectly cromulent.

In fact, there is nothing stopping you from putting "un-" before any word, provided that it makes sense.

Sorry seamus, but that's just nonsense.

If you run and then you stop running, you don't unrun. You simply stop running.
    If you follow and then stop following, you don't unfollow. You stop following.

Sorry seamus, but that's just nonsense.

If you run and then you stop running, you don't unrun. You simply stop running.
    If you follow and then stop following, you don't unfollow. You stop following.
    That depends on the context. If you think of following in the "I'm walking behind you" context, then you're right. But when you think of it in terms of the "I'm subscribed to thread" context, then it's perfectly valid. If you can undo what you've done, then "Un-" is a valid prefix. You can't "undo" your run - the calories have been burned, time has moved on. But you can "undo" the action of "following" a thread. You can't however undo the action of following a person.

Exactly, but 'follow' can only be used in the sense of a continuous action and not as a verb of changing state. In order to be able to use it as the latter, boards would have to completely redefine the verb, the way it did with 'infract'.

Not really. It can also mean "to watch the progress of", which in a loose interpretation could be a changing state. You're watching it's progress or you're not.

Language is supposed to evolve. Facebook has redefine "unlike", why can't boards redefine "follow"? Stop being so rigid and old. Man.

But you can't 'unwatch' either, or 'unmonitor' for that matter. I'm all for inventing new words when the need arises, and even for adapting the meaning of a word with the passage of time, but I can't get on board with something that flies in the face of linguistic logic.

Facebook can fuсk off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I liked 'subscribe' - because it did what it said, brought me threads from the forums I want.
    'Follow' means you're doing the work, which you're not in this case, the threads are brought to you in your subbed section.

I'm all for change, I just dislike the new terms.

/my 2c

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Wibbs wrote: »
    Oh no you didnt :D

Oh yes he diiiid.

Girlfriend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

Bring back the Subscribing I say...

Down with this twitter terminology nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Has twitter taken over Boards next we will be asked if we "like" posts :(

Sorry, if this is the wrong forum.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

We really did kick this about before doing anything but we couldnt come up with a better term (and while I lol'ed at "Feck Off Thread", it isnt a serious option :))

Unfollow is clear and while its a bit weird, I dont think anyone will be confused as to what it does, which in the end of the day is the primary purpose of communication.

DeV.

I had to check, but we are now living in George Orwell's 1984. Which in my opinion is doubleplusungood

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Probably better suited to Feedback than the Help Desk

Already a thread on this

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Elmo wrote: »
    ...next we will be asked if we "like" posts :(
    Erm... the thanks button?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Already a thread on this

So there is, threads merged

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

You can undo something, so you can undo anything if it makes sense to a lot of people. It's the only way our language can evolve to infinity and beyond.

Gordon wrote: »
    You can undo something, so you can undo anything if it makes sense to a lot of people. It's the only way our language can evolve to infinity and beyond.

So that's why boards undid the 'subscribe' button - because it made sense to a lot of people. :p

This should probably get kicked to English so the grammar nazis can condemn it righteously while the rest of boards just gets on with using it.

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Erm... the thanks button?

And it should stay that way :)

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&safe=off&rlz=1C1SVEA_enIE377IE378&q=define:+unfollow&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

The portuguese would want to watch the dumbing down of their language.

Should I unsubscribe from this thread?

So (according to that portuguese dictionary of twitter) this 'unfollow' business did not originate here but on that other... site.

So (according to that portuguese dictionary of twitter) this 'unfollow' business did not originate here but on that other... site.

How about Stop Following Thread? Or more simply unsubscribe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

DeVore wrote: »
    We really did kick this about before doing anything but we couldnt come up with a better term (and while I lol'ed at "Feck Off Thread", it isnt a serious option :))

Unfollow is clear and while its a bit weird, I dont think anyone will be confused as to what it does, which in the end of the day is the primary purpose of communication.

DeV.

Well my campaign to bring in 'Feck off thread' won't die here :D If I sponsor the Santa Strike Force for 20 quid this Xmas can we have it showing Feck Off Thread for 24 hours at least? I'm sure more people would get on board. I'm serious btw

RATM wrote: »
    Well my campaign to bring in 'Feck off thread' won't die here :D If I sponsor the Santa Strike Force for 20 quid this Xmas can we have it showing Feck Off Thread for 24 hours at least? I'm sure more people would get on board. I'm serious btw

Shouldn't that be "Thread, Feck Off"?

If you were following a thread, say, to help you get out of a labyrinth on Minos, and you didn't want to do that any more, you would simply drop the thread.

If you were following a thread, say, to help you get out of a labyrinth on Minos, and you didn't want to do that any more, you would simply drop the thread.

DROP THREAD sounds very like a techie-speak.

• Advertisement

Elmo wrote: »
    DROP THREAD sounds very like a techie-speak.

Only to a techie who would be aware of alternative uses of 'drop' and 'thread' though ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement