Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfollow Thread

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

I still think this whole follow, unfollow, my forums thing is a load of poo.
    I preferred the "Subscribe" system..

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

But then there's a comparison with 'subscribing' to boards.ie, which needs to then be explained to more people. Hate to sound like Sir Humphrey from Yes Minister again, but that way takes up admin time and makes boards just that little bit more difficult to understand for the uninitiated.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Gordon wrote: »
    But then there's a comparison with 'subscribing' to boards.ie, which needs to then be explained to more people. Hate to sound like Sir Humphrey from Yes Minister again, but that way takes up admin time and makes boards just that little bit more difficult to understand for the uninitiated.

You are correct in saying that to the uninitiated boardster that subscribing to boards is the earliest point at which you come in contact with the word subscribe, indeed the word is actually register on first entrance to boards. Newbie could be forgive for getting such words mixed up. It would not be wrong, therefore, for older more experienced board members to think that threads and forums should be subscribed to rather than followed and as a whole you registers to be a boardster. The uninitiated boardster would then surely come to the conclusion that one registers and then one subscribes. ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Subscribing is not the same as registering!

Yes, there's the confusion with Subscribing to a thread and Registering to signup to boards to get posting privileges. And there's also Subscribing to boards by way of paying a fee to receive benefits such as larger avatar and custom taglines. 3 instances where 'subscribe' can be confused.

• Advertisement

Yes, there's the confusion with Subscribing to a thread and Registering to signup to boards to get posting privileges. And there's also Subscribing to boards by way of paying a fee to receive benefits such as larger avatar and custom taglines. 3 instances where 'subscribe' can be confused.

1. Register to become a member
    2. Subscribe to be alerted to forums or threads of interest to you
    3. Paid Subscriptions - Didn't know they existed

The further problem with Follow is that the Control Panel uses the word subscribe through out user settings.

Elmo wrote: »
    1. Register to become a member
    2. Subscribe to be alerted to forums or threads of interest to you
    3. Paid Subscriptions - Didn't know they existed
    Yeah, that's how it's been described all these years, but it got changed partly due to the confusion around this, people still don't get it when you have to explain to them the differences.
    The further problem with Follow is that the Control Panel uses the word subscribe through out user settings.
    Good point, might try dropping that in the Site Development forum to request consistency, not sure if it's technically feasible to edit all occurances, but it could be put on the list.

Good point, might try dropping that in the Site Development forum to request consistency, not sure if it's technically feasible to edit all occurances, but it could be put on the list.

And mention that rather than changing the word subscribe that we ditch follow. ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Seems to me it would have made more sense to change the one term which affects a small number of users (subscribe to 'pledge' or something for paid membership) that two terms which affect a larger number of users (subscribe to thread/forum).

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Orla99

Would like to unfollow a thread..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Orla99 wrote: »
    Would like to unfollow a thread..

This genuinely made me lol. :)

Click the unfollow button at the top of the thread in question.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Old thread is old.

How did you unopen this thread oscarBravo?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I simply ununlocked it.

I don't ununderstand now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement