Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thoughts on Dance forum

Options
  • 08-09-2010 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭

My favourite type of music is dance/pop.I thought i would go onto the dance forums on boards to talk to likeminded people and maybe find a few new songs i might like. However immediately when i put up a thread there, more or less the complete thread is just people mouthing off about my taste in music..I know its lighthearted but still, if you want to entice new people to the dance section of boards, this isnt the way to do it. There are many forms of every genre and i though people would appreciate this, just from my initial impressions, they are all ignorant $#%^ that think their music is better than everyone else.

I would like to know why this kind of light hearted abuse is a loud and why cant other variations of dance be aloud to be talked about there..

Examples:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055704401

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=62132437#post62132437
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Why are you only now complaining about 2 threads from a year ago?

Also, people were just giving their opinion, hardly abuse. If people don't have the same taste in music as you, you can't force them to discuss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

yea,just that i know the music i like,is somewhat popular within certain groups.I find it a bit odd that its never talked about as a result. The above threads is the reason why its never talked about..Any new people coming to boards to talk about it would be put off due to some posters on that forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

So be the change you want to see, start the types of thread you want to see.
    Be it on events the differences of the music genre's with in dance, the history and evolution of the music, what the fave track, remix or album is etc.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Both threads are a year old both with the last post in Oct 2009, how could they have an impact on current events in the forum?

imho it seems you went out of your way to find something to justify why people don't like/discuss the same type of music as you.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    So be the change you want to see, start the types of thread you want to see.
    Be it on events the differences of the music genre's with in dance, the history and evolution of the music, what the fave track, remix or album is etc.
    Sorry i dont understand

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    Both threads are a year old both with the last post in Oct 2009, how could they have an impact on current events in the forum?

imho it seems you went out of your way to find something to justify why people don't like/discuss the same type of music as you.

Im just annoyed that most of boards is grand except for a few forums such as the one im talking about..I love my music and its poor form that i more or less cant talk about it on boards...You can just say oh,their just expressing their opinion about my music..They outright mock people that like my kinda of music..Who would want to stay and liten to that crap when they are like that.

It should be improved,is that not too big a ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Fol20 wrote: »
    It should be improved,is that not too big a ask?

No, but nobody is going to do it for you.

Start threads on relevant topics and if you feel people are being nasty or inappropriate, report the posts. The moderators will deal with it.

Using a thread from a year ago is probably not the way to go about it.

Sorry i dont understand

/facepalm

Start new threads, start intresting threads you want the forum to change and be better then make it happen, don't rely on the mods to start threads for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

OP, you starting a thread giving out about the rest of the board's music taste, I quote:
    Im just getting bored of the songs im listening to and all the threads on here seem like their pure techo/trance djing stuff.

And now, for some reason, a year later, you're giving out about other people insulting your music taste? How does that work?

If you started the thread being respectful, you would have gotten much more respectful responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

yea,just that i know the music i like,is somewhat popular within certain groups.I find it a bit odd that its never talked about as a result. The above threads is the reason why its never talked about..Any new people coming to boards to talk about it would be put off due to some posters on that forum

How can you complain about forum regulars who don't (as a group) share your taste in music??

Basically, you've walked in to a room full of strangers. Only, all these strangers are chatting together because of their shared love of music. And then you attempt to start up a conversation with some of these people - who, as it turns out have absolutely zero interest in what you're talking about. Apparently, this makes you very upset. And now, as a result, you've ran out of the room full of strangers and gone crying to your mammy cos the bigger boys aren't being nice to you??!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

they are all ignorant $#%^ that think their music is better than everyone else.

I have to say that you are both way off the mark & spot on with your comment above,

1. I dont find the folks on the forum ignorant, to say you are ignorant is that you are not up to speed on the topic in question & do not have the knowledge to give a valid opinion. Just because immediatley what you presented was not lapped up & was critisized for its appeal does not make people ignorant.

2. Everyone on the forum does think that their music is better than everyone elses but hey thats just life, i dont like what a lot of the posters on the forum like either, but i also dont like some of what my wife, brother, sister friends etc etc like either & think my taste in tunes is far superior (and it is:D)

I would like to know why this kind of light hearted abuse is a loud and why cant other variations of dance be aloud to be talked about there..

You can talk about whatever style of dance you want but doesnt mean people have to handle you with kid gloves in response.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

the whole world is full of sh1t 'pop/dance'. Far more of it on the radio and television than techno/dub/house/dnb/etc. you don't need a forum for it's discussion.

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    No, but nobody is going to do it for you.

Start threads on relevant topics and if you feel people are being nasty or inappropriate, report the posts. The moderators will deal with it.

Using a thread from a year ago is probably not the way to go about it.

Why do you think im using the feedback system...?
    If i start the exact same thread now,the exact same thing will happen,time doesnt make a difference for this problem

Thaedydal wrote: »
    /facepalm

Start new threads, start intresting threads you want the forum to change and be better then make it happen, don't rely on the mods to start threads for you.

How will starting threads help,the same thing will happen and anyone actually interested in my music will be put off from looking at the dance forum.

Without mods help,it will never change..the way they take the piss out of you is like after hours,id accept it there but not in a forum i would like to talk seriously

ianuss wrote: »
    How can you complain about forum regulars who don't (as a group) share your taste in music??

Basically, you've walked in to a room full of strangers. Only, all these strangers are chatting together because of their shared love of music. And then you attempt to start up a conversation with some of these people - who, as it turns out have absolutely zero interest in what you're talking about. Apparently, this makes you very upset. And now, as a result, you've ran out of the room full of strangers and gone crying to your mammy cos the bigger boys aren't being nice to you??!

WOW!!

Fair enough if they dont like my music,but at least be constructive in their comments.All of their thoughts were directed at me,not the music..

I keep reiterating the point that this group of people are more or less alienating new comers to the forum if the music is not to their taste.

I ran to my mummy because i dont think the mods there are doing enough

jtsuited wrote: »
    the whole world is full of sh1t 'pop/dance'. Far more of it on the radio and television than techno/dub/house/dnb/etc. you don't need a forum for it's discussion.

Yes i know there are lots of outlets,however i like boards and would like to talk about it there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

Look, the people on the that forum love their music. It's not their fault you keep posting rubbish tracks.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

OP, the problem is that basically like a lot of interests that people get quite passionate about - dance music is kinda snobby. Most people initially start off listening to the lower quality but more easily accessible music (Trance, Hard House, Electrohouse etc), but as they learn more about it and get more knowledgeable about the music, their tastes refine and they end up listening to better quality stuff from more reputable labels and artists.

If you went into a forum full of experienced Chefs, and asked which type of frozen pizza or pot noodles they like, they are going to laugh at you. If you went into a forum, where people have performance cars like BMW’s and Lamborghini’s, talking about your 1991 Micra that you just got big lairy exhaust on, you’re going to get the same thing. The same thing happens on the EM forum. The other factor to remember is that a lot of us on this forum know each other and meet at Gigs etc – so with this in mind it’s going to be kinda clicky.

However over the past while we have had quite a few new members who’ve come in knowing very little, but they lurk and read all the posts and ask questions – generally learn more and more, join in with the banter, and become regular posters and well known members. There is a lot of slagging that goes on – but it’s all in the name of a bit of fun – the lads regularly take the piss out of me and sometimes my choice of music – but you have to take it with a pinch of salt.

WOW!!

Fair enough if they dont like my music,but at least be constructive in their comments.All of their thoughts were directed at me,not the music..

I keep reiterating the point that this group of people are more or less alienating new comers to the forum if the music is not to their taste.

I ran to my mummy because i dont think the mods there are doing enough

Report the posts and if you feel the mods are not taking the personal comments/abuse seriously then talk to the cat mod.

Zascar wrote: »
    OP, the problem is that basically like a lot of interests that people get quite passionate about - dance music is kinda snobby. Most people initially start off listening to the lower quality but more easily accessible music (Trance, Hard House, Electrohouse etc), but as they learn more about it and get more knowledgeable about the music, their tastes refine and they end up listening to better quality stuff from more reputable labels and artists.

If you went into a forum full of experienced Chefs, and asked which type of frozen pizza or pot noodles they like, they are going to laugh at you. If you went into a forum, where people have performance cars like BMW’s and Lamborghini’s, talking about your 1991 Micra that you just got big lairy exhaust on, you’re going to get the same thing. The same thing happens on the EM forum. The other factor to remember is that a lot of us on this forum know each other and meet at Gigs etc – so with this in mind it’s going to be kinda clicky.

However over the past while we have had quite a few new members who’ve come in knowing very little, but they lurk and read all the posts and ask questions – generally learn more and more, join in with the banter, and become regular posters and well known members. There is a lot of slagging that goes on – but it’s all in the name of a bit of fun – the lads regularly take the piss out of me and sometimes my choice of music – but you have to take it with a pinch of salt.

I understand where you are coming from,however iv liked dance music for at least 5years and still have the same taste..Is there a better forum on boards to talk about this type of music.I know the music is geared a bit more toward people djing themselves but there has to be a spot somewhere on boards where my music isnt thought of as trash and people only hitting puberty now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

I think the analogies Zascar drew are on the head, one more if we stay along the same lines,

If you went into a heavy metal forum that was full of Sepultura, Pantera & Slayer heads day to day & tried to begin a def leppard thread you would be bottled out of it (metaphorically) by the regular users.

To be honest i couldnt care less if yer into Barbie world by Aqua but if you go into a forum where you dont find any like minded users i just dont see how you can complain that the mods arent doing their job when you are met with alternate viewpoints.

Yes there are a few 'Techno Snobs' as Scubadevils put it in a poll once but there's also users that arent and you have to take it all on the chin, you cant have it all your own way.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

seriously, the mods /cmods / admins cannot force the other posters to like the same music you like nor can we force users to like a book or all drink the same beer or become fans of vintage boxes of Blue Nun.

if you want to discuss your preferred type of music, then by all means, discuss it. Not everyone is going to agree with you. thats the way it should be, thats what makes a discussion. if a user is abusive in their disagreement though, thats when you report it and the mods will take care of it.

HOWEVER, there is a balance here. not every disagreement is abusive and not every difference of opinion is grounds for a report. the mods may not feel that a reported issue warrants action, thats why we have mods and its their task to make that call. If you feel that you cannot ignore the odd mild jibe or criticism of your music then I would advise that you decide not to discuss it in public and instead find, either on boards or elsewhere, a group of posters who have nothing bad to say at all. But thats more of a fan club than a discussion board.

Ultimately, we dont decide what is discussed. We just try to ensure that the discussion can take place with some degree of civility and mutual respect when opinions differ.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

LoLth wrote: »
    seriously, the mods /cmods / admins cannot force the other posters to like the same music you like nor can we force users to like a book or all drink the same beer or become fans of vintage boxes of Blue Nun.
    Blue Nun - LOL - brilliant - best analogy yet!

OP please feel free to start a new thread or continue you're existing one - I'll keep an eye on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

If i start the exact same thread now,the exact same thing will happen,time doesnt make a difference for this problem
    Crap music is timeless like that.

50 years down the line, my grandchildren will be digging through my memory box when they uncover a battered copy of "Evolution of Dance." Curious, they'd give it a spin before running to my arms and lamenting, "Holy ****, that's the worst ****e I've ever heard in my life. That Basshunter made some horrible clangers, I'll bet he was an awful tool, wasn't he, Granda?."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Clunk Click Every Trip

Do you mind me asking why this thread was closed..

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056072408

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Do you mind me asking why this thread was closed..

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056072408

This is not the forum to ask such questions.

Please contact the mods in question.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement