Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new parts help

• 08-09-2010 1:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭

im upgrading and old bike(85 peugeot) and i need a new bottom bracket and chainset so i would like to know what parts you think would be best on a budget(i dont know yet if its a french b.b. yet but hopefully shoulnt be) i intend to use the bike for fitness and maybe a few charity cycles so nothing major. i would like to get good mid range stuff for a 6 speed bike
    any help is greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

It may not be worth upgrading, unless you intend changing the rear cassette, rear derailler, chain and chainset, your going to find it very hard to find new parts for this bike. Most bikes nowadays are 8,9 or 10 speed and the parts are not compatible with your bike.

Is the chain worn? Get one of these. If your chain is worn, I'd recommmend a new bike. If the chain is not worn, ride the bike in its current set-up. Once the chain is worn, get a new bike.

visit www.rothar.ie, they may have second-hand parts (or even a bike)which may help, but i still say "get a new bike".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I would say get a new bike too. Bike standards change and parts differ. Much like if you bought a 1960's VW beetle for €500, the cost of servicing and restoring it would be more expensive than buying a 2010 VW Beetle.
    There comes a certain point with old bikes where "fixing it up" is no longer economical and instead is "a project". 10-15 years is usually this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

True, but to be fair a new VW beetle costs over 23 grand and you would never spend that much on a restoration! In the same vain you can certainly upgrade a nice steel framed bike for not that much money. I mean a new BB (Non French) and chainset doesn't have to cost the earth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

You'd easily spend that kind of money. You'd spend close to €8k on painting alone...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭granda

i understand what you mean by getting a new bike but this bike has served me well over the years and i think its time to breath a little more life into it, the frame is perfect and i just want to upgrade the b.b. and crankset as they are old and worn out, plus over the years ive replaced brakes,front and rear derailleur so why not the b.b. and chainset

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

happytramp wrote: »
    I mean a new BB (Non French) and chainset doesn't have to cost the earth.
    No, you're right.

What I'd be concerned about is that a modern chainset, even a cheap hollowtech setup, would suit a different chain gauge than he has at the moment. Though he'd have to replace the chain anyway. A new chain then requires a new cassette - which may not be compatible with his rear hub. A new chain and cassette would likely require a new rear mech, which in turn requries new shifters. Before you know it, you've spent €400 shoehorning new components onto an old bike.

Now, my suspicion here is that chains haven't changed much in 30 years, so a standard 7-speed shimano chain and a 6-speed freewheel cassette should work fine with his existing setup. In turn, any modern-ish cheap chainset should work fine with a 7-speed chain.

It's hard to say though without seeing the bike and trying the parts out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

If it was mine I'd be looking at something like these:- http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Unbranded-Alloy-Compact-Double-34-50-170-mm-Steel-Rings-Chainset-13441.htm and http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=34652

It wouldn't be worth it to be spending a lot on BB and chainset for the bike.

granda wrote: »
    i understand what you mean by getting a new bike but this bike has served me well over the years and i think its time to breath a little more life into it, the frame is perfect and i just want to upgrade the b.b. and crankset as they are old and worn out, plus over the years ive replaced brakes,front and rear derailleur so why not the b.b. and chainset

If the chainset is worn, then the chain and rear sprockets are also worn. You'll pick up a cheap chainset and BB, but you'll have to replace the chain and rear sprockets and I don't know where your going to find these parts, as second-hand parts won't do. They have to be New.

you've already replaced all the parts that you can ( brakes deraillers etc.) as these parts have not changed much over the years. Also your gears are operated by friction levers on the frame, so indexing is not an issue.

I suggest if you really don't want to part with this bike, you source a new chain and a 6 speed "block". if you can't get these, then there's no point replacing the chainset.

Alternatively You could buy a new rear wheel, new 8 or 9 speed cassette (not a 10 speed), new chain, new chainset and a new BB. That would get your bike back on the road. your existing front/ rear reraillers will work as long as you use the existing friction levers.

Best of luck.

seamus wrote: »
    Before you know it, you've spent €400 shoehorning new components onto an old bike.

Tell me about it. It's an awful addiction.

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Alternatively You could buy a new rear wheel, new 8 or 9 speed cassette (not a 10 speed), new chain, new chainset and a new BB. That would get your bike back on the road. your existing front/ rear reraillers will work as long as you use the existing friction levers.

Best of luck.

Probably a good idea, that way you've got a decent set up if you want to upgrade your frame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

If the chainset is worn, then the chain and rear sprockets are also worn. You'll pick up a cheap chainset and BB, but you'll have to replace the chain and rear sprockets and I don't know where your going to find these parts, as second-hand parts won't do. They have to be New.

6 speed screw on freewheels are also available:- http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/category.asp?cat_id=78&pf_id=&jump=0&sfile=1=

Halfords also:- http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_209833_langId_-1_categoryId_212383

lescol wrote: »

6 speed screw on freewheels are also available:- http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/category.asp?cat_id=78&pf_id=&jump=0&sfile=1=

Halfords also:- http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_209833_langId_-1_categoryId_212383

I stand corrected!...Still say get a new bike though! :D

thanks for all the replies they are helpful and it seems 50/50 get a new bike or fix my one up so tomorrow i ging to my local bike shop and see what they say they will be the deciding vote or maybe my heart will be we will see(i really do like the bike but dont tell the wife she just says 'what more s**t for the bike) i'll keep you posted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

If it was bought new in Ireland its more than likely BSA/british threading.

A Shimano or Stronglight JIS bottom bracket should cost 7-18euro new.
    7 speed chain maybe 10euro, more modern chains would be too narrow for 5/6 speed freewheels. You can buy NOS Shimano 105 chainsets from USA for 30euro plus shipping on ebay. (secondhand a good quality 130bcd chainset should cost 20euro) degrease all the old parts and re-lube, fit the new parts and it will be like new again (new bar tape, brake and gear cables, brake pads, tyres etc would make it newer!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

lescol wrote: »
    6 speed screw on freewheels are also available:-

I got a new 7-speed freewheel not so long ago from http://www.rothar.ie. That would fit instead of the 6-speed without problem.

granda wrote: »
    thanks for all the replies they are helpful and it seems 50/50 get a new bike or fix my one up so tomorrow i ging to my local bike shop and see what they say they will be the deciding vote or maybe my heart will be we will see(i really do like the bike but dont tell the wife she just says 'what more s**t for the bike) i'll keep you posted

Well? What did the bike shop say?

didnt get down today so it will have to be tomorrow or saturday

Advertisement