Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Harvest Festival - Big street Party

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

I'm looking forward to it :)

I think its great that, ever since the new bridge opened, we can reclaim the Quay from cars for events like this. Over the long term I really think tourism will increase because of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 William NoMates

This looks cool - weather permitting :D

I'm based in dublin - is the new road open yet? I was down there a while ago and it was partially completed... I like waterford, particulary in the summer.

It will be a handy spin for me if its open.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

This looks cool - weather permitting :D

I'm based in dublin - is the new road open yet? I was down there a while ago and it was partially completed... I like waterford, particulary in the summer.

It will be a handy spin for me if its open.

All the way down from tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭pommers

Be a great weekend in Waterford:Dlooking forward to it:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

What days and night will the Quays be closed off,thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Ms MEL

The Quay and the carparks are closed this Sunday (12th) and next Sunday (19th). Think traffic might be affected this Saturday night while the Big Street Party is on but I don't think the roads are closed for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭larchielads

any news whether your your allowed drink down at it as in bring cans. where exactly is the music bein played, the plaza? heard they're expectin around 3-4000 people to attend and if the music is bein played at the plaza it aint gonna cater for that many people.

so anybody got any more details,been on the website it just says there'll be music and who's playing but not where they're playing. it doesnt say where the bar is situated prob gonna cost a fortune for a pint and if its only one bar there'll be a few thirsty and annoyed people waitin around and knowin our luck it'll prob be rainin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Is there going to be a schedule for all the music acts too I wonder? Looking forward to Cathy Davey but would like to know what time she is on at.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭RockPaper

any news whether your your allowed drink down at it as in bring cans. where exactly is the music bein played, the plaza? heard they're expectin around 3-4000 people to attend and if the music is bein played at the plaza it aint gonna cater for that many people.

so anybody got any more details,been on the website it just says there'll be music and who's playing but not where they're playing. it doesnt say where the bar is situated prob gonna cost a fortune for a pint and if its only one bar there'll be a few thirsty and annoyed people waitin around and knowin our luck it'll prob be rainin.
    On their Facebook page they say...

Event finishes around 10.30, You cannot bring your own drink but there's a bar on site. We're making up for having to pay for drink by putting on an awesome free gig! The stage is behind the Plaza facing the crane. There'll be food glorious food and lots of fun fun fun!

Are kids under 18 allowed at this event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭larchielads

how big is the bar goona be will it cater for the crowd thats expected?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Really poorly advertised i think. Nothing in Waterford today about this free gig at all, very lazy stuff.

Boooourns wrote: »
    Really poorly advertised i think. Nothing in Waterford today about this free gig at all, very lazy stuff.

Think you're being very harsh there considering that brochures relating to the festival were distributed to nearly every house, they have a facebook page, it's been up here all week, it was on RTE/TV3 and WLR, and it was on Aertel last night, the Munster Express and News and Star and the national dailys have covered it and nearly everyone I've met is talking about it.

Stopping short of sending out personal invitations I think its been fairly well advertised.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

was at this last night. good set up mostly and a nice crowd turned out, but the sound was crap unless you were right in front of the stage.
    might take a stroll in around the food fair thing on the quay today. looks like it could be a tasty afternoon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Was at the food fair today and there was a great crowd and and great variety of stalls. However I was disappointed in that they were all squashed into the car park. I thought that when the Quay was closed off they were going to use it. The tight space made it a bit uncomfortable at times especially for parents with prams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I thought it was brilliant too but a bit of a squash especially for a heavily pregnant woman! Perfect day put though, I had seaweed, crepes, thai and Lebanese food while himself had 2 piggy in a blaas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

I was there on sat night and had a great time. I was a little annoyed though that there were only 6 toilets to cater for the crowd. If they were expecting 4000 people its a little bit silly to expect that 6 portaloos would be enough. I know there were more there on sunday but the queues on sat night were crazy. I pity the poor guy who parked his landrover in the dark behind the toilets. Lets just say his car got 'washed' regularly by men who were caught short.

The sound at the gig was really good. If you were between the desk and stage. After that it got lost into the air. I dont know if they were restricted because its a residential area but I thought it was fine for the crowd that was there.

I also thought it was a bit 'Irish' to close off the quays and cram everyone into the car parks while busses and taxis were allowed to drive up and down all they liked. It was a little bit shortsighted.

Overall though I was very impressed with the weekend and I hope its back next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Boooourns

jimbojazz wrote: »
    Think you're being very harsh there considering that brochures relating to the festival were distributed to nearly every house, they have a facebook page, it's been up here all week, it was on RTE/TV3 and WLR, and it was on Aertel last night, the Munster Express and News and Star and the national dailys have covered it and nearly everyone I've met is talking about it.

Stopping short of sending out personal invitations I think its been fairly well advertised.:rolleyes:

I was on about the free gig which had a great lineup of talent, the food festival itself was well mentioned but the gig itself which i thought was excellent was poorly advertised.

Boooourns wrote: »
    I was on about the free gig which had a great lineup of talent, the food festival itself was well mentioned but the gig itself which i thought was excellent was poorly advertised.

Again the free gig was part of the overall festival and was well covered in the brochure, the newspapers and radio - as with any festival there is a certain amount of "finding out for yourself" involved just like in the Spraoi.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I went down for the gig Sat night, and everyone I talked to was hoping to see Cathy Davey and Lisa Hannigan. However, nobody was sure what time they were playing.

We went down at around 8, but then we heard that they'd both played, then others saying they hadn't. We ended up getting fed up and went into Jordan's for a pint instead.

The line-up and times should have been made available in all the pubs around town in order to get more people going down for a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

The Harvest/Food festival isn´t over yet .... lots of cool stuff happening this weekend ... they do great updates on their facebook page ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

comeraghs wrote: »
    The Harvest/Food festival isn´t over yet .... lots of cool stuff happening this weekend ... they do great updates on their facebook page ...

Is the market on again this weekend? Last Sundays was fantastic, only got to see a bit of it due to the rain

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

the only complaint i have about this was the order which the bands played, and all the mixing/matching. i think it would have been better in the original format of each band playing a set and then make way for the next one.

either way though, free outdoor entertainment in september, nice one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

KingLoser wrote: »
    the only complaint i have about this was the order which the bands played, and all the mixing/matching. i think it would have been better in the original format of each band playing a set and then make way for the next one.
    I heard that it was the bands/musicians themselves who decided to mix it up like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Barule wrote: »
    This Sunday will be quite different to last Sunday (although there will still be loads of hot food available!).

Along the Quay, there will be vintage tractors, threshing, sheaf pitching competition (world champion from Mayo will be taking part), agri-aware mobile farm, tug of war, plus a Dawn Meats food to plate Marquee.

11am to 6pm, bring the whole family along...:)
    A mobile farm :D
    Is that to reduce food miles?

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

I heard that it was the bands/musicians themselves who decided to mix it up like that.
    I still think it didn't work as well as maybe they hoped. But it's all here nor there, grand night, enjoyed it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

KingLoser wrote: »

either way though, free outdoor entertainment in september, nice one!

I enjoyed that aspect of it to be honest, although if they do it again they'll have to improve the sound quality

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Any of ye down there this weekend?

How did it go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

comeraghs wrote: »
    Any of ye down there this weekend?

How did it go?

Not a great finally to it, to be honest!!
    The activity on the Quay was about a quarter the size of the previous week!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Poor turnout yesterday alright. The quay was deserted.
    A few around the threshing alright but that was about it.

Advertisement